HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Motor is sorted… Just bought an LS3, comes with engine harness, a/c, p/s, alt, belts, computer. The computer comes with a Walkinshaw W375 tune, not sure if that’ll be good or bad when it comes time to start it. Also bought a set of VE Brembos for 800, comes with 4 pot fronts and standard rears, discs, pads, lines. Same set up as a GXP so hopefully that’ll help with engineering.

Next up will be the box, 1000hp rated TH400 from Paul Rogers with lots of fancy things inside it haha. Didn’t end up going with the trans brake as it added 1k to the price.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea baby, cool as, pics when you get it (and congrats!!!)

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers Gary. I could of waited a bit and searched more, but I thought fk it just get it and stop thinking about it hahaha

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

That’s not bad at all mate and at least that way engine wise you have pretty much everything you need, awesome price for the brakes too, just a bit of food for thought on your box though have you thought about a 4l80e it’s basically a t400 with overdrive, factory they’re electronic but they can be converted to full manualized and they can handle big power as well.

Heron SSV
    Participant

That’s not bad at all mate and at least that way engine wise you have pretty much everything you need, awesome price for the brakes too, just a bit of food for thought on your box though have you thought about a 4l80e it’s basically a t400 with overdrive, factory they’re electronic but they can be converted to full manualized and they can handle big power as well.

Thanks mate. I did think about the 4 speed but I want a totally bulletproof box that’ll handle some punishment and still be fine when I add a blower or turbo down the track without any changes to the box. It’ll be a weekend toy so I’m not overly concerned about an OD for highway duties.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

T400 ftw. That’s what I’ll be running.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Next weakest link will be the tail shaft and/or diff. Hopefully that’s not too pricey.

Still undecided on what to use for the conversion. CRS full kit, just their LHS starter swap and get Tuff Mounts, Pacemaker, Castle Headers…. the list goes on.

Got a mate hunting for a VR-VS V8 K frame and VL manual rack.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Imo, go Tuff Mounts as there is sfa clearance around the steering, any engine rock will kill you.  Go original rubber trans mount as a soft compromise, then just the CRS swap kit, and the Paccies.

ps #ilovemybulletproofglidehaha

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If I wasn’t trying to make 800+ Hp I’d just be running Tri Y pacemakers. They are soo much easier to fit.

The new CRS mounts are like tuffmounts.

Heron SSV
    Participant

I spoke to a workshop on the coast today who are putting an LS3 into a VK at the moment. They used a lot of stuff from CAE, said it fits great and is much cheaper than CRS. They also said CAE do standalone plug and play engine harnesses for about 700 bucks outright that are made to fit into your cars existing wiring. Not sure if i’ll need that as my motor comes with the engine harness so I thing i just need to get mine modified.

How would the tri-ys go with a decent sized cam? Or does it mainly depend on the size of the primaries and secondaries?

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Can’t argue about the strength of the T400, especially if it’s a weekender and you’re going to boost it later on, that’s why I went that way for my toy, but for my ss I’m thinking of going the 4l80 coz I won’t be going to crazy with it and I like driving the old girl as much as I can so overdrive would be handy.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Tri-ys should be fine with a decent cam just get the bigger set, however if you’re thinking about a blower later on you might want to just go 4 into 1s

Heron SSV
    Participant

Just looking at some conversion kits and have found the following:

• CRS starter relocation kit to suit a TH box – $1000
    • Tuff Mounts for motor – $275
    • Gearbox x-member with mount – around $350, give or take (can i use a standard one? There’s no difference whetherI’m using an LS or Holden motor is there?)
    • Extractors – $850 and up

Total for the above is $2475. Full kit from CRS which includes starter relocation, engine mounts, gearbox -member and mount, and Pacemaker extractors is $2465. I’ll call CAE tomorrow and see what they’ve got to say.

Heron SSV
    Participant

CAE also do a fuel system upgrade to suit LS swaps:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-EFI-FUEL-SYSTEM-KIT-SUIT-LS1-LS2-LS3-VB-VC-VH-VK-COMMODORE-CONVERSION-/302096570735?hash=item46565bd96f:g:dLoAAOSw8w1X9Dx0

I’ve got no idea when it comes to the fuel system I’ll need  :huh:

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I think they’re 1 3/4, then 2, then 2 1/2 outlet

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

They will be fine for your application.

That $700 loom won’t apply to you as you have FBW. Make sure the pedal comes with the engine and loom. You will need to get your loom modded.

For fuel. Use a drop in walbro 450 pump and then run one of these.

http://www.ictbillet.com/fuel-filter-swap-hose-kit-w-internal-regulator-ls-swap-ls1-ls2-ls3-conversion-adapter.html

you also need to change to a front hump sump mate I installed a few mods to my sump for piece of mind.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks again Cav. Regarding the fuel system, is that all I’ll need? The Walbro in tank pump running to the regulator? Does that mean I don’t run a return line from the motor, just the line that comes with the kit straight to the rails?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah ls is dead head setup with internal regulator. That’s all you will need I believe. Assuming the walbro fits a VK tank.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Sweet. My engineer also suggested swapping to a VR-VS tank, he said they bolt straight in and have a larger capacity.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Got the pedal assembly coming with the motor.

Spoke to Justin at Ultimate Conversions, he quoted $1300 to mod my harness so it’s ready to go, speed sensor is an extra $190. Also called CAE, they’re sending me a quote on everything I’ll need for the conversion (starter relocation, mounts, headers, wiring etc.), just waiting for it to come through

The old budget is starting to look shaky lol

On a side note, anyone know what else I’ll need to bolt the VE Brembo’s on? I need a new booster, can I use VT hubs?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.