HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralInterior & TrimFull Metal Jacket/Solex Key Ignition

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VS 5.0 VS 5.0 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER
    VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Who sell these now, full metal jacket (ignition barrel protection) for a VB – VH Commodore ?

Do Solex manufacturer a aftermarket ignition key barrel and lock ?

Cheers,

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I dont think anyone sells them anymore they were a old school sort of thing and to be honest its all old stock. Only reference I could find was this and doesnt say to suit your model. Unsure the difference or if it could be modded.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VN-VG-VP-VQ-SS-HSV-FULL-METAL-JACKET-IGNITION-LOCK-PROTECTOR-/191290895943

Im pretty sure solex doesnt mate

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Repaired or rewired tonnes of cars that had these when was an apprentice.

solex locks were a crock of shite they’re were easily bypassed with screwdriver through doorskin,even those security plates added inside the doors didn’t do much.

Full metal jacket can be passed just way more damage to car to get through or around it.

Rather have an immobiliser alarm hidden that’s hard to access  + gps.Heaps of other things to do for better security

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

So a kill switch and car alarm (tilt sensor, immobilizer, hazard lights/horn sounding) would be a better choice ???

Plates behind the locks to prevent a screwdriver from digging out the locks ???

Cheers,

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Hidden kill switch as long as not obvious same with hidden alarm/gps tracker for when got the car out.

Also want to make sure not easy for them to get at the car when home good fence,dogs,security & nosey neighbours etc.

It all helps…although one car of mine they couldnt start or move it so pr*cks stripped whatever they could in garage while I was away.Lost thousands in parts.

Back in the day you’d hear crazy stories of several cars moved to get one they wanted,flat towed away or put on tilt-tray or dogs poisoned.

Yeah vk brocks(?) & think vn hsv could get these security plates put in the doors covered inside linkages..usually ended up with totalled door skin.

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

I already have battery relocated with kill switch to it,then someother things that need to b pushed in specific sequence to start the engine + 2x club locks (front,rear of the steering wheel) and a clutch/brake pedal lock.

My stuff above is that a good start

Cheers,

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

It all helps…although one car of mine they couldnt start or move it so pr*cks stripped whatever they could in garage while I was away.Lost thousands in parts. Back in the day you’d hear crazy stories of several cars moved to get one they wanted,flat towed away or put on tilt-tray or dogs poisoned. Yeah vk brocks(?) & think vn hsv could get these security plates put in the doors covered inside linkages..usually ended up with totalled door skin.

Sounds like you live in Western Sydney mate lol. Seems like a case of when and not if up here.

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

I had solex locks on my hq they were a pain in the ass always stuffing up. Good alarm does the trick, no one cares if car alarm goes off so i put my two sirens up under dash, if it goes off with you in the car makes your ears just about bleed :evil:

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I already have battery relocated with kill switch to it,then someother things that need to b pushed in specific sequence to start the engine + 2x club locks (front,rear of the steering wheel) and a clutch/brake pedal lock. My stuff above is that a good start Cheers,

You seem paranoid…….

solex locks are rubbish.

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

I already have battery relocated with kill switch to it,then someother things that need to b pushed in specific sequence to start the engine + 2x club locks (front,rear of the steering wheel) and a clutch/brake pedal lock. My stuff above is that a good start Cheers,

You seem paranoid……. solex locks are rubbish.

I now realise that solex locks do nothing as car has been broken into with them…screwdriver driven under to right the whole door lock out…so whats the point…

Paranoid or cautious…debatable…but my last car broken into they were there to steal it but the above stopped them in there tracks…

Thinking of rigging up some razor blades on the front seats…so they will get a nice surprise…

Car alarm 115db sounds scares the shit out of them haha…

Cheers,

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Where are you parking car????? Seems a little extreme, or do what i have done, ute is insured for more than it cost me so end of the day i win. Good black wire alarm and tracking, its all you need. And if its a daily then why use a vh as a daily.

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Trains stations,shopping car parks,Victoria (dandenong area)

Tracking is on the list…

Cheers,

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

If going to leave it places yeah gps tracking is a must.

No way I’d leave a decent oldie in car park or station they’re too easy to grab or tow away.

Rarely leave mine out of sight when it’s out anyway as they attract too much attention.Luckily got decent neighbours who keep an eye out even if temorarily parked on street although gets annoying people drive into street to take pics or ask them if cars are sale haha.

TUFGMH: That was early 2000’s…vn grp a that got stripped,think the car was just jinxed if you knew history of it.

Only car got stolen was worn out/scratched tahitian blue slx vh wagon outside the driveway when mother borrowed,luckily she forgot to refuel it so cops found it nearby…undamaged but all you needed was paddle pop stick or correctly worn key…rough ol’ thing it was.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy.
    VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

What are some good car alarm + immobilizer + gps packages $350-$400 range?

Brands like viper, cobra or mongoose ?

Or go for an American or European brand ?

I’ve heard that viper don’t produce to Australian standards ?

Cheers

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Pretty sure viper is australian standard my one is all black wiring etc

Profile photo of lukee1986
    lukee1986
    Participant
    • lukee1986
    • vl 1987 rb30 n/a imperial blue sunroof areo body kit nothing special

• View build HERE

if were talking about cheap car alarms then cardot smart car alarms is cheapest ive found $300 australian delivered to your door or 60 us +postage

including app key fob(remote)

about 30 wires 6 gagets to install enough youtube videos to do it yourself

it has passive locking locks when u walk away

push button start door sensing shock sensing boot bonnet sensing alarm

immobilizer

gps location and communication can cut engine off from your phone

connects to car horn or seprate siren

theres cardot smart car alarm get a 3g or 4g model for gps as it will work in australia most of thier other models are 2g which we dont use anymore in australia and 3g isnt far from leaving cheapest sim card for gps modual is aldi sim card at time of writing august 2019

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

OR retro fit the electrified door handles from the Rezvani Tank https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-rezvani-tank-revealed

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VS 5.0 VS 5.0.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VS 5.0 VS 5.0.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.