This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,341 through 1,360 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I’d forgotten just how much I dislike body prep and how much like archaeology it is..

Bonnet has MANY layers of paint, that’s enough for today, sanded out where some Turd had keyed the driver’s door then did a small repair on the front left guard where it had cracked..

Also fitted a couple of door lock buttons inside as they were missing after shortening the rods so they don’t flop around..

Profile photo of

Zapped into the village to collect my new Bonnet struts to replace the cheap pair I ratted from the Lexcen after one of them going flat, back to the self raising bonnet  :yes:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’d forgotten just how much I dislike body prep and how much like archaeology it is.. 

Amen to that!!

Profile photo of

Stripped the panel’s off, gutted the doors and removed all the double sided tape the factory use to hold some of the trims on..

This is the most it’s been apart as I was trying to avoid going this far.. it’s a really good Shell probably a shame to do this to it but……

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not a shame to take a pretty ordinary run of the mill beemer two-door shell and turn it into a cool track car.  It’s not like its an M3.

Profile photo of

Yeah guess so, just would’ve made a really nice road car..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yeah guess so, just would’ve made a really nice road car..

Next project?

Profile photo of

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Nah no more projects this is the last…</p>
    ———————————————-

Nothing’s ever easy or aka FML at times, had a left over hole in the rear floor, forgot to weld a patch over it before painting the interior..

I got some really cool blanking grommets for the other holes, they have a wide flange section so stay put, figured I’d grab one for the hole, ordered it and of course Aus Post lost it so they sent me a replacement, it went from Tullamarine to Dandenong, 40k in the wrong direction…

It arrived today so went in to collect it, get to the top of the hill at my place and visibility is down to 15 meters, slow trip in and back, of course it’s a regular blank with the narrow flange and won’t work… grrr

Cut a disc of 3mm aluminium keyed up one side and used high temp RTV to glue it in place.

Profile photo of

Done for the day, was only going to sand the doors and roof but OCD kicked in..

The drip rail trims look like they were once plastic coated but it’s all fallen off and being mild steel they were rusted and badly pitted, sanded them in place then hit em with the DA before removal, I’ll prime them and paint them Satin Black.

The paint on the doors looks original, very thin compared to the front panels, only found one previous repair, on the drivers quarter same place I repaired on the passenger side a couple of weeks back, mine didn’t need filler though..

Only repair left is a dent in the bonnet that has a brace behind it so I can’t knock it out, a LOT of hand sanding to do on the backs of things and in the shuts then I can blow some primer on it.

Profile photo of

Made a start on the paint as it was warm enough today, these China Fibreglass parts are a bit Crap, wasn’t an issue before when I was going with the stock equally Crap paint but my brain won’t let me do shit work so…

The Samoa Blue paint I did the other week made a good guide coat, most of it is gone to get the panel flat enough for Primer..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Great progress as always mate.

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, won’t be anything brilliant being a race car but will be all one colour and easily repairable, as it lives inside I’m painting it in acrylic, two pack would be better but there are health issues using it so the acrylic is safer and easier.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Have you decided on a paint colour/scheme yet?

Profile photo of

Yeah Heron White with Satin Black bonnet, flares and Carbon Wing, Roof vent and Splitter, nothing fancy..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Will look neat and functional.

Profile photo of

Will look neat and functional.

Yeah I think so and will match the Tonner!

————————————

Front bumper was a bit more Crap than the rear, still have another Front to do, blew a second coat on the Rear to match the Fronts.

Profile photo of

Big day,

Got the Tarmac Front bumper and Lip prepped, scuffed up the underside of the Bonnet blew some Primer on it all then had to hit the post office and head into town for some meds, was cutting it fine so a bit of low flying was in order..

(My low tech spray booth)

Profile photo of

Bit more done, Boot garnish in etch primer, ditto on the Drip rail molds, Bonnet ding repaired and in primer, thinking of doing the Boot garnish in Satin black to break up the boot a bit, thoughts?

Profile photo of

Profile photo of

Went down to “fiddle” with no intention of doing what I had planned… Turned to shit a bit so after correcting that fail I figured I’m grotty I’ll push on a bit.. got the Diffuser pulled apart and  sanded with the 240 grit to key it up then blew a coat of Etch Primer on it.. bit cold so I’ll have a few runs to sand out before paint.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,341 through 1,360 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.