This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Just Wondering what options are there regarding replacing the stock diff mount? in a VT-VY

what has worked for people

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I’ve got the standard rear diff mount ATM, I also previously had the standard mount with the urethane insert.  With the insert I noticed a bit more vibration in the rear.

I have a new billet  alloy rear mount that has 2 rubber bushes, similar to this one but not from this company.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pontiac-GTO-04-06-Holden-VT-VZ-Commodore-Billet-Rear-Diff-Mount-Silver/372351689212?hash=item56b1e3e1fc:g:iiAAAOSwIzBbNltJ

Haven’t fitted it yet so can’t comment on the ride.  My mate has the Harrop diff cover with the increased fluid capacity and the 2 bushes and that seems to work well enough and doesn’t ride much different to stock although that is in a VR SS.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I just used a whiteline insert. Not issue.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I’ve had the diff out once before. I thought while i was at it to replace the standard type rubber mount with nolathene type but when I went to do it couldn’t get the insert into the housing.

i ended up giving up a refitting the stock one.

now that I’m fitting the new diff soon, I’m just trying to work out the best option,  I’m not real sure on the nolathene ones. I’m more leaning towards a Tuff Mounts one(similar to what you posted above) or the Harrop cover. But no one has much feedback on either

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I run the Harrop Cover and Mount in the Lexcen, before that it did 75.000Km’s in the Tonner can’t fault it.

Immortality
    Participant

I’ve had the diff out once before. I thought while i was at it to replace the standard type rubber mount with nolathene type but when I went to do it couldn’t get the insert into the housing. i ended up giving up a refitting the stock one. now that I’m fitting the new diff soon, I’m just trying to work out the best option, I’m not real sure on the nolathene ones. I’m more leaning towards a Tuff Mounts one(similar to what you posted above) or the Harrop cover. But no one has much feedback on either

I think mine is a Tuff Mounts one, I got it from a supplier on Trademe in NZ but looking at the pics it’s identical and that supplier has other Tuff Mounts stuff for sale.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I’ll try and fit a new insert into the spare housing I have and see how it goes.

$36 isn’t a huge outlay, it might also give me enough time to decide on the other mount if it doesn’t work out

Immortality
    Participant

The inserts can be quiet hard to fit, I know with mine I had to trim it slightly to make it fit.  I should refit it, I changed diffs and used the one fitted on the spare diff at that time.  That diff was only supposed to be on the car temporarily but it’s  still going ok so haven’t bothered to change it out yet.

Immortality
    Participant

Here you go, this is mine fitted.

I also did new rear shocks so it’s gonna be hard to say exactly what difference the diff mount will make but I just took it up the road and the rear end felt a lot more solid.

I also figured out that the rear subframe is probably out of alignment.  The diff mount is as far back as it will go on it’s mounting slots and the diff is still pushing back hard on the bushes, also the passenger side is a touch further back than the drivers side.  Looks like the front subframe bushes will need doing ASAP and then figure out how to align the sucker properly.  I know Holden have a jig, now to figure out how to set that up at home in the driveway.

Immortality
    Participant

Well I’ve been out driving for an hour or so and the rear end is a lot more planted, even the missus commented it cornered better and was much more stable.   Previously it seemed to float/shimmy a bit when cornering under power.   I’m calling it a success.  B-)

Now to sort out the subframe alignment issue.   Will pick up new bushes and figure out how to set the rear subframe at home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.