This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,181 through 1,200 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thanks, I try!

—————–

Went down and added an extra bolt to each door trim to pull the front edge in better as it was bothering me.. when I built them I did a bit of a cheat with the bead roller..

The door handles are recessed and if I used a flat panel there would have been a 40mm gap which would require a filler so it didn’t look like arse, I rolled the beads but didn’t bend the sheet flat again, this bows the middle in.

But by doing this the panel hits the window motors so the front edge sits out till it’s bolted down, extra bolt and it’s good enough, “Because RaceCar”.

I sanded primed and painted the Wing supports then sanded back the repairs on the wing and epoxied the end plates on, had to shoot into town as I was out of PrepSol, came back blew some clear on the wing, probably a good idea being China Carbon it may not be UV stabilised..

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi Ian do you have to get the cage and other stuff tech inspected for racing , and is the bolt in cage all good

Profile photo of

No, in the class I race in there’s no real inspection process, the original cage is CAMS approved so does pass in the classes where tech is needed, I’ve added to it as it was lacking in a few areas..

Profile photo of

Wing is done!

Very happy with the results.

Off to Melbourne to get a special grommet I need for the wiring.

Profile photo of

One step forward one back and one forward again, I had the Grommet locations in mind and need a 60mm hole for each, I’d left the factory 48mm hole on the drivers side thinking I could get one to fit… Bzzz wrong.

There isn’t enough room to get a hole Saw in to open it up but I have the perfect tool, my hydraulic hole punch, again bzzzz the pump has died, the Chinese can’t make anything that has oil or bearings..

Plan B, my porta power has a big pump, but of course all the fittings are totally different, searched through everything here nuh, nothing close so a trip to Pirtek in Bendigo was on the cards, did a bit of housework I’d been putting off then used the Tonner in tractor mode to pull out a small tree and was off..

On the off chance that the adaptor I needed actually exists I described what I needed but nuh no joy, so I bought a tube nut with the right thread for one side and a dowty washer to seal the other side, came home after visiting mates drilled and tapped it, took like 5 minutes and I was into it!

Worked perfectly even on the existing hole, I’m moving all of the electricals inside so one side will just have the engine harness coming in the other will have the fan and lights wiring going out.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Improvise, adapt, overcome!!

Profile photo of

Couldn’t bring myself to buy another pump as it’d probably be from the same batch and fail in days…

Profile photo of

Bolted the front half of the cage back in so I can make a start on Wiring Hell as I need to work out some mounts for various things..

Laid out the main harnesses and connected them as Holden did it so I can figure out how they did it, what I changed in the Lexcen and what I need to change now.

Don’t know how Justin does this for a living, my brain is fried already, I’ll just tackle it in small sections it’s not like there’s a rush to finish it this week..

Profile photo of

One small detail, the 26 year old badges look like arse, with the E36 being a bit of a German HQ Holden (millions made) genuine stuff is surprisingly cheap!

Profile photo of

Damn it’s cold here, seeing as my Splitter arrival is imminent I bolted the front bumper back on so I can mount it, then I can start painting, another small but nessicary job is the switches for the brake pedal, one is for the stop lights the other for the cruise control cancel…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Cruise control…… really?

Profile photo of

Yeah really, had it on the Lexcen no reason not to do it again!

———————————-

Did one last check on the tracking after dinner, whoo hoo it arrived, quick call to the post office to let them know I was on my way in.

It’s not as substantial as I expected but I’ve been looking at a lot of Time Attack stuff recently, it’ll be perfect for what I want and if needs be I can add Canards, the other bonus is NOT having to build more structure into the front of the car to support it.

This is the last big ticket item for this build, I’m good to go now!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice, really getting there now.  Cruise control, lol…

Profile photo of

Cruise Control, ABS, Traction Control… all the RaceCars have this no?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, must have missed that memo!

Profile photo of

Splitters done, had a minor screw up, I measured and drilled the mounting holes only to find the add-on fibreglass lip is pretty much solid, had to drill another row 25mm back…added extra bolts per a suggestion made by Max ..

When I first looked at the splitter I thought it was just one piece of solid carbon as it’s so thin, turns out it’s a composite with a thin foam core!

Also mounted the new side molds I made the other week after sanding the clear on the car back and carefully masking it up so I could blow some paint on as the molds stock are 30mm wide and I could only get 25mm aluminium, ended up using 25mm double sided mounting tape.

Profile photo of Micks
    Micks
    Participant

IJ, this is really coming together nicely, once you blow some paint everywhere will look very Pro.  :cool

Profile photo of

Thanks Mick, I’m happy with the progress, it really suffered project bloat and I’ve done so much more than I originally had planned..

To-Do list is almost done!

Front Axle circlips

Wiring

Paint

Windscreens

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not sure about project bloat. Can’t see too much you have done that’s not making it faster or stronger?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

Yeah it’s all for the better just been a BIG  project..

Viewing 20 posts - 1,181 through 1,200 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.