This topic contains 146 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I just brought what I needed. I couldn’t tell you what a complete kit has. But if it saves you the effort. Just get it and keep the extras for a rainy day.

Will you be assembling the Cam etc with the engine out?

Do you need a sump gasket? I may have one.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

going to pull the engine apart before I fit it into the VY, i’m guessing it will be easier

Adam at Precision is the one that told me to buy them separate, im just not sure if the conversion set he has quoted me on has the head gasket (GSC2234KD) im guessing it does, there description doesn’t say nothing on the website. i’ll double check when i order them and i’ll let you know about the sump gasket once i work out what is included.

I’m still not sure which fuel pump i need. do i need to go Walbro GSS341 or GSS342 for the VY

i have purchased a used VY ls1 Fuel pump assembly, which has the stock pump and built in reg -do i need to remove this when i upgrade the pump? and run a aftermarket reg

besides this stuff, i then just need to get a VZ ls1 Radiator and radiator/heater hoses, im going to replace the Power Steering pump, and once the engine is apart get the pushrods

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262009924739

You could call these guys. THey sell the whole assembly inc a Walbro.

That corvette filter/reg goes outside the tank.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok, I’ll look into it,

is it safe buying Walbros off eBay with the amount of copys that are around

And then I just replace my filter with the corvette filter/reg?

that seems too simple

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I would from either tuff car parts or aftermarket industries.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Could anyone tell me if the VZ heater hoses between the heater tap and heater core are in a different shape or position to VX/VY ones

i know the heater tap is the same part number and that the front heater hoses are different, between the heater tap and the engine block (as the radiator setup is different)

Holdens list different part numbers from VZ against the VX/VY one’s, but Mackay and Gates, list one some part numbers the same between the models

I was just going to order VZ ones, can’t see much down in that area, where there fitted that will cause an issue. I know VZ brake booster/masters are different, but don’t know if it’s because this and as far a I know the heater core inlet/outlet are in the same spot

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Well I have bought almost all the parts i need apart from Head Gaskets and a VZ LS1 manual radiator a few Aeroflow fitting for the Transmission cooler, which i’ll probably get in the next few weeks.

the only other thing im trying to sort out is the exhaust. some of you’s that have been following this thread might remember i purchased some second hand Pacemaker PH 5367 Tri Y’ extractors about a year ago

i’ve been looking at some sort of 2.5″Mild steel X force System as it fits my price range. I’m leaning towards the system with hotdog rear mufflers and not the oval rear muffler because the donor VX SS the ls1 actually came out of had the same 2.5″ System with the oval rear muffler and i though it was a bit too quite

I just want know some thoughts. I dont want the car too loud as its used day to day.

also gonna be needing a pair of cat convertors? do i need anything in particular?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Exhausts are a really such a personal preference.  Might be worth trying to find a mates or whatever you like the sound of and go that way?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey CP brains trust, so came across these.  Supposedly  worthwhile replacement for the regular plastic oil way barbell.  Peoples thoughts, worth it or a bit of wank??  I literally just fitted a new OE one, but its one the engine stand so no probs to swap over now, but peoples thoughts?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Ill be honest, dont even know where that goes? First ive seen and or heard of that.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

There is the main oilway front to back along the block.  The front is blocked off with a 16mm (5/8″) welsh plug, the rear has this “barbell” that presses in, and the forward facing knob sits between the two vertical drilling into the oil filter passages (red arrow in pic).  You remove it to clean the oil-way, apparently (and in my case) the O ring can be damaged so its good to replace it.  I actually took the time to take the sharp edge off with a small chamfer in the block to make sure the O ring didn’t ever get damaged again.  Supposedly a billet one like this is “”better” but I just wanted to know if its worth changing or a waste of time.

btw you are in for a world of pain if you forget to fit it….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Exhausts are a really such a personal preference. Might be worth trying to find a mates or whatever you like the sound of and go that way?

a mate of mine has taken me for a spin is 2 of his cars, both are 6lt VZ’s, first one is a Manual Cammed VZ SS, other is a stock auto VZ Senator, the SS has a full 2.5″ Pacemaker system on it, and Senator has a 3″ X force system but stock headers by memory.

the only thing is senator’s 3″ xforce system clearance is very tight in some section underneath, particular the diff area, which is why i think i’ll go for a 2.5 inch system

whats more likely to give it a drone, the oval type muffler or the hotdog mufflers? have been watching alot of youtube clips but most dont say which muffler they have fitted

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I had a $300 twin 2.5 redback system. Sounded good, still layer down 280rwkw and had plenty of clearance.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If you use a good exhaust guy, honestly the difference in clearance of 3″ vs 2.5″ around the diff shouldn’t be an issue,  I personally wouldn’t use that as a reason to decide if you know what I mean.  I got twin 3″ around a big ass harrop 12 bolt on mine.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So according to Adam “the LS guru” Wickson at Precision, no advantage in going to the expense of the billet oil barbell.  Stock works fine.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I had a $300 twin 2.5 redback system. Sounded good, still layer down 280rwkw and had plenty of clearance.

which rear muffler would you suggest cava?

If you use a good exhaust guy, honestly the difference in clearance of 3″ vs 2.5″ around the diff shouldn’t be an issue, I personally wouldn’t use that as a reason to decide if you know what I mean. I got twin 3″ around a big ass harrop 12 bolt on mine.

yeah i know, its only one of a few reasons, im trying to do as much of the LS1 build/swap myself, including engine assembly this time, i didnt build the VS’s 355 myself i dropped it off at the engine builder. I only built the car itself.

Also trying to keep this build to a reasonable budget. the VS exhaust was a custom 2.5inch system and that cost $1500 with the cats fitted, if i go this xforce 2.5 system id be able it keep it somewhere around the $900 with cats (fit most of it myself) and then allow a little for an exhaust shop to finish it if need be

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just food for thought, I bought (maybe you could borrow?) a tig welder, all the bits and did it myslef.  It wasn’t hard as such, was time consuming but really satisfying.  And you won’t get cheaper, its only the bits and pieces that you pay for.  Just an idea.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I think i’ll speak to the guys who done VS Exhaust tomorrow

pretty sure i’d go something like the 2.5″ system, still not sure whether to go there oval rear muffler or the hotdog rear mufflers

pacemaker also do cats that are direct bolt on to the pacemaker extractors that i bought, so worst comes to worst i could always buy them and a few bends to match them up to the exhaust myself, dont think i would have the patients to do a whole exhaust

where the best place to buy the bends?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I buy all my bends and parts direct from Difilippo.

It’s actually one of the more enjoyable fabrication jobs you can do on a car.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It’s actually one of the more enjoyable fabrication jobs you can do on a car.

Agree, that’s what I found.  I bought my bends and mufflers originally from di Phillipo, tbh I wasn’t exactly blown away by their customer service, so when I needed some more I bought it from AAA exhausts here in Adelaide who were great to deal with by comparison.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.