This topic contains 143 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I’m really not a fan of the VL’s but good luck with the build.  Did you manage to get the rear tailgate lock mechanism out?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Managed to get the lock working, I think the VL was the best of the first gens, I love the interiors.  Each to their own :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Scored this for $100 about 10 minutes from me :good:    Most of it is mint but has rust in one spot but mine is mint there so should be able to make a really nice repair on it. Cowl repair coming along too, although bit hard to get a decent run at it as lots of socializing being done this time of the year :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not sure this is the hottest thread on here, but at least its a single spot to store the progress info :)

Have had my young mate Joe from up the street giving me a hand the last couple of days.  Really happy with how its coming along.  I want to get the plenum done, then I can fit the new cowl panel etc.  Made up a bodgy spray booth :good: to at least try and minimize the dust.  We used etch primer from a rattle can and it worked perfectly, but we then do one light coat of colour and tbh its just shit.  So will head out and get small can of Alpine White mixed up, and Joe is going to bring his spray gun down and we will use that.  But its going to be 43 here tomorrow, so i think I will let the light coat bake a bit before hitting it with some fine wet and dry.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Backyard spray booths are the best ever hahaha. I wouldn’t be too fussed about the first coat looking crap, the first coat on my engine bay looked pretty average as well, but the next couple went on and it looked awesome once it started to cover the primer and the white really became brighter

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers for that its over 44 degrees here today, so the spraying is on hold.  Joe is coming over first thing tomorrow morning, and I picked up a half a liter of Alpine White.  Be good to finish the plenum, then I can get stuck into fitting the new Cowl etc, as we have a few cooler days coming up.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Best part is. Once your finished painting. You can tell the wife you brought her a beautiful gazebo as a suprise for the hard work she does around the house. 😂😂😂

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, I like your thinking Woodie :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Super happy with how the plenum turned out.  Also spent ages getting the gaps perfect on the cowl panel, its all welded in too and looking good.  Now just have to think about how I fix the corner rust spots, I don’t want it show quality,  just good enough to hold some filler, its under a plastic trim piece anyway.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice job Joe ,hey Gary if you have some dollies and hammers you could make the piece just roughly shape it over the existing little sand bags are good for round stuff too

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Had a play today between family party duties and made up a piece, actually really happy with I think how it will turn out.  Hopefully tomorrow post up some pics of how it looks fitted :good:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

As long as it’s near enough, fill it with weld quenching between passes then grind and sand to shape..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Had a go over the last couple of days, made up a neat little patch assy out of two parts, came up a treat.  Unfortunately didn’t take a pic before fitting it.  But all done now, repaired in steel, I dod hit it with the lightest skim coat of filler just to smooth it all out.  So have hit it all with etch primer, and a nice final sand tomorrow then ready for colour.

Profile photo of

Came up well, might be an idea to cut out a go/no go template from some heavy cardboard or aluminium sheet using the other side of the car, this could save any hassles when it comes time to put a screen in.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I didn’t have to touch the lip that the screen sits in all the way around so a bit lucky there.  I just rust converted it.  But also the good thing about the VL is there is a trim piece that covers it anyway.

Profile photo of

I meant for the radius piece you replaced, sometimes it’ll hold the rubber out enough that it’s a problem, just thought now is a good time to check so you’re 100% sure of no hassles down the track..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not a bad idea now that I understand you, will do, thanks.

Btw, does anyone know how I can test the instrument cluster, when I got it the fuel/temp/oil pressure gauges aren’t working, I just thought whilst I have it all apart I might as well test the instrument cluster on the bench, before going looking at senders etc.

Is it 12V to pin 3, earth pin 4, then ground say 12 if checking temp?  I wasn’t sure of pin 9?

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Glad this car ended up in your hands. The ‘tow hack’ is getting a nice life. Coming up nice. I sent you the trim for the drivers seat on facebook

Most people use the vt front screen seals on these as they look  neater and dont hold muck.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vt-commodore-windscreen-seal-on-vl.71762/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for that, I had read about that but sort of trying to keep as much as I can to the “keep it factory” theme.

I agree too, I was speaking to the previous owner on FB, and I said while its far from perfect its a survivor, and it is so honest it deserves a second chance.  If I can get it useful, reliable and a bit of fun I will be happy.

Good day today, nothing earth shattering, but just knocking off job after job. So a bit of fault finding, a new $11 temp sensor, a clean up and seal, and a working water temp gauge. That makes me much happier, at some stage if I get it up on the hoist will sort the fuel gauge, but that can wait. The speakers in the dash were toast so bought some replacements.

Got all the dash back in without breaking anything (yay). Then went through and have all lights, blinkers, parkers etc working. Also all the wiper modes now work, so int, two speed, and washers. Also gave it a little spruce up and fitted a new bonnet cable so I can open and close it and look at the stonking V8. Edging closer to Regency

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Got a good colour match as well came up neat. Glad you got the temp gauge working.

There is a common issue with the fuel gauge if its not the sensor on the tank itself

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=64534

Its missing the wiper motor cover and bonnet liner if it bothers you .

https://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/buy/holden-commodore-under-bonnet-insulator-vl-lining/H1294b

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/183438690404?chn=ps

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.