This topic contains 79 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant
    Supporter

This thing should go great guns with the L67! Especially with very little weight

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

No turning back now…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of firebug firebug. Reason: Up yours Photobucket

Nothing ruins your Friday more than realising it's only Tuesday...

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

What’s the ETA on this one Bug?

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Continental drift is faster at the moment I’m afraid. Doing a bit of a tidy up of the engine bay as we speak (weld up a hole I had to cut for the old supercharger). A sump mod is required, full exhaust build, fuel system upgrade and I should be done. I need it running and tested before the long weekend in October. Sounds doable but I’ve proved logic wrong before… :unsure:

Profile photo of

Continental drift is faster at the moment I’m afraid. Doing a bit of a tidy up of the engine bay as we speak (weld up a hole I had to cut for the old supercharger). A sump mod is required, full exhaust build, fuel system upgrade and I should be done. I need it running and tested before the long weekend in October. Sounds doable but I’ve proved logic wrong before…

Yeah understand that fully, I’m into month 10 of a 3 month build…… :-(

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Progress:

With help from a friend the motor is in the engine bay, just not fully attached. Engine mounts are giving us grief but will be sorted soon. Custom sump was re-modified to suit L67, some meat taken off the engine block and bell housing.

Wiring loom stripped of ancillary shit we don’t need. From this:

To this:

Surge tank and fuel pumps in…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of firebug firebug.

Profile photo of

Can you explain your fuel layout Bug?

(nice and neat)

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Can you explain your fuel layout Bug? (nice and neat)

The pump at the top of the picture is the lift pump (gravity fed) from the stock Gemini fuel tank to surge tank. The pump at the bottom of the picture is the feed pump, to check valve, to line pressure gauge, to filter, to hardline. Braided hose far left is the return line to surge tank. Braided line from very top of surge tank goes back to the main fuel tank.

All AN fittings are Speedflow , braided lines are -6, the pumps are Bosch 044, gauge is Aeroflow, filter is Z373, and the surge tank I got from ebay. ;-)

Profile photo of

Thanks, all the -6 had me confused, understand it on the Pressure pump but would have thought -8 or -10 on the inlet of the lift pump?

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Yes I’ve been looking at that. If the need arises or I have some spare money :whistle: I’ll upgrade to -8.

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Update:

Turns out we had all sorts of trouble fitting the new engine in. The 4L60e if quite a bit fatter than the T700 so out it all came and took to the tunnel with a grinder…

After much discussion we decided instead of fabricating in a VR Commodore tunnel my mate had spare, we should try and modify the orinal tunnel and see what happens. The gearbox mounts were the main concern if we cut out the old, so we bolted up the cross member back in place for support and to maintain its position while the modifications the the original occured.

Original tunnel

Cutting

As a result, we sliced down the middle of the tunnel and in a few places across the front to make it wider and taller. There is also more room now for the intake manifold and coolant pipe…

Welding back up

Then I ran out of gas :( so I’m off now into town to get a bigger cylinder.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of firebug firebug. Reason: Up yours Photobucket

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

So inside all but done other than the replacement section for the B&M shifter to mount onto, the old setup was a hacked up setup that was not very sealed and certainly not the most rigid. We are fairly confident that will no longer be an issue with the new section we’ve started to weld in but I hadn’t taken a photo of.

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Werd…

There is an abundance of room around the gearbox now. Now to make a new gearbox mount.

Shifter in its new home on a bed of fresh metal…

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks great, nice work :good:

Profile photo of

Coming along nicely Bug!

Cable shifters make life so much easier  :XD:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Been busy mate, keep it up  :good:

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Update:

Happy to say the headers are in. A couple of small modifications to the engine mounts and they miss everything! Not much room in there now though. Clearances are pretty tight so a little heat reflective tape here and there may be in order. But all in all I’m very pleased with the result. Now to build the rest of the system…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of firebug firebug.

Profile photo of

Headers are always a huge Hurdle to overcome in a build, I usually try to knock them over soon as possible, looking good FB!!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Ceramic coating the headers will make a huge difference to the heat issues in the bay.  Its not cheap but it does work :good:

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Bit of an update. Due to a much needed family vacation the Gem hasn’t seen too much love. There are some dribs and drabs I can scrub off the list. Exhaust is finished front to back now. Just have to re route the wideband through the floor again. Fuel lines are finished and ready for pressure testing. Made up an air box now I have a little room in that corner of the engine bay. Accelerator cable also hooked up and working. Made an adapter plate for a power steer delete pulley so the tensioner works as it was intended.

Next major thing on the list is radiator plumbing. :)

New belt config:

Front fuel lines plumbed for now. I will eventually ditch the stock fuel rails for billet jobbies:

Air box with pod within:

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of firebug firebug.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.