HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralFuel Systemsnew hard line routing

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

I have been thinking about changing the fuel hard lines to run not in the standard position in the tunnel. has anyone else done that?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, I have run totally new lines front to back.  I went hard lines from the tank to the rear of the tunnel, then used braid with P clips across over the top of the transmission tunnel to bring the them up on the passenger side where there is more room.  Will see if I can dig up some pics if you want?

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Yep, I have run totally new lines front to back. I went hard lines from the tank to the rear of the tunnel, then used braid with P clips across over the top of the transmission tunnel to bring the them up on the passenger side where there is more room. Will see if I can dig up some pics if you want?

Keen to see the pics, I was going to do the same to mine

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks neat, Gary was this something that needed to be considered engineering wise?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No mate, wasn’t for engineering, more fuel flow for the power I want to make. With the LS conversion there is next to no room on the drivers side to come up where the original fuel line is, so moving it over to the passenger side was much easier.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I more meant im sure there are requirements like how close they can be to exhausts etc. I was thinking this is something you might need to consider when making them up.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sorry,  I see, seem to be having a small run of not understanding the question properly!  Actually the lines is not something the engineer himself focused on, but when it was up in the air being checked over at Regency they looked at everything.  I don’t recall there be a minimum clearance though.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Yeah I don’t think there is too much emphasis put on fuel line modifications from what I’ve heard and seen, it’s funny though considering it could be one of the most dangerous parts of a car. I think<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”> it’s more of a common sense thing. As long as it’s secured and not leaking or put anywhere it shouldn’t be, I think you’re alright. </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>We run 1/2″ rubber fuel hose from the front to rear on nearly all of our conversions admittedly it’s wrapped in taipan plastic hose wrap and well secured but it’s still just hose. M</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>ost of the conversions we do are engineered and road registered,</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”> so I’m sure if you do a neat job with metal tube you’ll be fine.</span>

most of the conversions we do are engineered and road registered

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

I made new hard lines for my VK with LS engine. Used 3/8 steel for fuel pressure and return also run one 5/16 steel line for charcoal cannister which I fitted at the rear above the axle housing. Run them from rear to across back of trans crossmember and then up into the trans tunnel (as VRsenator 065 has done). Hard lines finish above bell housing onto a bracket using  bulkhead fittings then aeroflow stainless braid hose to fuel rails.

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Pics of fuel lines. The fuel line mounting brackets I used are off a VN commodore. Main reason I did this was not enough room to run them all in the original position and too close to the exhaust.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of dave dave.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks Dave, description and pics are great. I’ll more than likely do something similar, just without the return line. Will also need to sort out the charcoal canister, do you have any pics of that?

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

The charcoal canister I used suits a VN or VP I think. Has 3 pipes on. One from the engine purge valve, one from the tank vent and one goes to vent filter. I put the vent filter as high up as I could inside rear wheel arch attached to top of fuel filler tube.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks Dave

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ might be a VT tank?  They are rectangular and mounted down the back by the fuel tank I think?

Heron SSV
    Participant

^ might be a VT tank? They are rectangular and mounted down the back by the fuel tank I think?

Yep you’re right. Just had a quick squiz on eBay, they have a nice compact shape to mount at the back near the tank.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thought so, I was going to use one, but there’s less room on an IRS rear, thats why I just went the original VR tank alongside the rad in the bay in the original spot, but hooked up to the VZ purge valve.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey all in nz we can not use rubber lines for fuel has to be hard lines under car that is ,each end can have small amount,  when i do mine i am going to run it inside the car with the brake line as long as it has bulk head fittings so not joins in the car

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Yeah that’ vt type cannister…the earlier vr-s small cannister are nice to use can have them on radiator as factory or tuck them under with bumper bar bolt bend metal line to outside of rail & use longer lines.

Glad I’m not only one fussy about fuel lines & tank mods lol

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.