HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool RoomModifying that did not work

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan811 Dan811 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

So what are the mods you have done to your or any car that didnt work out so great

obviously I have a few and the stupidest one so far is

I tryed to lightly spray paint the trip computer switches as they are grey and every thing in my car is black

neadless to say I can not press the buttons now as the paint has jammed them up lol so I’m just stuck with what ever is on the trip screens when I start it up now  :unsure:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

lol, mate thats hilarious :)  You will have to give me a while, so many to choose from!

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

I didn’t do such a great job of putting a new rear main seal in my ls1!

also managed to mess up the input and overflow nozels on the corvette filter/Reg, even had summit supply a new one free of charge before I realized my mistake  :good:  felt like such a moron because they are different sizes and I knew which was which to start with!

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

i got a custom twin 3 inch ss exhaust system built

wasnt cheap either $1000 on mufflers, $300 for cats, $2000 to build it plus a new set of 5002 pacemakers that also got HPC coated

was shit

over time I choped the entire thing up and built it properly my self only using the 2 mid mufflers from orgional purchase worth $600 or so

car not help but feel like I waisted money there  :cry:

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Modifying the secondaries (collector pipe pre-cat) after installing HSV mid throw tri-ys, went from 1 1/2″ with the OEM torque ring to 2 1/2″ to match the outlet diameter of the primary merge.

Also widened mouth inlet to stock cats and same with outlet to flange. Coz made sense restriction and all that.

Lost bottom end, made it doughy and droney, hideous fuel consumption, but at least it sounded like more power near redline!

Answer was stop guessing based on what looks right with maybe less restriction and research into header design, led me to lengthen pre-cat with smaller dia mandrel, use HFC.

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^all we were able to do in the old days was guess, well based on what we thought at the time was state of the art knowledge.  Its really not that long ago that if “big was good” then “bigger must be better” was often the prevailing thought.

Profile photo of Smitty
    Smitty
    Participant
    • Melbourne
    • GEN-F R8 SV340 HSV Tourer, VK club touring race car and Kwaka ZX12R

• View build HERE

^all we were able to do in the old days was guess, well based on what we thought at the time was state of the art knowledge. Its really not that long ago that if “big was good” then “bigger must be better” was often the prevailing thought.

.. ABSOLUTELY

thought Smitty as he was quietly running a 1/8″ drill bit thru the main jet on the downdraft Strommy on his ‘soon to be’ hot red motor.    :wacko:

Well I was only 17 at the time…..  B-)

the 179 really did not run well after that…  :cry:    and I had NFI why  :unsure:

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Smitty Smitty. Reason: spallin
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sort of belongs in this thread…

Back in the day my Dad and I had built a very fast LC GTR Torana.  Of course I had no money for a decent diff.  So I think something like 5 diff centers later got talking to a mate who raced Mazdas.  Cant be that hard to make a welded diff (like a poor mans spool back in the day)  we say.  So I take the center into work, he welds it up for me, and I proudly fit it.  Literally the next morning I drop my misses of at her work, give it its first decent boot full and the center exploded.  Like literally the gears and pinions just dissintegrated.  Kinda think we didn’t quite get the heat treatment quite right after welding it  :wacko: Oh well back to the drawing board…

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

I tried taking off my harmonic balancer on my old VZ SV6, to fit an underdrive balancer.

Never used a 3-prong puller before, couldnt work out how to get the damn balancer off. So i took the bolt out of the snout, and tried to screw the puller INTO the crank snout…

As I was tightening the puller it was crushing the thread inside the crank snout, and just as I was tightening it up, my cousin came in and screamed at me just in time to stop me from doing it any tighter.

It was so close, but the balancer bolt JUST grabbed enough of the thread inside the crank to be able to screw it back in. He did the rest for me, and I changed my underwear, having realised I very nearly had to replace the crankshaft…

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

A mate of mine (when he was 18) was doing a service on his car and forgot to put the sump plug back in. He only realised after pouring in 5 litres of oil that it was all over his garage floor.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Ooo how could I forget these 2

first one was with my first car a 83 Toyota camery I had, it was red so fuck it fast lol

not to much of a modification but it had a flat battery from lights been left on so had to get it started some how, so been 17 and knowing Every thing I thought I would use the battery from my oldies car to start it then put my battery back in it while it was running

I know right, brilliant

all was goin well till I got my mate to tighten up the battery terminals as we where putting my flat battery back in while it was running lol, he crossed the positive terminal over onto the steel bar that was holding the battery in place and the whole lot burst into flames

