HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine Conversions & EngineeringEngine Change – Trimatic to turbo pattern

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

I have a VH with a 253. I want to change the engine to a 308 carby and in particular a 308 with turbo pattern so I can run a T700 box (for the overdrive/4th gear).

Now because the VH only came with trimatic pattern 308, I was looking at a VN-VT 304 block since they’re all turbo pattern and a lot easier to come by. I want to make sure the car can be registered with the new engine number before I do the work so rang the RMS technical line to confirm I can use the EFI block with all the standard carby emission requirements.

I was told that this was not possible because the engine number shows the block is EFI and should therefore run all the EFI gear. The guy didn’t sound convincing and had to place me on hold for 5 mins while he checked.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Should I confirm with a mechanic that does blue slips or a RMS certified engineer? Has anyone done this conversion before? Should I be on the look out for a 308 from a WB etc to make life easier? and finally, can I get a trimatic block re-drilled for turbo pattern boxes?

Sorry for all the questions.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You must comply with all the rules of the new engine and the era of vehicle it came from.

you can get the trimatic block red tilled but that will lead to a rebuild as it will have to be torn down.

Why not stick with a tri??

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Might have to. I wanted the overdrive gear for highway driving with 3.9 diff gears.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Could make up a Drill Guide/Jig to redrill and Tap it to TH Pattern that wouldn’t require stripping the original block..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^+1 for the drill guide, but then of course some fairy living at the bottom of your garden could one night when your not looking machine the number off the efi block and restamp it the same as your current engine.  Not that I condone that sort of stuff but fairies will be fairies.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

The problem with re-drilling is that some of the holes overlap partially, the locating dowels I believe.

I thought there was a after market bell housing but it looks like that option is only available for manual transmissions.

Another option may be an adaptor plate http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptor-kit-for-Trimatic-block-to-Chev-Turbo-pattern-gear-box-Holden-V8-253-308-/141166632951

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Its not drilling new holes that’s the problem its the dowel location as above.

Just source a block and rebuild, cough* deck it.

Profile photo of

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Its not drilling new holes that’s the problem its the dowel location as above. Just source a block and rebuild, cough* deck it.

Or machine up some offset dowels…  :XD:

(sorry it’s the machinist in me)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bloody hell this conversation takes me back to my steel case Toyota 5 speed into my little LC GTR days…  These guys would maybe do the bell housing you need? http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/bellhousings/holden-253-308.html?p=1

edit: is this what you need?  http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/bellhousings/holden-253-308.html?cat=302

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

Bellhousing on a 700 is integral Gary..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So that adapter is the go then IJ?

Profile photo of

So that adapter is the go then IJ?

Yeah that would be the most cost effective way to do it!

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

How reliable is a trimatic to turbo adapter plate. Is anything prone to breaking with mild power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of

How reliable is a trimatic to turbo adapter plate. Is anything prone to breaking with mild power? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be 12mm plate, probably only good for 1500+hp….

Marzella
    Participant

Or machine up some offset dowels… (sorry it’s the machinist in me)

Offset dowels are good, problem is most people wouldn’t know how to dial in a case or that you even should. Dowels are more critical than people give credit for… Hell some people just bash out the trimatic block dowels drill 2 new holes and bolt the case up undoweled.

Marzella
    Participant

Haha thats what a cipro saw is for….  :good:

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

I know an auto place in Hallam that did a trimatic bellhousing on the T700’s, i actually rang them about it many many years ago. And it looks like they still do it…

http://www.transtyle.com.au/products.html

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My cars making 600+ and has the starter swap plate that’s pretty much exactly what that is with no issues at all.  Looks like its made very well, cant see it being an issue.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I know an auto place in Hallam that did a trimatic bellhousing on the T700’s, i actually rang them about it many many years ago. And it looks like they still do it… http://www.transtyle.com.au/products.html

I think the issue as IJ pointed out though is the T700 (& 4L60e) are a one piece case design, so you cant swap the bell housing.  The 4L65e has a split case. I reckon that CRS adapter is pretty simple way to go.

Profile photo of

Later 60E’s have the removable bell housings..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.