This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,041 through 1,060 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Love the improvisation with the scissor lift tables, improvise, adapt, overcome…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

They make life easier, keep in mind the engine and trans are in it…

Profile photo of

After I finished the wing install there was still a lot of flex in the boot lid, I put it down to how light BMW built these cars but on further investigation I found the boot lock had almost cracked right through the sheet metal..

Made a patch panel/doubler and it’s all good, PITA moment though when I closed it and the button rod had popped out, had to wriggle inside with a Long extension and unbolt the striker to get it open… DOH

Another OCD moment was looking at the gap between the boot lid and wing I could see it having a LOT of drag, took the lead from the Supercars Mustang, they run a small wickerbill on the boot lid, found a moulded rubber one on eBay, all good now.

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

Good progress and work IJ, self isolation would not stop it :good:

Just curious with the wing, without wind tunnel testing, how do you know it works with size, heights, angles. Is it just putting any wing will help traction than without 1.

Profile photo of

Thanks Vin, mostly guess work based on experience, the wing on the Lexcen made a huge difference, any downforce is going to be better than the lift a sedan/coupe usually generate, then it’s just a matter of trying to balance it front to rear to get the handling traits desired..

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

Great thanks IJ, I am just improving my knowledge base and yes experience and feel for your car handling is a good teacher with high speed as I have noticed when driving on freeways.

Profile photo of

Common knowledge was Aero doesn’t have much effect under 120kph, don’t know if the perceived effect is greater as most of my racing is on dirt but even down to 60kph you can feel a difference..

Of course the effect will be greater as speed increases but as I said earlier it’s more car balance, you can use the aero to trim that really easily.

The Lexcen had so many fundamental issues it was all bandaids,i be nice to start again with the BMW being a clean sheet design, I’ve also changed how the chassis will react under power to enhance front grip.

Thanks for the question, there’s a reason for everything I do on this project it’s nice being able to chat about it.

Profile photo of

Starting to wonder if the Chinese are capable of actually making something as precise as a virus, they can’t make a fibreglass bumper that’s even close to being a bolt on fit…

Enough for today my backs sore..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks big, but i am guessing that’s just because its unpainted etc.

Profile photo of

Might fit an E46 better, quite a bit too wide for the 36, I’ll see if I can spread the guards and nose piece a bit then when the bumper mounts are done I’ll squeeze it in to suit..

I still have to make the splitter for the Tarmac setup so no drama cutting it if I need to..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea looks like if you took a 50/75mm cut out of the middle and joined it would look good.

Profile photo of

Think that’s more the camera angle and using a phone camera Gary, the ends are probably 25 to 30mm too wide so I think stretching the guards and squeezing the ends should do it..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool, it is a race car not a beauty queen anyways…

Profile photo of

I was going to have to trim the ends anyway for tyre clearance and there will be a few additions added to each front bumper so no biggy..

Profile photo of

This update will be a bit dark, this past week I’ve had a bad case of “why bother” with pretty much everything, my brain has taken me to a bad place as I know if I contract 19 it’ll kill me due to the lung damage from my accident..

I hold hope that the science types will find a cure to this shit so can wait a bit, the other glimmer would be if by chance I’d be one of the people that are Asymptomatic, in that case I’d do my utmost to stay away from people..

Not sure if this is just me or if anyone else has these thoughts, I’ve accepted that I’ll go one day just thought it would be my own stupidity that ended me, I’ve had 28 years of bonus time so can’t complain at all.

On the Car front my Tow hooks finally arrived, subdued whoo hoo…

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hang in there Ian just do what you do, keep away from people and stay safe, we here in NZ are locked down for a minimum of 4 weeks, I am really surprise that the Australian government has not done the same thing

Profile photo of

I have 0 faith in our Government Frazer, they’re constantly sending mixed messages so people are treating this like a joke, the single worst thing they did was to tell people that the young are in a low risk group, most kids already give 0 fucks about older people…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Chin up IJ, your accident proves you are a tough nugget mate, you will be OK.  As Fraser says just do the sensible things!!

Profile photo of

All it takes though is one tard not to do the sensible thing, ie someone infected to sneeze on a grocery item and I’m gone, but of a shitty way to live at the moment…

As I said above its all a big joke to a lot of the younger generation, give 19 a few mutations and I guarantee it won’t be so funny then..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I think maybe we are being a bit more responsible here in S.A IJ. Both my kids have decided to basically self isolate for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Our numbers seem pretty good relatively.</p>

Viewing 20 posts - 1,041 through 1,060 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.