Not knowing why it was on fire and been right near a pond with a bucket I thought I was on a winner and throw a bucket of water over it

bam am it was out, for about 1.4 seconds then the flames come back twice as big

bam another bucket and another 1.4 seconds and now the flames are well above the bonnet

another bucket as this was happening pretty quickly an now half the engine bay is in flames and I seen this spanner glowing red hot  lol

luckly a piece if timber was also near me so I managed to knock it off with that and then the bucket of water subdued the flames lol

new battery the next day and she was sweet as again lol

tgen years later with my beloved manta and I use to have a big ass stereo in it, one day I got a twin 2 1/2 exhaust system of my mates clubby and took it to the shop to be fitted

all was great and off we drove, car was quiter, smoother, and had more power witch did t take us long to figger out

we got a massive 5km up the road till someone from across the road yeld out to us, me and my mate looking at each other wondering who was that we continued on, it only took another 5 seconds and the car shut down

As I was stopping neather of us could see anything as the entire car was filled with white smoke in a matter of seconds

Been experienced with fire I popped the bonnet and raced around the back and grabbed the fire extinguisher as I got to bonnet my mate had his shirt off using that to open the bonnet and I hit it with the extinguisher

luckily my mate was on the ball and seen the battery terminal glowing red hot so with his shit he ripped it off with a few big yanks

turns out the exhaust they had just fitted was hitting my power cable for amps and the 2 earthed out

new battery and some new earth cables from battery to engine and chassis and we where good to go again lol

since that my land cruise also cought  fire when I crunched the trailer plug reversing into it and holding brakes on while on side of road while on phone, I simple jumped out and let the flames die down and continued on my way not overly concerned lol

i did t even end the phone call and my mate next to me was freaking out lol

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

True recent story, had a guy I know in Gawler ring me to take a look at his car problem “coz you know about cars Gary”

Some boring piece of fwd jap crap Camry.

So he has done an oil change, but for some reason the car wont now move out of his driveway and it doesn’t sound right when he starts it.

I go over, why would changing the oil mess up the transmission?  So I check the oil, that’s weird, its reading really high on the dipstick?  Start looking around, get under the car, get him to tell me what he did.

Yep, thats it, he has actually drained the auto trans, then put the new 4l of oil in the engine.

So he has 8l of oil in the engine and zero in the trans, and the guy is a maintenance planner…

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

^^ bahahaha I will admit I actually did this last year to my Magna in the drive way while the manta was not able to move of the hoist

i realised straight away what I had done though

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^^ bahahaha I will admit I actually did this last year to my Magna in the drive way while the manta was not able to move of the hoist i realised straight away what I had done though

I must admit its not super simple to tell which sump plug is which, but…. it was hard to keep a straight face when I realized what he’d done :yes:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I only did because I didn’t even jack it up, I just reached under and undid any old bolt and when oil come out I thought that’s a winner and just filled it up again lol

as as soon as I started up and it didnt move I went are you dumb ass lol, didn’t even think hay this bolt is a little to far to the passenger side for a east west motor lol

classic stuff, would be piss funny finding some one who done it and did realise lol

Profile photo of Smitty
    Smitty
    Participant
    • Melbourne
    • GEN-F R8 SV340 HSV Tourer, VK club touring race car and Kwaka ZX12R

• View build HERE

True recent story, had a guy I know in Gawler ring me to take a look at his car problem “coz you know about cars Gary” Some boring piece of fwd jap crap Camry. So he has done an oil change, but for some reason the car wont now move out of his driveway and it doesn’t sound right when he starts it. I go over, why would changing the oil mess up the transmission? So I check the oil, that’s weird, its reading really high on the dipstick? Start looking around, get under the car, get him to tell me what he did. Yep, thats it, he has actually drained the auto trans, then put the new 4l of oil in the engine. So he has 8l of oil in the engine and zero in the trans, and the guy is a maintenance planner…

I can vouch for that sorta error.. as it reminds me of what my cousin did when he got his new second hand V8 XT fairmont.

Drained the engine, new filter… all good !  Then put 5 litres in but the engine disptick showed nothing  so he went and bought another 5 litres of engine oil and started pouring it in. But after another litre and a bit the oil spat back… out of the auto trans disptick tube!  ooops  :scratch:

at least he had not started up the engine…… :good: which of course had no oil

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

There isn’t enough Bandwidth to cover my decades of brainfarts  :XD:

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

A friend of mine did EXACTLY THE SAME THING… He called me up and says:

“I’m a bit confused.. I thought i’d top up the oil but I realised after i put about 10 – 15 litres in that you aren’t supposed to fill it to the top. I checked the dipstick and realised I put way too much in. So I jumped underneath and undid the bolt but only like 2 litres came out. Where did the other 10 litres go, and how do I get it out?”

Immediately I laughed and said: “get it towed man, and whatever you do DON’T start it. You’ve way overfilled the oil, and just drained your transmission fluid”.

I wouldn’t call it the worst mistake in the world, but I still remind him of it when I see him :)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.