HomeForumsGeneralNews & EventsE85 – Well that didnt last long….

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Can’t see the spread of it in servos now, if anything will this make it die out?

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-drops-e85-from-commodore-20150415-1mlhax.html

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

It was never going to be a viable option due to the costs involved in producing it, Australia doesn’t have the population density needed for it to break even let alone be profitable, it was touted as “Green” right up until you look at the infrastructure and expense…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’m still gunna build my combo to suit it. Then run and eflex sender.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If your building a semi race car your mad not to, especially if its boosted ;)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If your building a semi race car your mad not to, especially if its boosted ;)

can only wish

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Both mine are set up Flex Fuel, I can see them ending up charging what it’s actually worth so it’s not going to be “affordable race fuel” but it has a lot of benefits even if the price goes up.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Benefits though are mainly boosted and for racing aren’t they, you get a bigger window with timing advance & CR, which on FI is worth it right there, but NA not quite so, it also burns cooler which can have advantages. Downside is its harder to get, at least around where I am and it means jerry cans which sort of takes away from the streetability in my case, your pumps and lines have to be compatible, and its pretty weird shit if you spill it, its sort of like the blood scene out of the first Alien, well it was/is on my coated shed floor anyways.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Servo’s have already stop selling it and I think united are the only people to have it and are charging what they want for it now :/

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What’s it cost now?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

For me it’s not so much what they charge, it is a race fuel after all, it’s just so hard to get hold of.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

It’s a shame

I would love to run mine on it but coming in at $500-600 for 200 litres drums it’s just to expensive

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Double post.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Marzella Marzella.
    Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

$1.30/L at United here… Hope it doesn’t go I’ll be fucked haha be C16 at $15/L

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Yer around $1.30ish now

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Guys I’ve run flex coming up four and a half years now, used around 20kl, 180k km driving rural highways mainly.

Being an existing contributor to exise tax as a wine and spirits producer / wholesaler I’ve looked into aspects of compliance for extending business to sustainable ethanol from biomass, and can assure you production and wholesale of eligible exise-free commercial alcohol is not cost prohibitive.

Rather it is independent retail channels, PR / perception (no thanks to Big Oil) and hence demand which are issues.

Inter capital touring eastern seaboard is no problem using flex, and inland the only leg of a trip from Brisbane to Barossa that has no high octane (including flex) is basically across the Hay Plain through Mildura. In fact the only major trek without flex was Broken Hill through Cobar.

In rebuilding the motor in my Gen IV to capitalise on the efficiency offered by flex, I collected a library of good technical information which I will post in my build shortly.

One fundamental misunderstanding is that for peak performance the ethanol fraction in fuel needs to be as high as possible. In most scenarios 50% ethanol achieves the same result, meaning effective knock-free range is at least 1000km between flex pumps, topping up with (any) petrol near halfway.

Another is that consumption in litres per 100k is the only yardstick of value, yet when the accountant speaks it is ¢ per km.

My revised budget with the rebuild is 10¢ per km B-)

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

PR / perception (no thanks to Big Oil)

How surprising – not

I collected a library of good technical information which I will post in my build shortly.

Def interested in that.

One fundamental misunderstanding is that for peak performance the ethanol fraction in fuel needs to be as high as possible. In most scenarios 50% ethanol achieves the same result, meaning effective knock-free range is at least 1000km between flex pumps, topping up with (any) petrol near halfway. 

Didn’t know that.  So this is the sensor I keep hearing about that in some way alters the ECU tune as a response to the actual percentage of Ethanol?

Profile photo of SaUte
    SaUte
    Participant
    Supporter

I was really annoyed when E85 vanished from my local, my ute is compatible and ran really well on it.

Mick

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

One fundamental misunderstanding is that for peak performance the ethanol fraction in fuel needs to be as high as possible. In most scenarios 50% ethanol achieves the same result, meaning effective knock-free range is at least 1000km between flex pumps, topping up with (any) petrol near halfway.

Didn’t know that. So this is the sensor I keep hearing about that in some way alters the ECU tune as a response to the actual percentage of Ethanol?

Yeah, what ECU are you running? Strictly speaking it is a belts and braces precautionary measure – you don’t need it at least not when running e38 or e67 with EFILive custom OS. Possible for ECU to calculate ethanol percentage based on O2 reading in any case but dedicated sensor is probably worth the $120 if ECU has the pin free.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I am running a VY LS1 ECU.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Hmm I am not sure about standalone processing power of that unit, is the same processor as used in the original Mac Plus 30-odd years ago, so I think it may need a co-processor to handle flex calcs. :wacko:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.