This topic contains 124 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

After nearly 11 months sitting in the shed I got the old girl registered and drove around for most of Saturday. Main reason for registering it was a quick photoshoot at the GMH plant. The main photos were only taken inside one spot in the plant. Haven’t got those photos yet, but here is a couple I took on the way out. Saw a Series 2 Red VF wagon and thought I’d stop and take a photo next to it. Then a quick one outside the main canteen too. So happy I got this opportunity thanks to dad.

After this I went to a mates house in one tree hill and then to another mates workshop in Holden Hill. So it got a bit of a drive and it went well with no issues. Still need to get my speedo fixed and the tuned touched up for the diff gears, but other than than it was great cruising around in it again.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of NickVR NickVR.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of NickVR NickVR.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very nice, I have just seen a pic of a mate of mine with a beautiful green bagged HJ at the plant, was it a club day cruise?

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Nah, no club thing. I saw that car on facebook, looked awesome. It was for employees to have there cars photographed. My dad had his HQ done a few months ago and when they announced they were doing another one he put his name down so I could get my car done. They will be doing another one next year so he will get my cousins torana for that one.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of NickVR NickVR.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool as :)

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Tonight after work I found 5mins to fit my over flow bottle. Looks the goods, still trying to work out how to get rid of the dayco writing. Tried lightly sanding and no luck yet. Might be deeper than first thought. Hopefully I’ll find a way to remove. Otherwise not too fussed. Fits great too.

Before

After

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Its laser etched the logo let me know how you go it bugs me too

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^looks fabulous (the whole bay I mean!!)

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

So you’re happy with the quality of the overflow ?

I’m keen to get one but my local retailer won’t have stock until the new year.

Profile photo of vspete
    vspete
    Participant

What are they worth?

Car still looks good nice to see a newer pic.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of vspete vspete.
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks guys. Always try and keep the bay looking good. The quality is great for an aftermarket product. The Dayco symbol is the only down fall. As for price they retail for about $75. Others on the forum have got them cheaper. I have 3 in stock at work atm.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Did the rocker cover gaskets yesterday on it. Everyone that has owned or worked on a 5ltr, knows how difficult that one bolt at the back of the head can be.

Hopefully it has stopped the leak I had previously.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, gotta say its one of the things they got right on the LS motors, removing and refitting the rocker covers is simple as.  I do remember what a pita it was with the 5L, hopefully that’s sorted your issue.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Many front bumpers have been booted over that bolt. Wait til u snap one…..

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Hahaha, never booted the bumper. Fair few words were yelled everytime I dropped the tool or the bolt. Lucky it hit the floor everytime. The LS rockers certainly are better positioned.

Took it for a fair drive on Monday, enjoyed every minute of it too.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of NickVR NickVR.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Funny someone hasn’t come up with some nice screw in mod or something to make it easier, but I guess its one of those pita jobs that hopefully you don’t have to do too often.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You can buy arp studs for the rocker covers. But they booster would prob be in the way.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Hopefully not a job I have to do too often. It’s only that one bolt though, the rest are easy.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hopefully not a job I have to do too often. It’s only that one bolt though, the rest are easy.

yea understand, if your only doing once here or there not worth the effort/$$ of changing.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Yesterday I went to get the car retuned to suit the diff ratio change. I has 3:73 gears now and have done the 1000k’s plus and diff oil change that is required before seeing a dyno.

Was all going well until the tuner went to load it up on the dyno and the engine light came on. I had never seen the engine light come on for anything before. He looked in to it and it was trans related. Looked at the trans temp and it was fine at around 86 Degrees, coolant temp was a bit high but nothing to be concerned about. In the end he found the trans was slipping at high rpm. The allowed slippage (engine speed to trans output speed) factory limit is 200 (not sure what the numbers meant, I assume RPM) but mine got up to 850. Checked the trans fluid and it was full, didn’t smell burnt or anything so it might be 3-4 clutch needing to be replaced. He didn’t go any further with the tune as it was pointless if the trans was going to slip.

Today I went to see MV Automatics after being referred there by a couple of mates. Spoke to the guy about what it was doing on the dyno and possible causes. He agreed that it sounded like 3-4 clutch was probably worn but they can check that and fix it easily. I also spoke to him about the converter and getting one suited more to the cam that it has (Crane 272, from what the tuner can tell). He suggested a stall size of around 2200-2300 would be perfect for it and they can get mine rebuild to suit it. All up the job will be around $1300 providing that is all that needs to be done. I said to look over the rest of it and see if there was anything else that he would recommend upgrading too while it was out because if I ever want more power or even chuck a whipple on it then I want to know it can handle it. Now to save up some funds and book it in to get it done but the cost was about what I was thinking which is good but will budget a bit more just in case he comes back with other things he recommends.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Be interested to see what he recons for the clutch pack & mods.  IJ seems to be able to get one to hold together (I couldn’t) They just seem to be a very hit and miss kinda deal, some make them last, but some (like me) get a few 100 k’s and they let go.  Trouble is its basically box out every time there is an issue and that starts to build up the $$ and lose its humorous side very quickly…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.