This topic contains 143 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi All, not sure if anyone can help me, I want to know the details of this car please, ie colour/trim as it came out of the factory?.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of DRAG.ON
    DRAG.ON
    Participant
    • broken hill
    • ve vk hdt retro blown cammed vf 25th clubsport build number 42 of 100 vnss tuff 355 was blown now going turbo

• View build HERE

trim blue

paint alpine white

check out this for the rest

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=24924

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of DRAG.ON DRAG.ON.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of DRAG.ON DRAG.ON.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers for that.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

you looking at getting it?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I am looking for a VL Wagon as a tow car.  I liked that one but IMO he wants too much.  I would prefer a V8 but would also look at a 6 if the price and condition was right. So if anyone has one or knows of one hit me up :good:

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

VL wagon with an LS swap would be a nice tow car…. By now you could do a basic LS1 swap in your sleep haha… stick a smallish cam in it to bump up the torque and it’d be perfect, could get the parts for bugger all as well, pick up a VX Berlina or Calais on the cheap and it’ll have almost everything you’ll need

sands vs
    Participant

VL wagon with an LS swap would be a nice tow car…. By now you could do a basic LS1 swap in your sleep haha… stick a smallish cam in it to bump up the torque and it’d be perfect, could get the parts for bugger all as well, pick up a VX Berlina or Calais on the cheap and it’ll have almost everything you’ll need

I approve of this :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Kind of disagree using an LS in a tow car, I think/feel the older style V8’s are much better suited.

(I do 1000’s of towing KM’s a year with an LS1)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea nah, I want it because its pretty much factory stock, matching numbers, which is what I am after.  If anything isn’t original gradually I will find the parts, I just want a nice factory V8 cruiser.  And I wanted to be able to club rego it, and I have always liked the VL.  I had a nice 5L ex cop VL back in the day, I loved that car :)  Btw looks like i scored it, once one of our trusty members on here takes a squiz at it in person for me :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well so this just happened, I just bought this old girl.  I have been looking for a quite a while for one.  I wanted a really sound, stock VL V8 wagon.  I wanted a tow car as my lad is starting karting again, I wanted something I could club register  Unfortunately it turned out to nigh on impossible to find, in fact, I really only saw one other and thought that was less than ordinary.  Then this popped up, unfortunately, while I was overseas.  Anyhow, my luck it didn’t sell.  I made a low offer only as I wanted to leave money in the kitty to what needed.  At first, he turned me down then we raised it slightly and now its mine.

Many thanks to IJ for going over and sussing it out for me and bringing it back to his place.  So now he is doing once over for me, hopefully, to make it driveable so my lad and I can cruise over and pick it up and drive it back.  Happy days!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So far from my research all the numbers check out matching :good:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice Gary what do you need to do to it

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Nice Gary what do you need to do to it

He needs to LS it hahaha. Or get IJ to throw an AWD setup under it  :good:

Nice pickup though Gary, they’re definitely rare

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks pretty honest. Needs rust repairs around the screens?

Should be a nice cruiser, hardly any vl v8 were made

might help

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/202484634445?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/202484634445?chn=ps

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi all, yes the rust at the front bottom of the windscreen is awful, the worst part of the car, but Rare Spares make a repair section, so I think that’s probably right up there in priority so it doesn’t start rusting out the sills etc. All VL’s seem to go there, but this one is particularly bad.   The tailgate isn’t great either but that’s not quite so bad, apaprently it doesnt latch, but I can look at that.  Also air con not connected (a bad sign) and there is an electrical gremlin in the dash.  Bear in mind I haven’t seen the old girl yet in person, its currently sitting at IJ’s place  ;-)

Other than that I think (hopefully) its pretty sound/honest.  The interior is pretty tatty, prob keep an eye out at some stage for a better driver’s seat (25I – New Blue) if anyone knows of one at a good price.  Also would like a factory radio, basically make it back to totally factory original.  But its also a tow car so it won’t be to the level of the Senator, just get it usable and not deteriorating further, then over time tidy it up.  Super happy to score it.

I have been told there were only 330 made, not sure if anyone knows how to find that out?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

I have been told there were only 330 made, not sure if anyone knows how to find that out?  

Try emailing Holden Customer Care.

They confirmed that my VE is 1 of 19.

They may or may note have build numbers on VLs but can’t hurt to ask them.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Try emailing Holden Customer Care. They confirmed that my VE is 1 of 19. They may or may note have build numbers on VLs but can’t hurt to ask them.

Cheers for that, will do!!

Profile photo of shred
    shred
    Participant

nice welcome to the vl world where you will scavenge an scrounge and pay far to much for the parts u want :)

forget teh factory radio to expensive buy a cheap media headunit for its radio and usb input the speakers in the dash require 4inch dual cone to fit if u need to replace those

i dont have any berlina trim but i think i do have an sl/exec drivers seat in 25i “s2” any other seats i have spare are the earlier “s1” type in beige or grey

to clarify there are no series officially in vl but early to mid 87 saw a transition to updated parts stylings which is why ppl will call stuff s1 or s2

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Great info mate, thank you.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, it’s home!!!  Kind thanks to IJ who brought it over, and I confirm he is a bloody nice bloke in person :good:

So happy with it, such a solid base to start from.  It’s a true survivor.  It’s not perfect, but its super original, all I can actually see is the radio and speakers in the back added.  It’s very straight a for a 30 y.o car.  So now just thinking through a plan.  IJ and I were chatting about maybe getting the cowel rust repair done by someone else, but I think I will have a go myself.  It will be good practice for the Kombi, and I am not after a show car.  Once I have done that and some other little bibs and bobs like giving a thorough clean I will have a crack at getting it regoed.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.