This topic contains 124 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Nick, yeah pic 7 & 8 going down are a bit like what I was trying to do. Mainly for me (as I have the Exec console), pic 7 is close as I wanted to have the gauges single pod like projecting out & angled up to the driver. Hoping it would look almost like a factory thing if it was neat enough. So for pic 7 I would actually have them more centred a little smige lower & projecting. With pic 8 I had the brown section made if a black fibreglass, but would then require the bottom half of a stato console to match up with it to look right. So wasn’t really what I wanted to do. The brown section is a flip down door compartment isn’t it ? Instead of hiding the gauges behind the door I was looking to have them always seen & not use the area behind for anything other than gauge location. Cheers Deek

Yeah brown section is the flip down lid. But they have drilled holes in it to house the gauges, something I don’t want to do. I like having things hidden/factory looking so most people wouldn’t notice the mod unless they know the cars.

They look a lot neater hidden if your planning to do them under that wood grain door. If you can angle them also it makes a difference. Esp if they are short sweep. Out of interest what gauges and how many. 3 under the radio looks the neatest IMO

I like the three under the radio too but seeing can be a problem because to take your eyes off the road. Ideally in the dash like pic ten but I like factory/hidden look. There will be three gauges and they are the VDO Titanium series (Pic Below). Volts (may change to oil pressure later), Oil Temp for trans atm (might put a switch in to change between trans and engine) and Coolant Temp.

I like them under the radio look wise too, but the only thing I have found with mine is even with them angled they are not easy to read at a glance if your concentrating on driving. That’s why I did the one for the trip computer spot for oil pressure so its a much easier spot to keep an eye on at a glance, would also be a good spot for boost or maybe even lamda. Having a good mess around right now actually on the CAD trying to see if I can get them for Nick sitting so the bezel sits inside the recess in the lid, so he has that clean look in the stato dash.

One of the reasons why I didn’t like them there. Most people use that trip computer spot for boost or Air/Feul ratio that I have seen. I hope it can be done because I know it will look great. Thanks for helping out with this once again Gary.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My pleasure mate, as is often the case there’s more to it than I first thought, but all part of the fun.  If you get a chance post up a link to that spray on suede kinda stuff will ya?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s like a split second glance to look down under radio. It’s not bad.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

yeah I had guages under the radio in the Calais it wasn’t a big deal to keep an eye on things down there while driving, it’s neat and out of the way with them down there too

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

My pleasure mate, as is often the case there’s more to it than I first thought, but all part of the fun. If you get a chance post up a link to that spray on suede kinda stuff will ya?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTO-DASHBOARD-FLOCKING-ADHESIVE-KITS-3-COLORS-TO-PICK-FROM-/271946023248?hash=item3f513f0150:g:OVcAAOxy-WxTBlno

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-FLOCKING-KIT-BULK-KIT-Dashboard-Flocking-Flock-Flocked-Choose-your-Colour-/262316188772

I have done it once before but the results were average. Need something to spread it nice and evenly. I did it on a dashboard and spreading it but hand caused it to clump up in areas. If you use a sieve I think that would get a better result.

Here are some links to people that have done it.

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthread.php?26396-DIY-Dashboard-Flocking

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

For me under the rad is good and neat for gauges you periodically keep an eye on like temps etc but just not the best for something you want to see at redline or instantly.  I’m much happier with oil pressure up in an easier to see spot.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

This is how I did my old VN.  Oil pressure is mounted on the steering column where it was easy to see (just not with this camera angle).

Better angle

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^Lots of nice ideas, whats the lcd screen gizmo in the top left corner above?

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

G-tech pro.  Measures acceleration with a couple of accelerometers and using weight it can calculate power/torque.  Can measure distance to so you can simulate 1/4 mile run.  It’s not 100% accurate compared to actual 1/4mile run but it’s very repeatable.

edit:I should add that it measures engine rpm via it’s electrical supply and therefore can plot a use-able power curve too.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^nice bit of kit.  Sorry for the thread hijack btw Nick!!

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

All good, don’t mind at all. I was actually on the look out for a digital colour screen that could show what any gauge could. But anything like that is expensive, compared to running analogue gauges.

Did find this though which would look good where my gauges would otherwise go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380315272748?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARK-Design-MFD-Digital-Meter-Display-Gauge-/380313663180?hash=item588c75f6cc:m:mEklKwhElreh8buA3s-o2zA

Not sure how accurate these would be but the look cool.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

There is just some really cool stuff around these days I reckon. I love the fact you can configure them to show whatever you want.  Btw, made some great progress with your gauge plate this week end, just printing out the (hopefully) finished version.  If all goes to plan I have actually been able to do it so the gauges sit exactly inside the top and bottom edges of the cover plate so it functions perfectly.  Took a bit of doing, so fingers crossed ;-)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I have a the zietronix with the Ndash witch is a pretty neat bit of gear

has a thousand different fronts and gets it data from obd2 witch means 5L are out unless your using a LS PCM like me but picks up every thing like rpm, boost/vac, IAT, coolest temp, every signal your PCM has even spark advance, can get EGT sensors witch I have 1 of and wide band sensor, can fit fuel pressure or any fluid pressure actually as well

im currently in the process of making this wide band talk to efi live for my data logging, up to date been using a innovate wide band

also here is a pic of my gauge install witch is prett useless now I have Ndash working except mechanical oil pressure

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So the nDash just plugs into the odb port?  Do you have to program it or does it just work?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah plug it into port and for basic things for the zt2 wide band like power, ground accessories power , if you want egt then wire for that to the sonsor

it’s a wide band 02 ay so it always comes with that so a cable and a 02 port into exhaust

its all pretty simple, just like wiring up a gauge really

once in and turned on just select GM obd2 and that’s it

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Ndash plugs into obd2 port and another cable from ndash to a little box that is ZT2 wide band

that box has power, ground and so on and can also have egt sensor, fluid pressure or temp

it has a Bosch Lsu wide band sensor and a cable from ZT2 to sensor

from zt2 box to ndash is a serial data cable, they sell splitters and can split that so it goes to ndash and a spare

that spare is what I’m running to efi live

in efi program you just need to pic the language it’s speaking so efi live understands it

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looks like a good bit of gear.

i was going to run my racepak via obd2. But your limited on the parameters the ls ECU can send. Stupid shit like it will tell you timing advance but no oil pressure  :scratch:

Is there any delay with signal. The racepak when operated with an ECU earlier then 2008 via obd2 had a lag.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Can only get about 6 signals at once on any screen on zietronix so no delay

efi live is the same, if you put to many parameters on screen it gets delays up

yeah that’s why the mechanical oil pressure is only gauge worth having, the sender in LS and holdens is a on off type thing not a sensor that has a 0-5V signal so it can not tell you pressure

can only say yep I’m good or Ooo shit I’m under 6psi or what ever it is that it comes on at

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah that bit silly but ahh well.

Min the racepak the actual sign is delayed. Not sure why but it is with pre 2008 ECU.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.