This topic contains 41 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Good stuff.A Holden vs  v8 drift ute,how aussie is that.Looks like a lot of fun.

Have a ute same as yours,never axle tramped,and i have changed just about everything at some time or another.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

It never axle tramped until I put the Lokka in it and it only tramps in a straight line, never sideways.  But it doesn’t always axle tramp in a straight line, I think it’s dependent on wheel speed or how aggressive the initiation is.  And I’m not to sure but I don’t think I remember it tramping from a standstill, only when rolling first.

Profile photo of moodybluebob
    moodybluebob
    Participant

Didnt even realise but i had a race against you yesterday at torque time, now i know why you beat me haha. how do you rate the auto lokka now after having it for a while? is the backlash noticable at all? still tossing up whether to put one in my VN or not.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

I was meaning to update this just before and now since Matsuri finished but ive been lazy.

Finished off my Prep for Matsuri on the afternoon of Sign-in.

Picked up my tyre supply

Stripped down the front suspension

The old LCAs, knuckles and hubs

K-frame out for some modding and a clean

New modified VZ knuckles

Sump off, ASR baffle in and a new gasket

Changed the rocker cover gaskets and found this on the drivers side rocker cover.

I couldnt find the piece anywhere.  Hopefully it went straight to the sump without damaging anything!!

My huge castor with the VZ  suspension setup with shortened solid radius rods.

I only gained a tiny amount of lock with the modified knuckles because the VS steering rack doesnt give enough lock to lock to maximise the modified knuckles.  Playing round with the idea of trying to fit a later model rack to my ute to get that extra lock.

All in all i had an absolute blast the whole weekend!  The ute performed flawlessly even with the hot conditions on both days although my 3rd gear synchro is starting to grind at top RPM and my diff gears whine a little louder now.  Learnt quite a bit over the weekend and even had a few of the spectators cheering for the commie by the end of sunday arvo!

Im quite happy with the way the ute handles now.  In my honest opinion when you get rid of most of the body roll and stiffen the suspension up without dropping then too low and stuffing the roll centre and axis they handle quite well for what they are!

Somehow i managed to miss every single one of my perfect runs but here is one of the best i captured.

Time to start getting everything together to drop this 6L in soon!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of LF24 LF24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

How u find the ASR baffle. I was looking at them but decided on the Improved racing in the end. I did however buy the ASR windage tray.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Didnt even realise but i had a race against you yesterday at torque time, now i know why you beat me haha. how do you rate the auto lokka now after having it for a while? is the backlash noticable at all? still tossing up whether to put one in my VN or not.

Yeah we had a couple of good races.  The VN sounds so tough!!  :good:  I still rate the lokka, does the job i need it to do perfectly.  Backlash can be noticable at times but only in tight carparks.  Im the sort of person that will deal with most things if it meets a purpose, but if you’re keen you can take her for a test drive to test the lokka out.

How u find the ASR baffle. I was looking at them but decided on the Improved racing in the end. I did however buy the ASR windage tray.

ASR Baffle works a treat and looked like quality workmanship.  Only reason I went with the ASR baffle is because improved hadnt released their new baffle for VT/VX yet.  I also got one of ASR’s windage trays but i’ll throw that in the ls2 with an improved baffle.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

How long ago did you build this? Mate of mine has had the improved racing in his vy 4-5 years

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

How long ago did you build this? Mate of mine has had the improved racing in his vy 4-5 years

She went back on the road January 2015.  There is a slight difference between the VT/VX and VY/VZ sump.  Improved have had a baffle for the VY/VZ sump for a while but it wouldnt fit a VT/VX sump, it was only recently that they released a baffle for the VT/VX sump.

Profile photo of moodybluebob
    moodybluebob
    Participant

Yeah we had a couple of good races. The VN sounds so tough!! I still rate the lokka, does the job i need it to do perfectly. Backlash can be noticable at times but only in tight carparks. Im the sort of person that will deal with most things if it meets a purpose, but if you’re keen you can take her for a test drive to test the lokka out.<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>

</span>

Haha thanks man. Sounds the part just need some more grunt haha. Yeha just still not sure what to run. Was even considering a minispool but still thinking about the locker too. thanks man, wouldnt mind just coming for a passenger ride and seeing how it is in car.

