HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralECU & TuningDiagnostic scan tools

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 4syth
    4syth
    Participant
    • Central Coast NSW
    • \'79 VB SL/E (weekend cruiser) \'04 VY SS (family hack)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m looking to buy a scan tool for home, something that can read and clear codes, read live data, code keys etc.

I only want to spend around $400, have any of you guys got something at home or work? Any suggestions?

Ive used tech2, Gscan, snap on etc at work, I know $400 won’t get me something like that.

They can have my V8 when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I use a Scan Gauge II in mine, handy bit of gear.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Was gonna start a new thread but found this so thought I’d grab the shovel and give it the old dig. There’s been some improvements in recent years with OBD scanners, anyone here use/recommend one? Supercheap have a Bosch unit on sale at the moment for $199, I’d like to get one to use during my first start up that can show oil pressure etc. to see if it’s running properly, plus future checks on stuff down the track. eBay have some bluetooth/wifi connectors for like $20 that use some apps to display some functions and let you reset fault codes but I’m not sure if they’re accurate or worth getting.

Profile photo of

I stand by the Scan GaugeII, it’s in my Daily and is now used as supplemental gauges but is there if I ever need it to read and clear codes, I have mine configured for Engine Coolant temp, MAP, Trans Temp, and Oil Pressure, I just have it velcroed to the lower right side of the dash.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Was gonna start a new thread but found this so thought I’d grab the shovel and give it the old dig. There’s been some improvements in recent years with OBD scanners, anyone here use/recommend one? Supercheap have a Bosch unit on sale at the moment for $199, I’d like to get one to use during my first start up that can show oil pressure etc. to see if it’s running properly, plus future checks on stuff down the track. eBay have some bluetooth/wifi connectors for like $20 that use some apps to display some functions and let you reset fault codes but I’m not sure if they’re accurate or worth getting.

Im gunna use a scan tool too as I won’t have my dash setup. They are very handy.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    Profile photo of

Yep that’s what I have!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And mine being based on the VY would work with that? How sophisticated are they, for example when it wasn’t getting the cam positions sensor input, would it have told me that?

Profile photo of

Yep I used mine in my VY Adventra, it’ll display anything that is OBDII, if it throws a code it’ll display it, my Tonner had an issue way back when I converted it due to no input shaft speed sensor in the trans, it would lose Cruise Control after xx Km’s, annoying but not the end of the world, scan gauge would clear it for another xx Km’s..

You can program a lot of extras into them ie: if you want Oil pressure in PSI and so on, you can also change the backlight colour to match your dash.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I bought something a bit like that a long way back (can’t for the life of me remember its name) but was pretty clunky.  And you had to touch buttons on the back of it to enter.  So it made it so you couldn’t build it into the dash or whatever.  So this one looks like you could, say the din pocket under the radio in a VR/S for example with a cool Build Ninja 3D printed mount?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Actually, look nice I reckon with some slim line rocker switches either side.  Just a very rough mock up.

(Sorry for the thread hijack btw!!!)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

Perfect, mine is just stuck to the dash with Velcro..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just playing.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just playing.

Your onto something there Gary. I was purely talking about a hand held one. But now your giving me ideas.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Happy to design and make one of these up for you (or anyone else).  I would just charge the regular cost ($140) and do all the 3D modelling etc for nothing, but after would offer them on my website.  I actually think it would look super neat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.