HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralSuspensionfitting koni inserts to gm struts guide vn/vz

This topic contains 50 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Hi guys,

Im fitting konis to my vs and thought I would put up my research to help others

link

http://www.druidhillroad.com/projects/koni/

They dont do a full strut so you have to modify a genuine holden strut to suit to accept the insert

Like so starts like this stock gm shock

then drill out base to drain oem fluid and gas

cut the top off

measure and insert koni shock.. put bolt through base which when done up draws the cartridge in

video if anyones interested

• This topic was modified 8 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I part mine off in the Lathe then centre drill the hole, just means you don’t need as a big a hole to allow for “wobbly hands”

sands vs
    Participant

That would be great would love to do it that way.. unfortunately I dont have access to a laithe that will be big enough for that kind of job… So it will be pipe cutter and drill :stress:

sands vs
    Participant

some vids show and some dont.. any idea if they have internal bump stops or you need to trim down the originals like in the second vid??

Profile photo of

some vids show and some dont.. any idea if they have internal bump stops or you need to trim down the originals like in the second vid??

Do you mean the Koni’s?

If so no they don’t you need to reuse the originals, I’d go as far as saying buy some new ones as I had one split on the Gt Ocean road and destroy the shock when it bottomed out, it broke the piston off the end of the shaft so it was a long slow Pogo Ride home…

sands vs
    Participant

Yeah for the koni inserts I have heard they dont use one at all as they have internal bump stops, But on the video it shows the origionals being trimmed

sands vs
    Participant

Well change of plans this happened last night…….

They may end modding these to fit konis at a later date anyway..

• This reply was modified 8 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    sands vs
    Participant

So whats peoples thoughts on the ride of these concerned they will be too harsh for a street car.?

Apparently they are a 9 pound coil

think its worth trying to get a lower pound coil and or change to progressive rate spring? Where would i be best to source these.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    sands vs
    Participant

Ok so I cant work out what coils are in it but from contacting kings. There spring rates in progressive are 180-230lb.. So as for fixed they only sell fixed so they suggested 225lb springs. They are 4kg so thats what I will be using.

Does anyone know if I have to change the spring helpers to match as well?

Profile photo of

No the Helpers are just there to keep the springs captive when fully extended.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Can you tell me a little more about this.  When I adjust my front down to the ride height I want the springs arent pre loaded at all and potentially rattle around under no load, it full extension or on the hoist.  I assume you shouldn’t run them like this.  Is this what these additional springs are about?

Profile photo of

Can you tell me a little more about this. When I adjust my front down to the ride height I want the springs arent pre loaded at all and potentially rattle around under no load, it full extension or on the hoist. I assume you shouldn’t run them like this. Is this what these additional springs are about?

Yep that’s exactly what they do, they’re designed to run “flat” when compressed, I think mine are like 40Lb rate so easily compressed by hand, they open back up when the shock is fully extended to prevent the Main springs dropping off their seats and causing damage, the only other way to do it is with a short stroke Shock that matches the Spring’s length.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Can you tell me a little more about this. When I adjust my front down to the ride height I want the springs arent pre loaded at all and potentially rattle around under no load, it full extension or on the hoist. I assume you shouldn’t run them like this. Is this what these additional springs are about?

I thought your xyz coilovers were like my bc’s where height adjustment is independent of the lower spring seat? Basically preload the spring then all height adjustment is done by adjusting the height of the lower mount in relation to coilover body?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not sure exactly what you mean (tbh I have little experience with adjustables).  But I basically adjust the yellow ring at the bottom of the spring in this pic, basically the lower I screw it, the lower the car sits but I get to a point just above the ride height I would like ideally where the spring is no longer pre loaded at all.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Gary the xyz coilovers you adjust the height independently to the spring height.  The spring is preloaded slightly with the lower spring seat then you can adjust the coilovers to any height with the bottom ring against the shock body!

Pedders explains it pretty well

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Far out, how bloody dumb am I!!  I didn’t realize that’s the way its done!!!  Thanks very much for that, much appreciated.

sands vs
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Back on topic.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Here is some assembled pics</p>

sands vs
    Participant
    sands vs
    Participant

Ok so making  coilovers from gm struts and a sleeve kit..

I know these will work just unsure what size to use

http://www.otomoto.com.au/c/4037307/1/sleeve-kits.html

These are a lot cheaper any ideas if these will work? I dont need springs

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/qa1-coil-over-sleeves

Information to help others the kit you need is 55mm.

The sleeve length is 150mm

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.