HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralInterior & TrimIdeas for Mounting a Fire Extinguisher

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I am interested in mounting a fire extinguisher in my VR. I have seen them mounted to the seat mounts, but also to the front of the seat itself so it moves back and forward with the seat. Anybody got any examples & pics of how they did theirs?

Profile photo of Ranga
    Ranga
    Participant

This is what we do for VT-VF’s, have a bracket that comes down from the centre console frame behind the trim panels and mount the Extinguisher on the tunnel, keeps it up off the floor area, away from the moving seat and is in easy reach from the drivers seat.

Would have to check to make sure there is somewhere to mount off on your car though.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant
    Supporter

This the one Matt @ MRC Performance did for me a little while back…

Mounts to the seat adjuster bracket, looks factory & allows full movement.

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Just a thing to consider, with an engine bay that you actually give a shit about I wouldn’t be spraying ABC in there unless it was the last thing laying around. Its highly corrosive as it chemically reacts with fire forming phosphoric acid and it ruins electronics and why you will never see one in any aircraft.

Would be nice if you could still use Halon (BCF) extinguishers which kill anything and leave zero residue but greenys had to spoil the fun. Next best clean agent is vaporizing liquid/halotron extinguishers, much more expensive but what I would prefer with a larger one mounted in the boot.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very neat Richard, thanks for the advice Marzella, I guess its one of those things none of us want to really ever have to use, but I guess using one is a better alternative to watching my pride and joy burn to the ground :)

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Iv used one on my car about 8 years ago when I had the big stereo and put a new exhaust on and well well it was very close to where it come in through the floor and it took about 5km till I had mad flames along the cable from battery to where the cable was melted from exhaust

I had fire extinguisher mounted in boot and it took about 2 seconds for me to get that and be back up front while my had his shirt of poping the bonnet with it and my spraying to subdue the flames and I riped my shit of and wrapped it around cable and yanked it off

So I think the best place for the fire extinguisher to be mounted now is in the passengers hands ready to go

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

In fact that’s not the only fire iv had to contend with fire

My first car a 83 pimped out Camry also cought fire when a doped out mate was doin up the possitive battery terminal and connected it to the steel bar holding battery in

I didn’t know why it was on fire at this stage

There was a pond right beside me so I throw a bucket of water on it and that worked for about 1.6 seconds then it come back twice as big and did that 3 times with flames coming back bigger and bigger each time

So by now iv got flames well above the bonnet that’s poped up and I tryed to see why it was burning and seen the spanner glowing red hot so I grab a piece of wood that was near by and knocked it off

Then I also had a 83 land cruiser and I had work trailer and one day I backed into it slightly when hitching trailer and crunched the plug and did not see that I did any damage

So when I was on the phone and pulled over with foot on the brake I got a small camp fire under my dash on the brake wires, my mate freaked out yelling and pointing and I just casually hoped out telling old mate on the blower my car was on fire and continued talking about the job and let the flames die down before continuing on my way

After 2 other fires I was quite calm with that one, didn’t even asses the damage, just drove off and hoped for the best

My Magna hasn’t cought fire yet

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Oo so the manta I got a earth wire and battery of a mates clubsport and was goin with in a hour

The camry was goin the next day and the cruiser just got turned off for a about a minute while i finished conversation

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

I had mine mounted on the passenger side of the trans tunnel in my old VK. Very easy to access. Thankfully I never needed to.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I am really leaning toward the idea of the front of the drivers seat, seems like a neat idea. If I end up getting a plate profile cut I will chuck up the CAD file for anyone else who wants one.

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Thinking of mounting on the small parcel shelf in my ute, what is best fire extinguisher to get?

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of sv89#170
    sv89#170
    Participant

Vs hsvs had them factory surprised my new clubby still has it although it’s probably way out of date

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ yea mine currently is in the boot, sits neatly between the battery box and side of the car, I just like the idea of having it close at hand when you are driving.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

I had mine mounted on the passenger side of the trans tunnel in my old VK. Very easy to access. Thankfully I never needed to.

this is what I have on my vc.. Never needed to use it and hope to never use it! But its easy to reach.

Profile photo of SSN8TD
    SSN8TD
    Participant

this is what I have on my vc.. Never needed to use it and hope to never use it! But its easy to reach.

Likewise on my VY, its not in the way and easy to get to, i quite like it there

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i have mine in the boot, right in the center just below where to boot catch is, i’d prefer to mount it inside where its easier to get to, my main concern is if it was to go off accidentally inside the car

does anyone know if there are guidelines or laws regarding this?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My dads got an old merc that has the extinguisher there from factory, so my thinking would be that its OK, unless anyone knows otherwise?

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

My only concern with a boot mounted extinguisher is being rear ended and not being able to open the boot to access the extinguisher.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree, I reckon inside the cab close at hand if the way to go.

Profile photo of Wombles
    Wombles
    Participant
    • 1995 VS Acclaim v6. Soon to be supercharged 1995 VS Executive 5L. 1973 Holden Torana Deluxe

• View build HERE

I’d be interested to see spots as well. Wouldn’t like it in the open. Somewhere out of the way but easily accessed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.