HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Finished the brake lines on the weekend. Put the discs and calipers on the rear and was doing the fronts but it looks like one of the pistons is seized, doesn’t budge at all. Can get rebuilt ones off eBay for 215 bucks, but thinking of going up the wreckers on sat and see what I can get.

Also thinking of putting off the Group A look for now and stick with the stock SL look, just need the door moulds and it’ll be sweet as. The kit will add at least another grand by the time it’s painted and fitted and get the sticker kit, and I need to get it on the road by the start of December

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

100% agree with doing what’s needed to get it running and on the road then after as money and time permits do the rest.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Plain Jane for the win 🤙

Heron SSV
    Participant

Bought a pair of rebuilt front calipers from a local brake shop for $290. Was going to get a set off ebay for $230, but the seller/shop doesn’t have a contact number listed on their website which puts me off a little, plus the local shop is handy for any future issues, plus I’ll get my rear calipers rebuilt in the next 6 months or so.

Also found a set of SL door moulds not too far from me and still in half decent condition. The more I think about it, the more I’m liking the stock/sleeper look. Even considering a set of stock wheels and some hubcaps for some stealthy cruising.

Cleaned up on Fathers Day as well, scored a cordless Ryobi ratchet and grinder to add to the collection, plus some spanner holders to tidy up my spanner drawer.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Booked in for next Sat the 14th to get the exhaust done. Going with twin 2.5 into single 3 inch over the diff. The shop is also making up a straight through rear pipe that will bolt on behind the diff so I can swap out the rear muffler, that was their idea and it’s not costing anything so I’ll give it a crack.

Wanted to go for a larger 3.5 rear half but the shop said it’ll be pretty tight, I know the larger one can fit but I’ll go with their suggestion and see how it goes. My tuner said it should flow fine, it’s more the headers and cats that can cause the most restriction (unless the rear half is stupid small).

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And it gets it closer to on the road…

Heron SSV
    Participant

And it gets it closer to on the road…

yep. Fuck it’s a good feeling

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate, I seriously wound the windows up on the car and was screaming fuck yea at the top of my lungs when I got mine through and registered. Fingers crossed for you buddy when the time comes.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Mate, I seriously wound the windows up on the car and was screaming fuck yea at the top of my lungs when I got mine through and registered. Fingers crossed for you buddy when the time comes.

Hahahaha thats gold, I reckon I’ll do the same

Heron SSV
    Participant

Picked up the calipers last night, all set to get it happening this weekend. Also booked it in to get tuned, dropping it off on the 21st.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Successful weekend. Put the new front brakes on, bled everything and the only leak was the join under the car. Took the join apart and one side wasn’t totally flat. Filed it back a little and it was fine. Good pedal feel.

started it up and ran it through the gears and topped up the fluid after going through the gears a few times. Wheels back on, moved it forwards and backwards a few times to make sure the brakes were good, then backed it down the driveway, out into the street and down the road. Happy days.

it got hot, I don’t think the thermo turned on, does the ECU control that?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Good news. The thermo fan should be all controlled via the ECU.

Does the car have a tune in it?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Just a base tune so it starts and idles. Just cruised it down the street in first. Ran it through all gears up on stands

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Where’s the vid? :yes:

Well done!

Heron SSV
    Participant

Haha I’ll throw one up tomorrow

today I pulled the group 3 front bar extension off my front bumper. The bumper is still in good condition, any ideas on how to remove the sikaflex that’s still stuck?

Bought a set of SL door moulds so I’ll paint the front and rear bars to match.

also have to adjust the pan hard bar cause the diff is about 10 or 15 mil too far towards the drivers side and the Tyre is pretty close to the guard. Didn’t scrub yesterday when I was going over the driveway though

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Don’t know how well it works but they do a product, Sika remover 208.

Heron SSV
    Participant

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea baby, congrats!!

Heron SSV
    Participant

Been thinking about how to paint the bars. Any reason why I shouldn’t get some spraypaint made up to suit the colour I want? Been watching a few youtube vids (as you do, that’s how I’ve learnt many things haha), my bars are already painted and wont need a heap of filler, can I give it a good clean, scuff it up a little with some scotch brite, give it a few coats of primer, then a few coats of colour, then a few coats of clear? Will do both bumpers and the side moulds so they match. Got my eye on the darker grey, I think it’s called MX Grey.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Is it stock cam?

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.