This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Because the Sump has ears I couldn’t drill and tap it from the bottom so I made a quick dirty fixture to hold it, success disaster averted, engine buttoned up again.

I then shortened the Trans dipstick by 120mm and made the new sway bar lower link mounts.e is

Profile photo of

Did a couple of small welding jobs on the 36 then fitted up my new Rack ends, pressed in some new Lower Balljoints as both the boots were trashed from the Lexcen’s funky rear geometry..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

hardly “race ready” glad it happened here. 

Understatement of the year, wow, that could have been ugly at full noise.

Profile photo of

Yep, 10 litres of oil under the tyres and a seized engine…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well at least it wouldn’t have been boring…

Profile photo of

All they had to do was tack the body of the fitting to the rail and it would’ve been fine…

Profile photo of

Went down and did a bit more, sorted the Fuel tank vent hose as the factory tunnel it ran through had been replaced by a Shock Tower..

Bolted the engine back in so I can sort the PCV hose and the Radiator hoses, top hose is simple, just made a coupler and will add a straight piece to connect to a factory hose, lower hose is going to be a bit of a pita, I have some aluminium bends coming and will make a hardpipe.

Profile photo of

Diff day, need some material to make it happen so waiting on a call back, possible Melbourne trip…

Profile photo of

And Home, successful mission and collected some parcels from the Post Office!

I needed a piece of Phosphor bronze bar to make a sleeve for one end of the Diff where the stub axle inserts, I had bought a piece 20+ years back to make a pilot bush for the Supra..

Actually remembered where it was but of course it’s 1mm too small on the OD… My old supplier no longer stocks it but put me onto someone that does, great people to deal with so that’s sorted.

New Arrivals, I agree with CAMS decision on the HANS devices so did the upgrade, my last helmet was Black because that’s all they had in stock… Damn hot in 40+ at Swan Hill, never having owned or worn a Hans are the teathers meant to be this long?

My BIG bead roller is a bit useless for anything under 2.5″ so bought a Mini version to make my radiator hardpipes, as mentioned the other day I couldn’t find mandrel bends in the Holden 35mm so got some in 32mm, the plan being to Expand the ends to 35mm….

BZZZZ my expander won’t go small enough to get inside the pipe… DOH, thought about machining up some ends to weld to the pipes, extra place to fail, did a bead then did a test fit, works fine and is actually the same dimensions as the coupler I made the other day…

Profile photo of

Diff conversion done, I had to machine 22mm off that end then bore out and sleeve it to suit the stub axles, also had to machine some countersunk capscrews for case clearence, I need to shim one of the bearings 15thou so off to Bendigo to get some shim stock…

Profile photo of

And Home, gonna be the most expensive shims ever… Had to buy a whole can of 5 thou brass, so will cut 3x, collected a couple more parcels, everyone loves Big Black Flaps right.. also bought some stone guard as the stock plastic guard liners no longer fit with the flares so I’ll stone guard the inside of the guards to minimise rock damage..

Profile photo of

Finished up the Diff, it’s very tight setup per the factory, I noticed the side bearings were a bit Blue when I pulled it down, this was a brand new one that’s done 3 events, might pull it down and remove a shim or two..

Went into town to collect a bunch of parcels, I ordered a set of Rally Retreads for the SCoupe as the tyres that are on it have 0 grip and most leak, I’ll take it to Swan Hill next month for a run.., also ordered a new Hans compatible 6 point Harness for the 36.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sweet as mate, we are racing at the Nats this weekend, if I remember will ask Matt how he had his hans set up done, but I agree it’s the one thing you shouldn’t skimp on, you only get one head!!

Profile photo of

Yeah I figure there’s a good chance the 36 will be quicker so there’s more consequence if I get it wrong… thanks looking forward to hearing Matt’s views never having owned one before.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I spoke to Matt and he said they aren’t adjustable.  I am guessing you know this but they (system not straps) are made in different angles for open wheeler vs sedan etc.  But yes they are long.  He sent me this link to the Hans website where it says this in FAQ

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

Thanks Gary!

—————–

Long day was long, had a fiddle with the 36 while I was waiting on deliveries, sorted the top radiator hose using stock bits, I’ll make the lower hardpipe so it uses the ends of a stock hose, just waiting on the new waterneck to arrive.

Flushed out the Hyundai cooling system then stripped off my SSV wheels as my new tyres were coming, gave them a good clean and removed 10 years of weight tape remains.

Went and collected my stuff from the Post Office, interesting I didn’t know IKEA did radiators, new tyres have ALL the grooves, should be good in the wet, Tonner is legit again, been running the semi slicks since last year.

Not rated for towing, not sure if it’s a compound thing or the towing but the Hankooks on the front are unworn, the Federals on the rear are about half gone..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Bout time you got tires lol

Profile photo of

LoL yeah, priorities though, so much shit to buy for the 36 and the semi slicks were doing ok till I had to tow stuff..

Profile photo of

And Home, well that was an exercise in frustration, decided I need a bigger front bar for Tarmac so dropped my small one in to have copied, their steel order is on the dock stuck in the Corona backlog..

Ok went and visited some of my old suspension suppliers to see if I could get some off the rack inserts to go in the China Coilovers, Bilstein BZZZ nuh, dropped by my Koni guys, ummed and ahhed, the guy I needed was at lunch so I hit Macca’s..

Come back and there’s not really anything close, they suggest a trip out to Smooth Suspension (I had planned to go anyway) had a chat with Wayne he suggested a set that are still too long so I was going to have to cutNshut housings.. ok pay for em and head back to Koni..

BZZZ look at the box they’re NOT externally adjustable so you have to pull them each time to make a change… REFUND, talk with one of the Koni guys and the suggestions start, the price adds up rapidly, 5k in shocks just isn’t happening..

I’ll grab another pair as spares and see how they go, can buy a LOT of China Coilovers for 5k…

Collected a couple more parcels, one is an area that was going to get corner cut hard, bonnet vents, I was either going to make some or punch holes again like I did on the Lexcen..

These guys in the USA make them and have huge amounts of supporting data from wind tunnel testing, why reinvent the wheel as they have an E36 specific set, only went with the side vents as I run the roof scoop and don’t want it sucking in hot air..

Profile photo of

IKEA radiator fitted and fully functional, I’d thought about fitting my spare race seat and harness but being a hatchback there’s nothing to mount the harness to so that would mean a half cage, not sure I’m ready to commit to that so just gutted all the Burny stuff from the interior..

Ready to go for next weekend just waiting on a windscreen banner to arrive and chuck my race numbers on then good to go!

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.