HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVT – VX – VY – VZMy fourth boat – 2004 VY2 Calais

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mistikal Mistikal 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mistikal
    Mistikal
    Participant

Sold the WH Statesman as the to-do list was getting a bit long and becoming expensive… made a tidy sum on that, and purchased this instead!

Name: Andy
    Model: 2004 VY2 Calais
    Colour: Heron White
    Bodykit: Nil
    Engine Type: 5.7L LS1
    Engine Mods: Ramjet air intake, dyno tune
    Power: 275rwhp (current/old tune, to be redone)
    Exhaust: DiFilippo 4-1 Extractors, hi-flow cats, Manta Twin 2.5″ cat-back
    Gearbox: Slugomatic, serviced Mar 2016
    Diff: Factory 3.07-ratio LSD, Nulon LSD oil (works a treat)
    Brakes: Front — AP Racing CP5200 4-piston Calipers, 330mm rotors, QFM racing pads. Rear is stock with Bendix pads
    Suspension: Front — Ultima struts, SuperPro bushes (Inner LCA, F&R radius rod, strut top hat) Nolathane Sway Bar Mounts & Link Pins, Kings SL springs. Rear — KYB struts, SuperPro sway bar bush kit, Kings SL springs
    Wheels/Tyres: 19″ VZ Series 2 Maloo R8 wheels
    Interior: VZ Calais Black Leather Seats, VZ Calais Piano Black Centre Console Surround
    Stereo: JVC Headunit, disconnected factory subs (blown), Sony 1000w Monoblock, 12″ Sub
    Other Mods: Nil
    Build Period: Purchased 2nd Aug 2015
    Cost: Cheap!

List of things to do:

• Professional detail with buff/polish/wax/etc
    • Repair crack in middle of lower section of front bumper
    • Retune to suit new exhaust mods, and delete MAF sensor
    • More mods!

Pic is after 10 minutes of ownership, wheels not yet on the car.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Mistikal Mistikal.
    Mistikal
    Participant

Finally got off my butt and cleaned my ‘good’ rims… they’ve only been caked in brake dust for ohhh about 12 months!

Looking to bolt them onto the new car tomorrow.

Mistikal
    Participant

Wheels on :)

Need to get new wheel caps and nut caps to finish them off.

Profile photo of Surfwagon
    Surfwagon
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice, neat and tidy looks great with the HSV rims, dresses it up a bit more.

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

those Maloo rims are worth mega bucks, I reckon they look awesome but can’t get over the price :( They look mint on the calais though, just lose the mudflaps  :good:

Mistikal
    Participant

Mudflaps are only left there to hide the discoloured paint. When I eventually get a chance, they will be removed :-)

Profile photo of hally
    hally
    Participant

Maloo rims suit it nicely, needs some low now :good:

Mistikal
    Participant

Hasn’t been for a drive yet for springs to settle  ;-)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Looking good, see these on the road now and again and they’re always head turners! :XD:

Mistikal
    Participant

I’m happy with it so far, haven’t had a chance to drive it yet – 5 more months until Mr Plod gives me back the plastic card!

Mistikal
    Participant

Still slowly plodding away with this, and collecting parts … all the while being hampered by no license, and no employment!!

Have taken the DiFillipo extractors and cats out of storage, ready to fit to the car once I have the necessary gaskets. Also looking to replace the OTR as I am not happy with the RAMjet, after being told of a few issues with the design from a tuners perspective.

Have fixed a multitude of small issues while the car sits in the garage awaiting its drive on the open road by yours truly; stereo now functions as it should, every globe in the car now works, 6500k HID kit installed, cracked front bumper temp-fixed until I source a replacement, new factory floor mats installed, interior detailed to within an inch of its life, and all fluids and filters changed throughout the car – motor, box and diff.

Getting there slowly!! 2 more months!!

Mistikal
    Participant

License has returned, huzzah! The above mentioned “full fluid change” never happened, because reasons… however I am getting a fair bit done on the ol’ girl in the coming days/weeks, in this general order:

• New caster bushes at the front
    • New radius rod bushes in the lower control arm
    • New outer tie rod ends
    • New front wheel bearings
    • New front struts, complete – not just inserts
    • Wheel alignment, and rebalance wheels/tyres
    • Oil & filter change – been about 12,000km
    • Diff fluid change – never been done
    • Fit my AP Racing 4pot calipers (CP5200’s) and 330mm discs
    • Full brake fluid flush – never been done
    • New water pump & thermostat housing, with new thermostat
    • Full coolant change
    • Replace tail-shaft, rubber bushing in the centre bearing is knackered
    • Box fluid & filter change – never been done (or at least, its never been documented)
    • Fit the DiFilippo extractors and cats – now have all the gaskets I need, fingers crossed I don’t need the O2 sensor wire extensions
    • Full retune, as I hate the current tune in it – box tune is horrid

Once all that is done, I will be happy with the mechanicals, and it will be time to move onto the smaller jobs – things such as upgrade all interior lights to LED, replace the front drivers guard which was damaged when the wheel bashed it over a bump while turning, etc etc.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Mistikal Mistikal.
    Mistikal
    Participant

Have made a start on the list above…

All new bushes through the front, aside from sway bar mounts which I will do later as the current Nolathane ones appear to be a-ok. Front caster, rear Z bar, inner LCA are all now SuperPro bushes, wheel bearings are done, as are tie rod ends and front struts. Chucked in some ‘new to me’ Kings SLs as I didn’t realise it was sitting on standard springs (shocks were that munted it sagged). While it was all apart, the brakes were also changed over to the AP 4pots.

Next on the list is replacing the tail shaft as the rubber coupling is totally shagged, finally fitting the headers/cats (waiting on O2 extension leads), replace the rear springs with the Kings SLs which match the front, full fluid and filter change (diff, box, motor oil, coolant, power steering), replace the fuel tank as current one is bent (will do pump while I am at it), then send it off for the tune.

No need to do water pump, as it appears to have been done. Same goes for heater tap.

Mistikal
    Participant

Went and looked at a set of VZ Calais leather seats, paid a deposit, pickup and install will happen very quickly as I got them for a song!

Updated photos coming soon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.