HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I could get something second hand but I have no idea what to look for and I’d rather spend a little more and get a new one.

That the way I think too, do it once, do it right, set and forget :)

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Spent the day calling a heap of shops. A few were either busy or havent called back yet. Best price so far was $2800 for a BW, 31 spline, true track, that was from Diff King but the dude was asian and i could hardly understand him. ]e.

He is indian he did my diff but yeah hard to understand.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I could get something second hand but I have no idea what to look for and I’d rather spend a little more and get a new one.

That the way I think too, do it once, do it right, set and forget

Exactly. I’ve spent a bomb on the motor and trans so I’d be silly to skimp on the diff. At least I’ll know the entire drive line is quality gear and built properly.

Also starting to look at some wheel options. I’m keen on going for a pro-street look, but I do like the 20 inch Momo Stars as well

Heron SSV
    Participant

Ordered a shifter drop box today. Anyone have tips on mounting the shifter and best way to line it up so it sticks out of the factory shifter position? Do I just sit the console in place, get the shifter in the right spot, mark and drill holes and use some nutserts so it’s easy to bolt down? Pop rivets for the drop box to trans tunnel?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Ordered a shifter drop box today. Anyone have tips on mounting the shifter and best way to line it up so it sticks out of the factory shifter position? Do I just sit the console in place, get the shifter in the right spot, mark and drill holes and use some nutserts so it’s easy to bolt down? Pop rivets for the drop box to trans tunnel?

Yea pretty much, what shifter are you using?

Heron SSV
    Participant

B&M Stealth ratchet. Should i use a couple of tek screws first to hold the box in place before i pop rivet it in case i need to take it out again during the installation?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just take plenty of measurements and make reference points on where the current shifter sits prior to taking it all apart. That’s the best way.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers Cava. On a side note, what type of intake are you going to use? I need an enclosed one for engineering and was looking at the Mace LS conversion airboxes, they look alright:

https://www.maceengineering.com.au/MACE-LS-CONVERSION-AIR-INTAKE-KIT-TO-SUIT-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-VB-VC-VH-VK-VL-SEDAN-WAGON

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

B&M Stealth ratchet. 

Does that have the reverse lockout lever offset to the main shaft like a pro ratchet?  If it does, def consider moving it across like I did so they are inline then you don’t need to cut a second slot in the console.  Much neater.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yeah it does. Did you do a write up of what you did?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Cheers Cava. On a side note, what type of intake are you going to use? I need an enclosed one for engineering and was looking at the Mace LS conversion airboxes, they look alright: https://www.maceengineering.com.au/MACE-LS-CONVERSION-AIR-INTAKE-KIT-TO-SUIT-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-VB-VC-VH-VK-VL-SEDAN-WAGON

Ill have to tackle that when I get to it. I’ll make some bodgy/cheap ass enclosure if I have to.

But aside from that, I’ll be running a 5 inch intake with a pod.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Did a little work on it today. The sparky wants some bits and pieces put back on so he can run wiring and check what space he has to work with. Also went and had a look at some wheels. At the moment I like the Pro Drag rims, 17×6.5 front and 16×9 rears. Can get a set with Mickey Thompson tyres for 2800. Can get them with cheaper tyres but I won’t be able to get a fat chunky rear to get the pro street style. Still like the Momo Star 20s though. I don’t think my budget will stretch to new wheels at the moment. Got around 10k to play with, so far it’ll be about 8k for the wiring and a diff, but there’s a heap of small fiddly bits to do, and I want to be able to at least start it and have it move under its own power with this round of work.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Modified the factory fuel pump holder and mounted the Walbro 460. Also started putting the dash back in, got the heater and air con boxes back in, hopefully get the rest of the dash back in and the fuel tank mounted next weekend. Then it’s just installing the shifter and the headlights and it’s off to the sparky.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yeah it does. Did you do a write up of what you did?

Just did it for you, takes too long searching back through my thread.

Pro Ratchet Install with Drop Box and Reverse Lever Chg

Heron SSV
    Participant

Champion, thanks Gary  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Easy as, that’s where forums beat FB, good way to store info.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Btw, I did mine in the car, as I couldn’t be bothered taking it all out, would be way easier to do when it’s on the bench!!

Heron SSV
    Participant

Progress on the weekend. Got the dash in, console in, drop box and mounted the shifter. Was fiddly but got there in the end. Had to grind down the side of the shifter cable bracket that bolts to the gearbox pan for the holes to line up. Will put some pics up soon

Heron SSV
    Participant

Pics from recent work:

And yes I sat on the milk crate making broom broom noises whilst trying out the shifter haha.

Going to get a can of cerulean paint and redo all the dash/console plastics before it gets installed for the final time.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

We have all been guilty of that and not as kids either ,Broom ,broommmmmm

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer. Reason: spelling
Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.