This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CRZYVY CRZYVY 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Hey all, as far as I know there’s not a lot of street driven and blown race Commodores here. So I’m building one. It all started years ago when I brought my VY s pack. As just a daily driver, but a year after it over heated, leaned out, and melted a piston. Then it sat in the shed for a while, as I had other shit to do. But now we back in to it. So the plans are:

383 small block
    8/71 blower
    And.. Wait for it…
    Carburettors

Obviously there’s a lot of other stuff on the list but I’m just about to sort mounting my engine.

I’ll be doing all the work myself, as I’m a heavy diesel mechanic

Haha. Anyway I’ve not got a lot of pic on my phone but will take some after tea.

Cheers Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I mean what else do you do when you have blown up your car, of course, you stick an 871 on it and turn it into a 1000hp animal :good:    Love it!!  Welcome mate, looking forward to folowing this, especially the fact your doing it yourself ;-)

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Haha cheers man. Can’t beat that blower whine huh. Carry on removing the v6 and complete wiring loom, guards etc. ground to a halt for tonight as torx bit I thought I had at home is at work. Tomorrow is another day.

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

And a few pics of my new block on the stand

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well I am actually a NA kind of guy, but really i just like cars :)

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Bit more done

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Hey all,

So i have a few questions, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the VY? as i need to retain the BCM to control the windows etc, but want to strip all the rest out (airbags etc).

Also does anyone have any pics or info about converting the rear to 4 link and coil overs with a solid axle?

Cheers Daniel

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

Don’t take this as a dig, but I have to ask about the elephant in the corner…

Why carburettors????? I could almost understand if you were putting the motor into an old car that didn’t have the wiring for it.

But on a project that will have it’s own challenges and difficulties, surely the fact that the wiring and EFI tuning capability is already there makes it a no-brainer? Again, it’s not a bad thing, just curious as to your motivation?

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Don’t take this as a dig, but I have to ask about the elephant in the corner… Why carburettors????? I could almost understand if you were putting the motor into an old car that didn’t have the wiring for it. But on a project that will have it’s own challenges and difficulties, surely the fact that the wiring and EFI tuning capability is already there makes it a no-brainer? Again, it’s not a bad thing, just curious as to your motivation?

Hey man, nah not taken as a dig at all :)

I like carbs, and can set it all up myself, plus i like the mechanical look. Maybe one day ill go down the big injector set up. But for now carbs bring a bit of old school to it instead of just another ‘LS swap’ hahaha

Cheers Daniel

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

IMO I would of picked an earlier model with less wiring and weight if going the carby NA race car route.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ yea but often builds evolve out of what you have at the time, its not like you sit down with a clean sheet of paper and start from scratch.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

^ yea but often builds evolve out of what you have at the time, its not like you sit down with a clean sheet of paper and start from scratch.

Well not usually  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

There are exceptions to every rule buddy :)  And you are kind of exceptional….

Anyhow sorry for the thread hijack Dan!!

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Don’t take this as a dig, but I have to ask about the elephant in the corner… Why carburettors????? I could almost understand if you were putting the motor into an old car that didn’t have the wiring for it. But on a project that will have it’s own challenges and difficulties, surely the fact that the wiring and EFI tuning capability is already there makes it a no-brainer? Again, it’s not a bad thing, just curious as to your motivation?

If he were using an ls based motor and could use factory wiring with minor mods this might make sense but that is not a gen3/gen4 block so would seem efi on a small block would be a lot more hassle than carbs.

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

IMO I would of picked an earlier model with less wiring and weight if going the carby NA race car route.

Yeah fair enough, but i already had this and it owes me nothing, plus i like the shape. And to build and 10 second street driven car, id like to still have some creature comforts.

Cheers Daniel

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Hey guys, while I still haven’t decided how I’m going to do the wiring, I’ve started getting the back ready to measure up for the 4 link

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Wasn’t knocking it.

Have ve you considered running an Ls based motor and using the MSD boxes etc to run it with a carby? Much better base then a SBC IMO. Then you know parts are readily available which won’t have to be custom i.e.headers etc

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

LS is the new SBC i reckon  :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LS is the new SBC i reckon

Without Mid range Torque….  :XD:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Kinda think my engine doesn’t lack mid range torque  ;-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.