This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,201 through 1,220 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Builds an AWD LS race car with pretty much everything custom and hand made and is surprised by the size of the project.  You crack me up :scratch:

Whats is your plans with the lights etc, just fitting the standards back in or some sort of dummy panel?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LOL yeah there’s that… guess I just thought I’d have been recycling a lot more from the Lexcen but as you mentioned yesterday I’ve improved strengthened every single aspect of the car so it’s all good!

I made a pair of blanks to fill the stock holes and I’ll make a new mount for the light bar setup I used on the Lexcen..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks great with those!!  Yea totally different body configuration and shape.  Not long now mate…

Profile photo of

The stock lights are a bit crap and prone to breakage during the day events, I rarely run night events anyway so not a hassle to bolt the light bar on.. yep not much left to do now!

Profile photo of

Firmly into Wiring Hell…

Spent an entire day on it just identifying what it all is, what I need to keep and what can be safely deleted, in the Lexcen I ran full VZ harnesses, so there’s a lot to go, Air bags, HVAC, stereo, per windows, mirrors, seats..

Still have a another day before I get to modifying it all to fit..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I didn’t do the loom in mine and wish I did. Bugs the shit out of me knowing there is redundant wires in there the guy just taped over. Slow and steady wins the race mate!!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Half the reason why I just paid someone for a custom loom. But mainly cause I’m shit and hate wiring hahah.

Profile photo of

I just did enough to make it work last time, I figure I’ve gone so far into the build this time I may as well remove all the unused wires..

Profile photo of

Today End..

I think I’m at the point I can just about start laying it out, I’ve removed all of the redundant wiring, had a bit if a scare when I thought I’d chopped out something needed but it turned out it was only the wires for the 2nd pair of O2 sensors..

Profile photo of

I had a few unknown loose wires going to the dash, turns out two were interconnections to other parts of the car and one was the seat belt switch, all good and sorted, didn’t want to go any further till I knew what they were.

Also sorted out my wheel speed sensor wires, stock the VZ mounts the ABS under the bonnet on the drivers side, one front cable is about 300mm long the other snakes around the front to the left side.

The ABS is now behind the driver’s seat, I measured it out and the left cable is easily long enough, I dug into the old loom I was using to trace the mystery wires in the dash and liberated it’s left cable, it’s now the new right cable!

The rears are easily long enough to do the job no matter how I route them, I was a bit surprised when the cables turned out to be plain wire inside a thick outer sheath, always thought they were shielded coax..

Got the car off the hoist so I can open the doors fully to make routing the wiring harnesses easier, it can stay down while I do the paint as well..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Did I hear you say paint?  Colour, scheme?

Profile photo of

LoL, nothing special, just going to paint the bumpers and the wheel arches, drivers sill the stock colour, I’ll do the bonnet Satin black.

Profile photo of

Sorted out the rear wheel speed sensor wiring, went down and deleted the unneeded cable, also went through all my Deutsche connectors and sorted them into pairs.

Still planning it out in my head before I start chopping the harness up, only want to do this the once. Pppppp..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, measure twice, cut once :)

Profile photo of

Yep, measure twice, cut once

<fingers crossed>

I’m fairly sure I have my head wrapped around it now, like just about everything I do there will be one way that it’ll all fit and go together just want to be “sure” before I commit as I don’t have a spare Harness..

Profile photo of

Had to cut another hole in the firewall utilised an existing small hole I was going to have to patch as the 20mm pilot hole, the new improved porta power/ hole punch worked perfectly! Once that was done I mocked up the main harness to see what I was up against.

Put the ABS pump in place then ratted the correct wires from an old junk harness to make the extension, did the same for the DBW, that’ll do for today, only so much I can stand per day..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Neat as usual IJ, looking great.

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary!

—————–

That’s me done for the day, BCM, ECM and both Fuse panels mounted out of the way.

Can start Wiring Hell tomorrow!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>not doing hidden wiring?</p>

Profile photo of

Nah not on a race car, you want everything easily accessible just in case.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,201 through 1,220 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.