HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s the passenger side dogleg done.  Big job, on/off/on/off.  Got there in the end.  Reckon I might keep going on this side and do the floor and also the top above the door repair.  Also got the hinge someone kindly donated, and with a bit (lots) of heat got it freed up and the pin out without damaging it :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s me for the long weekend, 4 days straight on it I ‘m stuffed!!  Got the passenger floor in, took a bit to get it right around the A pillar.  Then also used the donor wheel well Cooped kindly gave me to repair the front section of it.  They were pretty good just needed some new metal around the edges.  It’s all in, haven’t fully finished welding and smoothing it off but very happy with the progress.  Also over the weekend decided to make myself a mount for my small sheet metal stuff so I don’t have to keep swapping things in the vice.  Happy days!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Getting there, I like the stand idea, I really need to build something like that..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers. Yea have been thinking about it for a while. Turned out well.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s the passenger side floor and wheel well done.  Managed to salvage enough of the floor to make up a patch panel where someone in its life had attacked it with a machete!!  Making a start on the repair above the door, man that’s a can of worms, but slow and steady wins the race.

Profile photo of

Should go on Lego Masters Gary!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol. Thanks IJ. Seriously it’s a massive head scratch for me each time on how to tackle each part. At least with the floor I plan on using dynamat over it all so it won’t be seen anyways.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s the section above the passenger side door done, what a pita, working above you head is never easy, especially welding etc.  But pretty happy with the results.  I think that’s the passenger side front pretty well done.  So prob time to spend some time with the grinder and tidy everything up.  Then its swap it around on the hoist and get stuck into the drivers side.  Slow and steady wins the race!!

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

You have been smashing it out Gary

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks mate.  Won’t lie. It’s a big job!!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Been busy on other projects lately, but got a bit done yesterday.  Started off with a shed cleanout to get back to some sort of order.  Then spun it around on the hoist so I can get at the driver’s side front.  The first job is the inner closeout panel on the B Pillar.  Still need to do the funky top section.  Then will get stuck into the dogleg.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Managed another day on it today, hopefully, the other projects should come to an end next weekend, then I can get stuck back into it.  Got the driver’s side B Pillar inner finished off, removed the joining strip to the old dogleg and got the new dogleg fitted.  Came up pretty nice.  Slow and steady wins the race getting it fit the best you can.  I used tek screws and started with it hard against the B Pillar then gradually worked forward using screws to hold it in place getting the gap and position right as I went.  Once I had it all welded it up.  Still a little bit to finish off around the A-pillar but it’s in, and happy with the result.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Back onto it today.  Would like to get the wheel housing and drivers floor done this weekend, see how I go.  Got the repair done on the wheel housing.  Used the donor part Cooper kindly gave me.  Was actually in pretty good condition, just had some rust on the bottom so made up a repair, turned out pretty neat.  Then tacked it in place with tek screws then carefully sliced it to get a nice join line 1mm wide.  Slow and steady wins the race, got it all welded up.  Pretty happy with it.  Tomorrow will have a crack at the floor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Floors are in.  Took my time to set the gaps etc as good as I could before welding.  I think I have said it before but I think that’s the secret to good welds.  Even gap, and both sides level.  Also had to remake the area around the bottom of the A-pillar, that wasn’t even close.  Actually quite a zenny job, just bopping away to some tunes out in the shed and slowly chipping away at it.  Few bits and bobs to finish off and that’s pretty much the front end done.  Then I think onto the cargo area, back of B pillars etc.  Happy days!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

That came up really well considering the start point!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, mate, I think so too.  Really starting to actually look like something eventually you could drive.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Another fun day today.  Thought it was about time got I my sanding vibe going.  So spent the day getting all around the windscreen nice inside and out.  Just sort of did it one straight section at a time.  Used the welder to plug anything I hadn’t filled completely.  Then progressively sanded all the welds smooth.  Super happy with how it’s all tuning out, really starting to feel like I am making progress.  Then decided to have a crack at straightening the bent radio area. Just took my time, and applied a bit of heat.  Its actually come up pretty well.  Plenty good enough anyway, I don’t want to destroy all its character.  The last thing is I turned it around on the hoist, time to finish off the cargo area, back of B Pillars etc.  Happy days.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

It’s a credit to you Gary, very impressed by the work you’ve done!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers IJ!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Woo Hoo, our beautiful Creative Engineering polished aluminium front door window assemblies have arrived from the UK.  Can not wait to do a test fit and see how they look.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.