This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Another “issue” with the AWD system I use is it’s out of a Big Pimptastic Cadillac Escalade, they’re high off the ground so mounted normally they hang down heaps and being in the middle of the car it’s the lowest point.

The first tarmac event I did I broke a case on the trailer loading up so it’s always been a problem, the E36 will be LOW so something needed to be done..

As I made the adaptor plate between the TH350 and the transfer case I decided to reclock the case more towards horizontal, in the past this wasn’t possible with the diff mounted so low..

The case pattern is a bit unique and not 6x 60 degrees and of course the gasket was trashed on removal so had to make a new one..

Last pic shows the rotation, the two top bolts used to be horizontal, picked up heaps of ground clearance doing this so well worth the effort!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, great you are able to “address” issues you struck with the Lexcan.

Profile photo of

Thanks, yep there were a few of em, that was part of what made a clean sheet more attractive instead of reworking the Lexcen, the E36 is just a far better starting point due to the minimal front overhang and fuel tank location!

Profile photo of

Spent the morning making a jig for the steering rack, I’m happy that BMW know a thing or two about handling so want to put it back in the same place.

This becomes difficult as the stock subframe it mounts to has to go because of the front diff, the jig holds it in space and will allow me to build the new front subframe around it.

The pic shows the rough orientation of the diff and engine, I also debracketed the engine bay so about a kg of useless is now in the bin!

Profile photo of

Braced up the a pillars before the chainsaw massacre to prevent it folding up, don’t think it’s in any danger as long as it’s just a shell, I’ll add structure before adding any loads..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If you were smart you would of rotated the transfer another 90degrees and just sat on that when driving.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

^^ LOL, but yes, he’s gonna be sitting behind the B pillar ….

Profile photo of

If you were smart you would of rotated the transfer another 90degrees and just sat on that when driving.

The the Diff would be all wrong  ;-)

^^ LOL, but yes, he’s gonna be sitting behind the B pillar ….

It’s deceptive there’s more room than it appears to have!

————————————

Had a brainwave.. I have a stock set of VZ headers there… Bzzzzz wrong, won’t even go between the rails…

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Dam That’s one way of getting a engine and trans in to fit

Profile photo of

“Because RaceCar” 😎

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

What the plan with the tunnel IJ.  Maybe slice the original down the middle and put a strip in it, or is it a whole new fab job?  Looks awesome btw, and agree by the photos looks like you will need to be super model thin to fit in it…

Profile photo of

I have some 50x25x1.6mm tube here, I’m going to build a monocoqueish backbone then sheet it in Aluminium so I can have some access panels.

————————–

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with the scope of the project…

Back to basics and attack it one part at a time, due to the front diff moving I had to relocate the alternator which in turn means there’s no room for the power steering pump..

I’ll run an Astra electric pump, I was going to reuse the factory cast alternator mount but it requires slotting a hole 6mm, as I run the Blower there’s a bit of load so I decided to make a new mount from 6061t6.

Got it done and chucked a way too long belt on to check length, wrap and alignment, dug through my belt rack and whoo hoo I have a new GatorBack there that fits so today was a win!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Would you need power steering in a car that light which a balanced setup?

Profile photo of

Yeah with the big tyres and the 2:1 steering quickener on it it’ll be fairly heavy still, a mate has an adjustable Barina powered column at a good price so I’ll give that a go.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate.  Not surprised you are a little overwhelmed with the task. But it’s going to be a weapon. Take your time.

Profile photo of

It’s suffering a little from project bloat…

This happens every time I build something I get a bit ADD and change spec..

And yeah it’ll get there just need to break it down into manageable sections.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, again not surprising you are getting a bit of scope creep.  Especially when you have the fab skills to do it.

Profile photo of

LOL but I had a plan….  :unsure:

—————————————

Following on from a FB discussion this morning where a Mate pointed out the Epas units have plastic gears that can fail and Jam I came up with an alternative using a BMW Pump,  I had intended NOT going down to the Shed today….

Couldn’t resist a quick proof of concept check..

I’ll sleep much better tonight, great belt wrap and the pump will go up a bit higher as it’s just hanging on the belt for the pic.

While I was down there I measured up the Turbo headers as they were clearly listed as “1 3/4 in the eBay ad..

Thought this whole time they looked bigger, actually “1 7/8, this is a good thing as my last set I made were that size, no fuss now about chopping up both pairs to make one set that fits  :yes:

Profile photo of

Been down the shed “pondering” for the last couple of hours… I think I have a plan of attack but it requires removing more structure to make work which in turn means adding more in to compensate… “Because RaceCar” ..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Should have just made a full chassis car and raced sports sedan ha ha.  All good mate, “transferring” all the driveline from a largish VR 4 door to a smaller 2 door coupe was always going to involve “developments”.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.