Car looked the goods in that matsuri video too, bummed i couldnt go.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That video is awesome mate. Looks like so much fun.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

She went back on the road January 2015. There is a slight difference between the VT/VX and VY/VZ sump. Improved have had a baffle for the VY/VZ sump for a while but it wouldnt fit a VT/VX sump, it was only recently that they released a baffle for the VT/VX sump.

ahh never new that. Wonder what the difference was

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

What confuses the issue even more is the new sump was bought in half way into VY….

HSV used it in the VX CS’s as well…

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

So I had my z-grip clutch let go the other day after only 18 months of duty.  It seems the rivets holding the sprung centre to the clutch plate have let go.  The flywheel, pressure plate and clutch pads are all in perfect condition.  It was working absolutely perfectly without any dramas at all and showing no signs of giving up the ghost and then just let go. I’ve emailed Textralia asking what they think and what options we can go down the fix this.

Would you call this a manufacturing defect/fault??

I know Textralia can rebuild the clutch plate, but I’d love to know what garuntee they can give me that this won’t happen again and especially in another 18 months.  Otherwise I think I’ll be going with another clutch company.  I’ve heard really good things about both clutch industries and mcleods twin plate systems.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of LF24 LF24.
    Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

For a clutch to fail like that is more than likely a manufacturing fault, as you say the clutch plates and flywheel look perfect so it doesn’t look like an overheating issue.

The problem is that if they find out it was used for drifting they probably won’t care, they’ll probably say they won’t warranty it because of improper/competition use or something like that. Let us know what happens, i’m interested to know how they respond??

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Don’t mention it’s use.  No physical signs to make them think it’s been given a hard time.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think you are past not mentioning use given its posted on the forum :(  What does the warranty say?  My daughter Georgie (who runs the forum btw) is into her last year of law.  She isn’t an actual qualified lawyer so she can’t give actual “advice” but she might me able to let us know what the general gist is.  I will see if i can get her to post something just out of interest?

Profile photo of Georgie
    Georgie
    Participant

Hey! As mentioned I am not a lawyer so absolutely can’t give legal advice, and plus I know very little when it comes to engineering/manufacturing so I can only give you some very broad information. Under consumer law, every product that is sold in Australia comes with a number of guarantees that a retailer/manufacturer cannot exclude by contract etc. One of those is that goods sold must be “fit for purpose” – of course the question is then whether competitive use is beyond the ‘purpose’ and that probably depends on a lot of factors including how the product was advertised, etc – so it could really go either way. There are other sections of the law that might help you, too, like unfair contract terms. If you are covered, you may be entitled not only to the cost of repairs to the product, but also if it damaged anything else when it broke.

I would recommend trying to get some free legal advice about it as they will be much more helpful! If you were in SA I would recommend the University of South Australia’s Legal Advice Clinic (overseen by a qualified lawyer), followed by the Legal Services Commission Legal Helpline, or a Community Legal Centre. If you’re in another state, there’s probably equivalents, but I don’t know them, sorry :) There may even be a dedicated consumer law centre, there are in a few places I think!

Sorry for the slippery lawyer answer, haha, I just really don’t want to give you bad information!

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks for the helpful information.  I’m about to give them a ring now.  I’ll keep you all up to date with what’s going on.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks would be good to post up how you go, might help others later :)

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

So I spoke to Peter the owner of Textralia today.  Nice bloke, very easy to work with and very understandable.  Explained what was going on and he is more than happy for me to send the disk back with all the parts that failed and he’s going to send me out a brand new unsprung clutch disk to replace my broken one.

before I purchased the clutch originally I did my usual research on it and came back with great reviews until the last few years where the reviews went downhill.  This had me questioning whether to run the z-grip or not.  I went with it anyway as it was supposed to be a surperb track clutch.  Performance wise I couldn’t be happier (no slip just direct engagement and loves being abused) with my choice and now after this I definitely think I made the right choice to go with Textralia!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.