This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,141 through 1,160 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Nice. Plus if you squint a bit and look through one eye. You can read the name on the chair. It says “the WTF seat” But name it what you want. Put my name on the list for a ride.

The “Nope” Seat..

How did you weld that IJ? I am looking at a MIG spool gun, or is that TIG?

Used the TIG Gary, it’s none too pretty and I’m sure many internet welding experts would look down on it but it’s solid, in all my years I’ve never had a weld fail!

Spool guns can be touch and go, look into a Teflon liner and buy a small spool of wire that fits your machine then see if you find the weld quality acceptable before you lash out on the Gun.. might save some cash to put towards a TIG.. There are some nice cheap machines around now, my Kemppi was like 6K worth a couple of decades ago..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks IJ, yea I am kicking myself a little, back when I bought my TIG I didn’t have the $$ to go for one that would do Ally.  I don’t 3want a third welder…  A mate runs an aluminium boat business and swears by them, might do some research.  Another thing I need I think is a foot pedal for my TIG, do you have one or is on the torch?

Profile photo of

Could sell the existing Tig, I got mine with the Control on the Torch and hated it, lashed out for the genuine pedal and found it doesn’t work with my machine..

Returned it and found a place in England that makes their own, they shipped it here for less than half of the Kemppi pedal, love it, so much easier than on the torch.

Profile photo of

Scare Chair mounted, I moved it closer to the centre and angled it a touch to give a bit more headroom for taller people… will see how it goes I guess..

Has to be easily removed as the battery lives underneath.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Could sell the existing Tig, I got mine with the Control on the Torch and hated it, lashed out for the genuine pedal and found it doesn’t work with my machine.. Returned it and found a place in England that makes their own, they shipped it here for less than half of the Kemppi pedal, love it, so much easier than on the torch.

Excellent mate, I have seen them and thought they would be bettre, but hadnt spoken to anyone who has done both.  I just find its too hard if you are on a weird angle, where the pedal would make it so much easier.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Seat mounting is neat as mate.

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, still need to do the harness mounts and a back brace for both seats back to the cage..

Profile photo of

Scare Chair and harness done just have to make the back brace to the cage for both seats and I can move onto the next bit.. (this brace would have prevented 80% of my injuries in the Z car crash)..

Profile photo of

That’ll do for today, hopefully these will prevent this if I have the misfortune to back it in again, I’ll glue some thick foam to them so they don’t clunk and gouge up the backs of the seats..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Did you go in backwards?

Profile photo of

Yep….

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s what ended Matt’s FF career. Backed it in at Sandown at 180. Broke the car in half. He was eventually ok. But rebuild broke the bank. At least you know how to try and protect yourself from that sort of impact. Hopefully it never comes into play. Smart taking it into consideration though.

Profile photo of

The sad part was I had a brace planned for the Z to the point the material was there to build it… just hadn’t got around to it..

Profile photo of

Didn’t surface till after 10:30 this morning, was looking like another CBF’d day… Got my arse into gear and went down and ticked off 3 items from the to-do list..

First was to put a couple of resistors into the Fuel sender wiring to mimic a full tank, I can’t run a sender with the tank foam and if I leave it unplugged I’ll get the annoying fuel chime and warnings on the dash..

Second was to add a brace to the switch and gauge panel as I could see it being a pita for autocross as it’d wobble around and be a distraction..

Third seeing as it now has a Scare Chair it really needs a false floor/ footrest so it doesn’t melt passengers shoes again..

Profile photo of Edelbrock1
    Edelbrock1
    Participant

How much heat are you expecting?  Wouldnt have thought any one would be in there long enough to be effected by any heat.

Profile photo of

As I said, hot enough to melt runners… not so much during the lap more in the staging lanes waiting on the next one..

Profile photo of

Repaired the transit damage in my wing, just need to give the resin a week or so to go off then I can sand and polish it and it should be good..

Got my strut brace roughed in, I’m adding a couple of diagonal struts towards the front of the tower but will wait till I drop the engine out.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You forgot to add the most important thing you made today. Lol

Profile photo of

Lmao!

Profile photo of

I was going to buy new material for the Skid Plate, went down and measured it up this morning and managed to reuse the Plate from the Lexcen with a bit of a trim!

Viewing 20 posts - 1,141 through 1,160 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.