HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralBrakesBrakes for ls1 VR caprice

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SLO 05L
    SLO 05L
    Participant

Hey guys looking at getting some big brakes for my build in at the moment (vr caprice) anyone had any experience with the xyz big brake kit? seems good value at 2500 but have heard mixed reviews, none of which have been on a commodore. This is fronts only and from memory they are 6 piston and 355mm.Cheers!

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Mkal automotive uses them on his engineered ls swapped cars so must pass requirements and the hot wheels demo utes use xyz stuff too. What i haven’t seen is replacement cost of rotor rings and how often you have to replace hats.

Profile photo of SLO 05L
    SLO 05L
    Participant

Thanx mate :)

Profile photo of RBSMATT
    RBSMATT
    Participant

XYZ and many of these other brands are import kits of the cheaper variety hence the low price big size kit options. The things we see with import kits is the fact that replacement parts are often hard to get and they are not compatible with local DBA or even AP Racing parts. Flex, leaking and distortion also come up quiet often when people contact us to repair these products. Buyer beware and also remember that it is harder to certify these kind of kits so make sure you check with an engineer and insurance company if you want them certified.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I have XYZ adjustable shocks on mine.  I do agree quality wise they are good but definitely you can see why they are cheaper. Its the little things in the machining etc which are not perfect.  As you say I guess you get what you pay for.

My brakes are Wilwood, 6 piston fronts, 4 piston rears, they on the other hand I have to say are top quality.  I then have a Race Brakes Sydney supplied booster/master which was also perfect.  Brake performance and pedal feel is spot on.  I am yet to put it on a track though, that’s when I will really know how they perform, although part of the engineering tests was measuring brake fade etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.