This topic contains 143 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Picked up a couple of goodies form rare Spares…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Well, it’s home!!! Kind thanks to IJ who brought it over, and I confirm he is a bloody nice bloke in person

I’d heard he’s a bit odd  ;-)

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks pretty honest. If you get really stuck and cant find a decent drivers seat you could use the foams and trim covers off a passenger seat. Also have you looked into if you can still get the trim? Maybe get foam repair and retrim.

As for the screen rust, is it a dash out job?  Thats all I could find “There are a few tricks to getting them right, like lining up the wiper pivot points, & the body lines.Also, make sure of painting the underside of the new panel before final fitting!” “The problem with welding in a replacement panel is you need to make sure you can get behind the panel to rust proof/paint behind else it will rust again from the inside..”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’d heard he’s a bit odd

No more than yours truly :wacko:

Looks pretty honest. If you get really stuck and can’t find a decent driver’s seat you could use the foams and trim covers off a passenger seat. Also, have you looked into if you can still get the trim? Maybe get foam repair and retrim. As for the screen rust, is it a dash out job? That’s all I could find “There are a few tricks to getting them right, like lining up the wiper pivot points, & the body lines. Also, make sure of painting the underside of the new panel before final fitting!” “The problem with welding in a replacement panel is you need to make sure you can get behind the panel to rust proof/paint behind else it will rust again from the inside..”

I spoke to Frank, and he said you can sometimes/usually get by using a piece of steel sheet between the dash and screen to protect it whilst fitting it if you are careful.  I am not after a show car so as long as its functional and neat I will be happy.  Good tip with the priming, I have got cans of weld through primer I use on the Kombi so sounds like that’s the go.  Have also just ordered some pump up rear shocks, gas struts for the rear, plugs, dist cap, leads, oil filter and oil for a service.  Will post up a video of it later, sounds lovely at idle.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I’d heard he’s a bit odd

No more than yours truly

Good point!

Probably why we got along so well  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Roger that!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Anyone got any info on how to remove a VL wagon tailgate lock mechanism so I can get it re keyed?  Stuffed if I can see how it comes out, I was expecting a simple C clip.  Have tried google with no luck so far, but if anyone has a link?

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

ill see if I can find out for you google search came up with nothing for me as well..

Might pay to get one of these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VL-rb30-turbo-gregorys-manual-workshop-mx7-lw5-hdt-hsv-bt1-calais-s18/323544190417?hash=item4b54bc8dd1:g:~JgAAOSwtmZb5–q:rk:46:pf:0

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I actually have my old Max Ellery manual from when I had my old VL, I also have the VB-K one when I had a VC back in the day.  Neither show it, but maybe the Gregorys one does.

Profile photo of SSZ 666
    SSZ 666
    Participant

Jesus thats moist

Makes me regret selling my factory 308 VK wagon years ago.

for the money, for the glory.... and for the fun !! Mostly for the money

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bought a box of goodies to do a tune up, service etc.  Also picked up a pair of new gas struts for the tailgate so I don’t have to prop it open with wood anymore :good:

I also got the tailgate button working and latching using a ton of WD40 and some elbow grease.

Now I can have a decent look at it, and tbh the tailgate is rooted, way past with rust.  Its funny most of the car is really sound rust wise, except for under the front windscreen and the tailgate.

So I am on the look out for a mint 1st gen tailgate so if anyone sees one come up can you let me know please.

Look mum, no hands  :yahoo:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

makes me regret selling my <insert car here> years ago.

Said every car guy at some stage :cry:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well the joys of owning an old classic.  Had a hour or so this avo so thought I would clean the engine bay, crack, one of the hinge bolts for the bonnet snaps.  No biggie really but I need to get the guard off to get behind it and remove the snapped off part.  Have just worked out since owning my old VL, a chunk of my workshop manual has gone west, of course the body section, so removing the guard isn’t that easy when you have no idea where all the bolts are.  But will buy a nice new manual and get onto it.  But since the bonnet is off thought I would clean up the air vents, an also remove the mangy under bonnet protector.  Have to say i love this car, its by no means perfect, but it just seem really honest.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Have the guy coming tomorrow to pull out the front screen so i can do the rust repair. So thought I would potter around and see what could be done with the broken bonnet hinge pin. Pulled the front guard off (what a crappy job on your own) then found that the hinge pin is into a blind pocket. So decided to use a hole saw and gain access. I then progressively drilled it out then fitted a n M8 stainless bolt with a nyloc, and turned up a spacer bush. Came up neat At some stage might find a body rubber plug to fill the hole. Also got the bonnet on all purdy. Just waiting on my young mate Joe who is satin blacking the air cleaner and re sticker and it should start to look neater.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

you know what Gary I have owned early commodores for about 20 years and just recently found out you can take the bonnet hinges off “who new” :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: as they say never too old to learn

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well I will be honest. I wouldn’t have touched it if it hadn’t broken. Trouble is its a shit of a place to get access too.  You wouldn’t even know it’s how it’s bolted if it didn’t break.  Not Holden’s best work….

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Also just found out I won an eBay auctions for a new tailgate lock with key for $35. Score!!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So decided to have crack at the windscreen cowl.  Got a “professional” to come and pull out the screen, of course he broke it, also left the car covered in shit.  Not happy Jan.  But have cut out the old cowl, and its a bit like doing the Kombi, I separated off the the old panel part that’s been spot welded, then linished it back to good metal.  I think its going to work out well.  Did a first test fit of the Rare Spares panel and it lines up perfect, so hopefully after all the Christmas festivities should get stuck into it.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Nasty the old mate rust will never get away from it

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, I guess the reality is they are 30 years old and Holden weren’t exactly on top their game back the rust wise!!

Btw, not sure how many people are following this on here, but if anyone has an early girl shell, I am looking for a small section of the lower passenger side windscreen area for a rust repair.  Obviously easier for me northern suburbs Adelaide but its such a small area I am needing post may work.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.