HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineLS1 cam injector and converter advice

This topic contains 28 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I guess too in a circuit car you are on and off the throttle a lot more, and theres more left right g’s and vibration so its more important?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I guess too in a circuit car you are on and off the throttle a lot more, and theres more left right g’s and vibration so its more important?

Yeah lots of G’s in just about every axis during autocross, Main tank is full of foam as well.

Profile photo of HSVGTS
    HSVGTS
    Participant

the single pump I use will be over sized for what i need the whole fuel system will be in fact id prefer a engine shut down rather then a engine lean out with 2 pumps but in your setup LJ if the 1 pump can run it without lean out then thats a good thing mine will be a track car so it stopping on the track isnt the end of the world

Profile photo of

My whole point is if a single pump starts to lay down for whatever reason you lose an engine, having the 2 pumps means there’s far less chance of this happening ever, pumps and controllers are cheap compared to an engine… (and yes I’ve lost a couple in the past)

Profile photo of HSVGTS
    HSVGTS
    Participant

if you loose a single pump on a single pump from the surge setup the engine shuts off if you have 2 pumps that when one lays over the engine keeps going but is lean up top then you wont know till its to late.

Running 2 pumps that are big enough to run the engine on there own and a controller to control them would be nice but hell the pump supplying the surge tank could die as well and you would be in the same place. Im down for covering my ass and yes the fuel system isnt something im planing to cheap on but im not filling the boot with pumps just in case ill look at what pump ill be using and consider the twin setup but at this point its going to be a big single from the surge

Profile photo of

Don’t think I explained it properly, if you have a single pressure pump that is just enough for the engine power and it lays down i.e. blocked inlet, worn brushes whatever you lose the engine, if it fails the engine stops and this is a good thing, the lift pump has a very easy life by comparison as it doesn’t see pressure but still needs to flow enough to keep up, the biggest downside to lots of pump is heat soak , this is where the pwm controllers come in, roughly 50% flow on one pump at low load then ramps up bringing the second pump in on a ramp prevents spikes and makes tuning easier… Lots of ways to do the job but this is what works for me.

Profile photo of HSVGTS
    HSVGTS
    Participant

yeah ill be looking to pump at least 1.5 times the fuel i need in its final stage so in early stages will probably be more like double what i need

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You will find u will have a pump “lay” more often then a complete failure.

As as lj said. The lift pump sees no pressure. It’s a low pressure line.

How does your foam handle the fuel lj? Is yours e85  I know a lot of people using e85 and e85 approved foam and it still deteriates blocking the fuel filters.

Profile photo of

The Yellow Foam is 85 rated, I used to use Black foam and ran a tank or 2 of Caltex 95 through it not realising it had Alcohol in it…DOH broke the foam down and blocked the filter screens solid, caught it before there was any engine damage..

Be interesting to see how HSV goes with his setup!

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.