HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralSuspensionHow to choose the right spring/shock combination

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thought I’d start a thread on how to choose the right springs and shocks when upgrading your suspension. For a little background, I’m building a VK sedan which I bought as a roller about 4 years ago. I’ve just bought a set of 20 inch Star wheels with 235/30/20 tyres, and will be swapping the diff out for a BW in a couple of weeks. I’ve put the wheels on and they fit great with no rubbing and a fair bit of clearance. I want to get a new set of springs/shocks cause the ones in it are probably stuffed, but I also want to lower it.

So far, I’ve come up with two different ways of finding out which springs I need:

1 – See what type I have at the moment (SL, SSL etc.) and go one or two sizes from there

2 – Measure from the centre of the hub to the bottom edge of the guard, and use those measurements to determine what springs give the ride height I’m after

Have you guys (no doubt you have) gone through the same process, and what did you do to help decide what setup to go with? Did you have any problems along the way? Have I left out an option? I know I could take it to a shop and tell them how low I want it and they’ll take care of the rest, but I want to tackle it myself to build up my skills and save some cash.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

more expensive but xyz coil overs

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I’ve found a set of King springs and Monroe GT shocks on eBay for $650, any height I want. I think some coil overs need some mods to fit, or you can buy ones ready to bolt straight in, but they’re well over a grand.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

I’ve found a set of King springs and Monroe GT shocks on eBay for $650, any height I want. I think some coil overs need some mods to fit, or you can buy ones ready to bolt straight in, but they’re well over a grand.

yip I paid 1500 for mine I sent my struts to them and it all came back welded and together with crack tested and welding  cert . the rear is just bolt in let me know and I can post pictures up

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

yip I paid 1500 for mine I sent my struts to them and it all came back welded and together with crack tested and welding cert . the rear is just bolt in let me know and I can post pictures up

A true coil over for the rear of a Commodore that’s bolt in?  Tell me more

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

yip I paid 1500 for mine I sent my struts to them and it all came back welded and together with crack tested and welding cert . the rear is just bolt in let me know and I can post pictures up

A true coil over for the rear of a Commodore that’s bolt in? Tell me more

Me to, i dont think there is a TRUE coil over for the rear of a commodore on the market. Especially a “bolt in” item.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I had ssl for ten years but removed them and went SL. Because  it wasn’t roadworthy, it rode like crap/crashed thumped, it had no suspension travel even with short bore shocks, it just pounded the strut top bearings due lack of travel and it cracked my strut top metal in the end. i lost count of how many times I did strut top bearings in the end. And after getting a defect warning I swapped over.  After I went to SL it rode better, handled better and didn’t bump steer also the suspension geometry was correct again. Hope this helps

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of Sandman
    Sandman
    Participant

I’ve got Koni Yellows (adjustable in mine) with SL lovels in the front and SSL Kings in the reach which with the tall rear tyre sits the car level. Previously with standard height rear tyres I was running SL all round which was fine too. Rule of thumb it find out what you have in your car to start with and start measuring from there.  SL is generally a 50mm drop over stock with ultra low (SSL) another 25 further. If you’re running a fairly normal sized wheel/tyre combo and not wanting to tuck tyre SL all round should do you fine. But do some measuring and know what wheels and height you are aiming for and go from there.

willtheyfit.com is also really handy, you can see what OD you will get from whatever you’re looking to put on there and can compare it to what you have on your car currently.

Finally for reference my VC 205/65/15 on the front 245/60/15 on the rear.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

A true coil over for the rear of a Commodore that’s bolt in? Tell me more

well not so much as a coil over but has height adjustability xyz do them Gary has the ones for the vr

30 way damper on shocks and the coil support bolts to bottom arm where original spring sits

2017-10-11 19.22.26 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

2017-10-11 19.21.59 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

2017-10-11 19.21.41 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

Fronts

2016-09-25 16.59.35 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

2016-09-25 16.59.09 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.