This topic contains 138 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 355VK
    355VK
    Participant

Nice build up ,your work is looks great !

Profile photo of shy304
    shy304
    Participant

Great work, given me a couple of ideas for my vh ls1 turbo build

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

Not to much to report

just been plumbing the catch can and smoothed the rocker covers (removed the coil bracket mounts) and painted them wrinkle black.

Got a VR V8 long range fuel tank, cleaned it up and painted it, had to modify one of the VR tank straps to suit the VK.

Went with the VR tank as it has the return line built into the pump/sender unit assembly verses directly into the tank on other models, and I had seen quite a few where the internal return hose had perished and broken, so returned fuel would not be helping refill the intank bucket.

The plan is to fit a Walbro intank pump to feed the surge tank.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Red1m8 Red1m8.
    Profile photo of capssy
    capssy
    Participant

Ignore me if im wrong here but wouldnt you be better with a low pressure  lift pump in the main tank if your running a surge tank there wouldn’t  be a reason  to run such a big pump prior to the surge would there afterall youll have a pressure pump after it.

wouldn’t  you be running the chance  of aeration in the  fuel inside the surge force feeding it on start up and when the main pickup gets air

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of capssy capssy.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^that’s the way I understand it also, in fact with mine at first I (wrongly) ran a nice Holley billet pump as the lift pump.  It died after a little while as it was basically sitting there running flat out the whole time trying to pressurize the surge tank, it got hot and crapped itself.  Actually you only need a low pressure pump for the lift.  All its doing is quietly sitting there keeping the surge tank nice and full all the time, but not under any pressure, its the main pump that does the work when you step on the gas.  Great build btw, not criticizing at all, just trying to share my stuff ups to save you from them :)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

The intank pump will have no regulator, so in effect it will have low pressure and high volume and returns via the factory fuel pot which from my understanding creates a venturi effect to further fill the pot. So as long as the main tank doesn’t get too low it shouldn’t be a problem.

Its gonna need a reasonable volume to keep up with two 044s feeding 1000hp.

I have a similar setup on my VX, but only run the factory intank pump with regulator disabled, to feed a surge tank and two 044s, seem to work fine.

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

I guess the factory VR pump would be enough to keep the surge tank topped up, but being a used unit of unknown miles, I would prefer a new intank pump.

I’m always happy to here what others have done, that’s the beauty of these  forums, we all learn from each others builds.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I totally agree, to me this is where forums shit on fb.  Unfortunately on fb you get anybody commenting, and you really have no idea their experience.  At least on here you are only getting those of us that are interested and (hopefully) have half a clue.

Certainly nothing wrong with making sure all of your fuel system is 110%.  Especially with a turbo car, last thing you want is it leaning out and going pop (touch wood).

Just remember though that lets say you have a 3L surge.  Even if the lift pump failed totally, you have 3L of fuel in the surge to draw on.  Its not hard to calculate out even at wot how long that will run the engine for on that.  Prob enough to do a quarter run.

Having said all that there are a million different opinions on fuel systems.  If you are chasing a genuine 1,000HP (like I am one day), I would suggest you chat to someone in the game like Jack Hayek at Earls in Qld, (but I am sure there are others), but Jacks great.  A fuels system for a boosted 1,000HP car is a key part of the puzzle and because of what happens if you don’t get it right is something worth spending some time on imo.

edit: in case you wanted it, Jack Hayek, Earls Performance, 0418 420 493

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

My VX is making around 950hp flywheel, the fuel system works great, so I’m sticking to a similar formula, but will be running bigger fuel lines -10 feed and -8 return plus a 2000 hp capable Turbosmart FPR2000 regulator just incase I add a third 044 on a hobbs switch and convert to E85 down the track.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My VX is making around 950hp flywheel, the fuel system works great, so I’m sticking to a similar formula, but will be running bigger fuel lines -10 feed and -8 return plus a 2000 hp capable Turbosmart FPR2000 regulator just incase I add a third 044 on a hobbs switch and convert to E85 down the track.

Nice, I mean if what you have is proven, why change it.  This things gonna be a weapon.

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

Progress has been slow, but just had some custom coilovers built by Suspension Tech.

using Koni rebound adjustable inserts, soft setting should allow reasonable weight transfer for drag strip, and hard will be plenty for powercruise style track events.

450 lb springs and heavy duty adjustable top hats.

Heaps of tyre clearance now for the 20s as well, so ticks all the boxes. :good:

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Red1m8 Red1m8.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

The feed from tank to surge is low pressure. Need big lift pump

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

Back on the ground

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

What a monster!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That looks sinister. Love it.

Whats left to do?

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

That looks sinister. Love it. Whats left to do?

Thanks, pretty happy with how it’s coming together.

all the expensive stuff left –

build engine

build trans

drveshaft

Paint

wiring…

Profile photo of Daggs68
    Daggs68
    Participant

Eagerly watching this build  :yahoo:

awesome !!!

cheers

Darryl

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

nice fab work looks good. shame there is no better pic of the new lower radiator support. i assume you made it with some rectangular section around the 10mmx30mm?

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

nice fab work looks good. shame there is no better pic of the new lower radiator support. i assume you made it with some rectangular section around the 10mmx30mm?

Car is at panel beaters at the moment getting a few bits tidyed up before paint.

will get a pic when I can, but I believe it is 50 x 25 with a tube back brace.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.