This topic contains 27 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris (agentcrm)
    Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Hello everyone, So my Statesman was looking like it was nearly finished So I wanted something a bit older to make into a custom / hotrod cruiser. I found this old 1202 Skoda Combi on gumtree for cheaper than dirt. It’s Right Hand Drive,  imported by Czechoslovakian Consulate back when it was new, that probably makes it the only one in Australia, hence why it was dirt cheap. Is it now in my garage waiting for me to get a few bits and some extra cash.

At home under my carport.

The stock motor, air cleaner is in the boot so I can fix the carb (got it running after cleaning it out). The 2 hoses are for the heater.

The original style wheels under the hubcaps, will get repainted White. Though I’ve found they’re too small to be from the right model.

Stronger wheels fitted these are of a Felicia and the rears (pictured) have already been widened, still 15″ though.
    I think they’re Dunlop Aquajet (yep that’s how long it’s been since this has seen the road) ER70V15’s on the rear and Baunm(???, they where made in Czechoslovakia) 165SR15 on the front 4″ wide rim.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

So one of the interesting things about this car is the driveline. the 45hp :o 4 banger only revs to about 4k but the gearing is such that it will take of in 3rd! 4th is 1:1, from the factory service manual that I have (and translate what I need) says it’s 5.25:1 with a flat out top speed of 100kph.
    Before anybody suggest upgrades it’s a torque tube car and the diff bolts directly to it, with Swing are IRS and a monster transverse leaf spring. (yup, original mud flaps. I’m not going to leave them on the car though)

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And that’s why its Commodores plus!! Nice work, I love it a quirky kinda way :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Needs much more LS Chris!

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

IJ – an LS starter motor would twist the chassis in half :p

The Chassis (like bellow) wouldn’t be capable of more than 200hp. I’d have to design a new chassis for a normal FR gearbox.

The gearbox sits right against the front of the tube (other pic). A custom FWD style box would be the easiest (ironically) to get a 5 speed.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

that’s a wierd chassis! Will make a cool cruiser though.. Do you plan on upgrading the drive line at all or just restoring the car?

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

that’s a wierd chassis! Will make a cool cruiser though.. Do you plan on upgrading the drive line at all or just restoring the car?

Yeah it is. A bit of both, mostly restore with a bit of modernisation.
    I’ve bought a Italian made DCOE to replace the old Russia made Carb.
    It’s going to get rewired as it’s positive earth at the moment, though it all works at the moment. :D

Profile photo of EJ DUDE
    EJ DUDE
    Participant

If/when you lose interest in this thing in 12months you’re selling it to me, k thanks.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

If/when you lose interest in this thing in 12months you’re selling it to me, k thanks.

Hahaha, not likely. I’ve had it for over a year now without doing anything to it. :p

Also parts for this are imposible to get without the right contacts. (and probably a visit to Prague)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sounds like a perfect reason to head to Europe :)

Profile photo of EJ DUDE
    EJ DUDE
    Participant

Just looking at it and you’d be hugely surprised at what can be restored, and how many parts would fit/be the same as more popular models.

i have a sneaky suspicion if you did some research and digging most FIAT parts from the period would be the same or bolt straight in.

FIAT controlled and/or influenced a massive majority of 60’s small cars throughout Europe/USSR/India

Infact they actually designed and oversaw the Lada plant in Russia. I could go in and in haha, I’m pretty knowledgable with  car history and manufacturing post war.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

wow, proper Russian/european tech there with the positive earth!

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Just looking at it and you’d be hugely surprised at what can be restored, and how many parts would fit/be the same as more popular models. i have a sneaky suspicion if you did some research and digging most FIAT parts from the period would be the same or bolt straight in. FIAT controlled and/or influenced a massive majority of 60’s small cars throughout Europe/USSR/India Infact they actually designed and oversaw the Lada plant in Russia. I could go in and in haha, I’m pretty knowledgable with car history and manufacturing post war.

I could drive this on the road as it is if it had a screen, the brakes and clutch need fixing but otherwise it’s fine.
    From what I found out talking to other Old Skoda owners, Czechoslovakia wasn’t part of the USSR. Which is something I didn’t realise, even though it was behind the Iron curtain.
    I doubt Fiat would really fit, the chassis design is from the early 50’s 1200. Mine even has the really old coil springs in oil vat dampers. (see pic)
    The parts I need are unique to this car and aren’t even shared with other Skoda models of the time.

I plan on keeping this old girl way longer than my Statesman.

Attachments:
    Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Since there’s a bit of interest, more pics :D

But First a vid of it running.

It’s huge inside. with the back seat down it 1.8m deep!

Spare tyre and Original jack (handle is in the boot) in their compartment under the boot floor.

It’s not even run in yet. :D

Under the rear seat, Spot what’s missing from the door on the other side….

Rear bench, Spot what’s missing from the door on the other side….

Hmm, bit of wiring mess to clean up. Probably from when it was converted to right hand drive.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

no window winder?

Profile photo of vnssnv
    vnssnv
    Participant
    Supporter

The door handle

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

no window winder?

The door handle

Getting close, it was a trick question. There is no door, it has 2 front doors and a single rear door on the drivers side.

Attached is a couple of pics from the advert.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

a 4 door wagon WITH a tailgate! Very odd haha.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

a 4 door wagon WITH a tailgate! Very odd haha.

3 door wagon with a tail gate, even weirder :)

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Yup, the Yanks made a few Silverado’s the same way.

This kinda has 2 tailgates as the spare tire sits behind one under the boot floor.

Not my car but shows the 2 tailgates.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.