This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,381 through 1,400 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Scored 100 DA discs along with a litre of White and a litre of primer and 5 litres of thinners, bought a couple of stripper discs for the 4″ angle grinder, makes short work of the Black but you can’t take layers down so bare it is… But having seen how many times the bonnets been painted it’s not a bad thing.

Profile photo of

There ya go, justification why I didn’t want to do a full bare metal respray, took me an entire day to get it ready to primer..

Didn’t help that it was 8 to 10 layers thick in places, here’s how you can tell your panel shop can’t match or blend, there’s two tiny dents front left of the bonnet, filler and high build the entire bonnet and repaint… Again…

The Stripper discs are brilliant but if you’re not careful you can mark up the steel so more sanding is required, without them it would have taken a month, the plenum intake was a total bitch to do.

Profile photo of

Just fiddling today..

Profile photo of

Bit more, having to do a few coats as the Etch Primer is a bit thin and doesn’t cover the imperfections like high build..

Profile photo of

Always looks a bit arse when you first paint using cans, you can’t lay a full wet coat so it dries uneven and looks blotchy, I’ll go down in a couple of hours and check.. there’s a couple of runs that will need sanding and a touch up.

Profile photo of

And done, it’s far from great but much better than the last effort, doesn’t have 3mm of paint on it, I’ll let it go off for a week or so then give it a sand.

Profile photo of

Went over the bumpers and touched up any areas that needed it, made a start on the shell going over it all with a Red Scrubber, got a couple of rub throughs so fixed them, it’s all ready to go, just need to rub it all down with the Grey Scrubbers then prepsol it.

Maybe I’m just getting oldNfeeble but I don’t remember this being such hard work the last time I did it… also noticed the roof was a bit dry towards the middle so got some tyres and my Ride on mower ramps, sorted!

Each time I work on this thing I spot more and more Blems, made the decision I’m just going to paint it and ignore them or I’ll still be doing this shit in 6 months then be heartbroken the first time I rub a tyre bundle..

Profile photo of

Went back down and covered the Shell in a plastic sheet, I’ve decided to paint all the Hang on Panels first so the sheet will keep any over spray off it.

I have a bit over 7 litres of the Heron White Acrylic there but it’s all been mixed by different people at different times, I bought a couple of empty 4 litre cans with this in mind and divided it all equally between the 2 cans, I decanted a litre for “repairs” and put it aside.

Will have a crack at it tomorrow when I’m fresh.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I was close to mentioning “ I’ll just give it a quick blow over, its only a race car “ hahaha

Profile photo of

LoL, the struggle is real…

OCD is a bitch. :yes:

Profile photo of

That’s 1 litre of paint down, I gave the insides of the bumpers a good coat so I don’t end up an itchy mess when I work on this thing!

Had a thought if I DON’T polish it it’ll be a nice Satin White finish and be a bit trendy (and save a shit load of work) ..

Thoughts?

Profile photo of

And another litre down, love how quickly it dries, was able to get this morning’s work off the stands and finish all the hang ons!

Profile photo of

Thought I better go down and unmask the molds before the paint fully hardens, less chance of lifting an edge this way.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

looking really good Ian , Satin – gloss up to you if less work then go that way and if it’s easy to repair later

Profile photo of

Thanks Frazer, I’m pretty happy with how it’s coming out so yeah think I’ll stick with the Semi Gloss finish!

Profile photo of

Done!

Profile photo of acepaint
    acepaint
    Participant

Looking good.

Dont leave your  freshly painted parts covered with the tarp for too long though though, they will sweat and may cause solvent issues  :nice:

Profile photo of

Thanks Ace, the tarp was only over them to keep the over spray Off while I was painting, they’re all up on the stands again.

Profile photo of

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

The best thing about painting your own car at home in white is that its so bright in the sun you cant see any imperfections haha

Viewing 20 posts - 1,381 through 1,400 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.