This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nevin Nevin 9 years ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Na didn’t mean leave it in bog finish just meant if I did the stereo area then would I have to do the gear knob surround etc, so I could get the same finish. I have got a small out of painting experience. Done a couple dashes before.

Billet would be insane…  Not the style I am after tho haha

Got a show holiday at the end of the week so might try use the long weekend and get something done up. Will have to pull the double din out of the daily to get the size,  I’m sure the missus won’t mind having no stereo for a couple days lol

Nevin

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Wasn’t going to post any photos until this was done but have been struck with a question.

As you can see from the photo I have a fair amount of space under my head unit (45 mm) and was wondering what I could put there.

My first thought was to put a pocket back under the stereo, big enough for myphone, lighter etc. I think this would be functional but it’s not super exciting.

Things like switches buttons etc. Would be cool but I don’t think I have a need for many switches haha.

If anyone has any ideas let me know. Cheers.

Nevin

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Hsv sticker

Clubsport sticker

The missile switches to turn on the 3 stage progressive nos system

Profile photo of SSEN8R VS #1081
    SSEN8R VS #1081
    Participant
    Supporter

you live in Qld and don’t use A/C? I’m in Bris and crank mine all the time, but I think my leather seats may have something to do with it. I used to live in Darwin – thank god my A/C worked….

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Hahaha if only right.

Hsv logo could be mad.

Nevin

Profile photo of vnssnv
    vnssnv
    Participant
    Supporter

Hsv logo and 2 missile switches. 1 for thermo fan override and the other for line locker ;)

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

you live in Qld and don’t use A/C? I’m in Bris and crank mine all the time, but I think my leather seats may have something to do with it. I used to live in Darwin – thank god my A/C worked….

yeah mate, my first 3 cars didn’t have working AC and have never really been one to use it once i got a car with it. Each to their own i spose.

I think if i was looking to build a daily would have AC for sure.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Nevin Nevin.

Nevin

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I’m same

I use A/C when it’s rip rawing hot or raining and need windscreen de misted but apart from that I prefer window down

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

How have you done that with the stereo area ??

What have you used ?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just some ideas

The air vent one is something I was toying with. So doing a gauge mount up in the main dash fascia like Pete’s Manta, and then seeing if there was a way to use some flexible tube like vacuum cleaner hose to route the air to the new vents. I was going to walk around a wrecker and see if there was a vent the size to fit off another car. If you wanted it to look factory, maybe just mount the original switch block lower?

Just some rough ideas.

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

How have you done that with the stereo area ?? What have you used ?

Went with your suggestion of fibreglassing it. Yet to finish it tho

Just some ideas The air vent one is something I was toying with. So doing a gauge mount up in the main dash fascia like Pete’s Manta, and then seeing if there was a way to use some flexible tube like vacuum cleaner hose to route the air to the new vents. I was going to walk around a wrecker and see if there was a vent the size to fit off another car. If you wanted it to look factory, maybe just mount the original switch block lower? Just some rough ideas.

Thanks man! I think the AC idea is out as I have removed the heater core to fit the double din head unit.

Im still thinking pocket may be the option, would give it the most ‘factory’ feel. not that that is what im chasing but i think anything else might be out of place???

Perhaps something like this…

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-DIN-STORAGE-POCKET-with-FLIP-LID-stereo-radio-facia-fascia-kit-dash-panel-/251551445527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a91a27217

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Nevin Nevin.

Nevin

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

A pocket would look good/factory but I don’t think you have the room (height) for a single DIN?

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

yeah height is my only concern when thinking pocket? i dont think i could fit the one with the flip lid but may be able to get one like this and cut it down slightly so it fits. I think i could make it work but still undecided, as a Hsv Logo embosed in there would look pretty wicked I recon.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-SINGLE-DIN-POCKET-1990-facia-fascia-kit-adaptor-dash-panel-178mm-wide-/250740626884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a614e55c4

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Nevin Nevin. Reason: Forgot to add the link hahaha

Nevin

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Nevin

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Bit of a progress update… Still got along way to go but have done the dash and centre console. Loving how it’s coming along.

Nevin

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

cool to see someone trying something different.

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Missus posted this on her Facebook from a couple years ago. I had put the rims off my vy on. Wasn’t a huge fan of it Hence the change back to the tri spokes.

Nevin

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.