This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,401 through 1,420 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LMAO, only issue there is I KNOW where they all are  ;-)

——————————————————————–

Bit of progress, bolted the guards on then hung the doors, cleaned and painted most of the hardware and replaced some with stainless, masked up the side molds and filled in the missed areas with Satin Black.

Bolted the Bonnet back on fitted the new BMW Badges then installed new Nutserts and refitted the Bonnet Vents, that’ll do for one day!

Profile photo of

Another Bendigo trip to collect tools and materials, dropped in on a mate then headed back into Kyneton as I was short a couple of cans of paint after trying 5 places..

Reassembled the boot lid, I’m glad I blacked out the Garnish, it would’ve been too much White for sure, assembled the Cage to make life easier while painting and had the brainwave to make it easier on my back by putting it on the Hoist!

Profile photo of

Made a couple of gussets for the fuse panel brackets and welded them on using my new mag clamps, worked perfectly with the extra magnets, coat of Primer now I’m waiting for it to flash off and do the topcoat, doing it on the Hoist is working great.

Profile photo of

And Done,

Thought I was going to spend half a day sanding scratches out of the AGI Black paint, turns out it’s a single coat no primer, ended up washing the scratches out with thinners saving heaps of time and effort!

The Ford Grey engine paint I use in the interiors of the race cars is weird shit, sprays one colour and dries a totally different colour..

Profile photo of

Bit of remedial work today, The Cage is perfect,  I noticed the other day that the defective Satin Black under the bonnet had bloomed up in the couple of weeks it cured, no big deal as it’s under the bonnet but it would have bugged me, I’ll go back down after lunch and if it’s ok I’ll unmask the car and call it a day.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow, been a bit out of action for a while, this is coming up mint. Love the satin look.  Is there any car fab skill you don’t possess?

Profile photo of

Thanks, it was never going to be “pretty” but I had a theme in mind all along.

LOL the one where I leave things alone….  ;-)

—————————————————–

Success, I had a few glaring issues with the exterior paint on the bonnet, one run and two paint drops about the size of a five cent piece, sanded those out and blew some paint on.

in a few days I’ll blend the edges with some prepsol and it should be fine (still crap but near enough) I also gave my step plates a cleanup with thinners, they had heaps of Primer overspray and some brown stuff that might’ve been tar, came up better than expected.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I love this thing, I mean I liked the Lexcen, but this is just next level again.

Profile photo of

Evo model  ;-)

—————–

That’s the last of the Fab work complete, the Brake hose guide mounts wouldn’t work as supplied so modified them, all good now!

Profile photo of

Installed the Brake hose guides and my new progressive bump stops on the Coilovers, rivited my bonnet pin clips back on.

Installed the door seals in preparation for the Cage install, the door opening has sharp edges and in the past it’s acted like a potato peeler on the cage, also padded the main hoop feet as they do the same to the Trans tunnel.

It all went really well, one tiny scratch, when I rejigged the cage I bought all new hi tensile hardware it’s been sitting in a bag for a year, start installing reach into the bag to find nuts bolts washers and a Scorpion…!

Profile photo of

Long day, I’m just about out of Data for the month so there’ll be more Pics tomorrow, put it back up on the hoist then installed the rear quarter glass, decided to do a bit of a mock-up for inspiration.

Got most of it together then Chevy ‘s comment from the other day Bit me in the arse… More fabrication, I forgot the Mirror mounts, couldn’t use the stock heavy as lead electric ones as they stick out badly and I got a few +5 second penalties in the Lexcen…

Profile photo of

Profile photo of

Had all intentions of just going down and putting the wheels away and removing the parts that are in the way for polishing..

When I took the drop sheet off the rear end I noticed the sad looking Sway bar that had come back from heat treat looking like arse and forgotten, it reminded me of the 2 fronts that were in worse shape..

Sanded them all down and noticed that the Spring place had done the usual 3/8″ holes instead of the 10mm I asked for, drilling 8 holes in hardened spring steel is a PITA..

Figured I’d blown my 5 minute work window for the day and being 8c here today rolled the dice and blew some etch primer on them, force dried that then hit em with a 10 year old can of gloss black I had on the shelf, will check tomorrow I’ll either be a hero or a 0…

Profile photo of

<span style=”color: #050505; font-family: ‘Segoe UI Historic’, ‘Segoe UI’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Sway Bar paint hero status unlocked! Too damn cold to be down there so called it a day early..</span>

Profile photo of

Went down and fiddled, before I started the painting I had to move the rear end, not thinking I just grabbed it and pulled… It clear off the Trans jack, it hit the floor on the tailshaft flange bending one of the locating ears over..

I had intended to put it in the lathe and cut the ears off, while I was in the little shed I found a “spare”.. fixed!

The next fiddle was the paint on the roof, the last two coats went on dry as, in hindsight I should have used less thinners but didn’t so ended up with a 120 grit roof…

Sanded it down a bit then hit it with some cutters then some polish, it’s still not a 100% but I don’t want to risk cutting through and this way I can cut and polish it again down the track..

Profile photo of

That’ll do for the day, I probably have 2 weeks of assembly work to do but given that there’s still routing and tidy up left to do and that I can’t put a Kokoda Death March effort in it’s going to be closer to 4>6 weeks..

Today for instance, I installed and plumbed the Fuel system but to get it “neat” took me 4 hours on what should’ve been an hour’s job.. had to lengthen the evap system lines and route everything till it pleased me..

Profile photo of

The boot seal in the 36 was 9 parts stuffed, I refitted it just so I could get the close adjustment right then sourced some new material, all good, on my way back I spotted the first Snake of the season on the road in front of my place, seems early..

Profile photo of

Today was a perfect example of how a couple of hours job can blow out to a full day, got the Heatshields and front Brake hoses installed, made some seals for the Roof Vent and bolted it on..

Next job was the external Battery Shut off handle, when I first installed it I noticed that the A pillar is 4 layers there with gaps between them, you also need tool access so I cut bigger holes in 1 and 2 but couldn’t get the hole Saw into 3, this meant when you tightened it up the outside skin pulled in and looked like arse..

I used my pneumatic right angle drill and punched a 14mm hole into 3 then made the aluminium sleeve so the nut is only doing up on layer 1, sorted!

My driveshafts have been sitting around with the CV joints open for a year so were full of Shed crap, I intended on repacking them with Moly grease anyway so got stuck into it.

After disassembly and cleaning the rear went together no probs, the front being a plunge joint was a bitch, thought I had it so greased it up siliconed the end cap on and bolted them both up now I have spare flanges.

The non genuine fronts I use don’t have a gasket and being close to the exhaust they boil the grease and it leaks out so they don’t last very long, it’s almost impossible to silicone them while fitting them in the car so the flanges sort that..

All good or so I thought, here’s the extra bonus round of wasted time, moved the joint and it was notchy and horrible, thought bugger it’s stuffed from new, pulled it down ready to swap in an old used joint to find one of the balls had escaped on assembly… DOH.. fixed and good to go.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It is just crazy how much time some jobs can take.  I had to ake up a simple 900 long nut plate today for the rear hatch hinge, 3 hours later…  Coming along a treat though mate, really looking the goods.

Profile photo of

LOL yeah so many 5 minute jobs left…   ;-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1,401 through 1,420 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.