This topic contains 143 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks very much all, fitted a relay today as described, problem solved!!  Actually its hard to tell from the pic but the original solenoid wire was pretty light gauge from new.  Prob OK when the car was brand new but 30 years on, with the heat etc, nope.  Went quite a bit heavier gauge, went for a long drive and its 35 degrees here.  Started again no probs.   Will try and post up a video later on at some stage.  Thanks again everyone.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not the greatest video ever…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Runs  very well and its a quiet engine.  Done well.

Still going to have a crack at the carb?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, actually, have already picked up a carby kit.  At some stage in between racing go-karts, rebuilding Senators, working on VL’s and getting rentals ready for new tenants I will have a go :wacko:

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Thanks very much all, fitted a relay today as described, problem solved!! Actually its hard to tell from the pic but the original solenoid wire was pretty light gauge from new. Prob OK when the car was brand new but 30 years on, with the heat etc, nope. Went quite a bit heavier gauge, went for a long drive and its 35 degrees here. Started again no probs. Will try and post up a video later on at some stage. Thanks again everyone.   

That wire has certainly seen better days…

Good to hear it’s sorted :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

For sure, and can vouch for the fact it gets very bloody hot down around the starter after a decent drive.

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Not the greatest video ever…

<iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/hIU61kpgf5s?feature=oembed” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Gotta love a 5 litre.

That motor sounds very good. How many kms on it ?

Immortality
    Participant

For sure, and can vouch for the fact it gets very bloody hot down around the starter after a decent drive.

A fibre glass sleeve works well to reduce heat.  I double insulated my starter motor cables on my last early girl Commodore.

sands vs
    Participant

Could also be running hotter if the mixtures and timing are off.   Not sure if you have looked into either.

With our vh v8 we ran a low temp thermostat as well.

But they do generate a fair bit of heat.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Its done 300,000 according to the speedo, and it looks pretty honest, so I am thinking that is most likely accurate.  At first, I thought shit that’s high, but then when you realize its over 30 years old, its only 10,000 a year.  And it just purrs, it’s certainly not the fastest car I have driven, but it’s very nice to drive.

But you can see why they went injected.  I think it is just choked down my emissions.

I didn’t think about a fiberglass sleeve, it’s inside the steel tube, but that probably would have been a good idea.  Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Maybe look at the LS1 Starter Shield, I have a spare here you can have, couldn’t fault the engine when I had it here it runs like a bought one!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Maybe look at the LS1 Starter Shield, I have a spare here you can have, couldn’t fault the engine when I had it here it runs like a bought one!

That’s very kind of you IJ, happy to pick up the cost of postage just let me know.

It runs even smoother now since I changed the plugs and leads.  Next is an oil/filter change.  I also bought a new timing light (ahh the memories) as I thought it would come in handy with the MG and Kombi.

I had a quick look, looks like it may be a little advanced, but I got caught years ago with a harmonic balancer that had rotated slightly and the tdc mark was off, so I thought I might check tdc first before I adjust it.  Not sure how easy/hard getting to the distributor bolt is on a 5L VL, time will tell I guess.

Immortality
    Participant

A little extra advance is good, just use decent fuel. Retarded timing is much worse.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

A little extra advance is good, just use decent fuel. Retarded timing is much worse.

Yep thought the same, it’s running so nicely I am reluctant to mess with it too much. I don’t want to kill it with kindness.

Profile photo of

Buy a distributor wrench, it makes life so much easier..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Given this is a tow car thread…

In the kart trailer, I have just set up a 15L air tank and plumbed an air regulator outlet with a moisture trap for tyre duties.  And I use a 12V compressor to keep it topped up, also am fitting a small 12 V panel with USB port, cigarette lighter port, and a voltage read out, to keep phones, etc charged.

I fitted a battery box and 12V car battery.  Given the trailer sits in the open and is only used every week or two I had in mind mounting a solar panel trickle charger to the roof, that way the battery should always be nicely charged.  I was thinking of a system like this, any thoughts?

sands vs
    Participant

seems to be the go

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toledo-toledo-offset-distributor-clamp-wrench/SPO81666.html

“5 out of 5 stars.”>★★★★★

I have battled for years without this tool, works perfectly on Holden 253/308 distributor hold down bolt

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of

I’ve found mine is useful on other things as well  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for the tip, when I did the distributor cap it’s certainly a large diameter, I imagine getting to the bolt would be difficult at best. Will get one, cheers.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice to be using the old girl for what I got it for.  My in-laws have sold their farm so I needed to bring the Nash home.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.