This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

It’s a bolt in, I’m reusing the cage from the Lexcen so need to rework all of the connections which means tacking it in place then pulling it out to finish weld..

Probably would have been faster/easier to buy a new one to suit the BMW but it’s $2500 I don’t really have..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate you work so fast if I am off the forum for a few days and you have powered a long.  Those headers have to be the bargain of the century for $200.  I agree it looks tough as with the flares, and the cage is coming along really well.  Keep up the good work fine sir.

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, sort of hanging to get this one finished…  B-)

——————————

Door bars, roof bar and front bars done, I’ve had to rework every joint so far, I’ll do the rear bars tomorrow, that’s enough for today, really don’t want a repeat of Tuesdays Kokoda death March, this is meant to be fun..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Are there any regs as to who can work on, and what can be done to a roll cage IJ?  Or does it depend on where and what you are competing in?  Looking super neat btw.

Profile photo of

I’m sure there are regs for national type events, most of the stuff I do there’s no requirement for a cage at all …

Profile photo of

Done, it’s not pretty but my stuff rarely is, had a slight mishap when I pulled it out to do the finish welding… Yank on one of the bars and it came out all of a sudden hit the windscreen and broke it… DOH..

Profile photo of

Gave the big engine a quick tub up.

Profile photo of

Stripped the harnesses and hoses ready for test fitting.

Profile photo of

Successful trip, figured I’d prepare just in case I need to dispose of an economy size hooker…

Asked for a cardboard box, that’s what they provided to bring the glass bumpers home in, found these on eBay at a price I couldn’t pass up..

I’ll keep running the plastic front bar for autocross, my low profile trans sump arrived along with a pickup tube reinforcement plate for the engine.

In the LS series of engines even though there are two holes to bolt the pickup in only one hole is used, I’m guessing the bean counters are responsible..

Awhile back one of the big shops designed and made these plates but we’re charging quite a bit for a simple part, I’d considered writing some code for the CNC and making my own then forgot, found these on eBay, Chinese copies at a price I can’t get the material for…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Do you think that plates needed?  I looked at it and it seemd like overkill?  I guess in autocross.

Profile photo of

Been running my engine without one for 9 years now so nah it isn’t “needed” it’s just a nice Chi Chi  to add while I have the Sump off  B-)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I brought one from warspeed for $30. Also looking into a billet barbell your the rear oil gallery.

Profile photo of

$10.99 shipped with bolts  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I brought one from warspeed for $30. Also looking into a billet barbell your the rear oil gallery.

Looked at them too, sort of again I think are a bit of overkill.  Which I will freely admit is a little ironic coming from me….

Profile photo of

Can be lucky sometimes..

Started “lowering” the big engine, pulled the sump and pickup off only to find the o-ring had been pinched… DOH

Installed the new pickup sump and Reo plate, of course NONE of this was bolt on and needed some massaging to fit properly..

Drilled and tapped the new Trans sump for the temp sender fitted a new low filter and bolted it on, the Transfer case is now the lowest point but I have a plan for that!

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

A bit of luck never hurts.

All going well I normally have no luck because when I do get some luck, it’s bad luck (although my bad luck at work is generally due to someone else’s laziness) :(

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Do you think that plates needed? I looked at it and it seemd like overkill? I guess in autocross.

Fuck I’m lost what plates are you guys talking about :unsure:   :unsure:

Profile photo of

In the plastic bag on the trans Sump, it’s a reinforcement plate so you use 2 bolts instead of 1 for the Oil pickup, this prevents it cocking on installation and pinching the o-ring…

Profile photo of

A bit of luck never hurts. All going well I normally have no luck because when I do get some luck, it’s bad luck (although my bad luck at work is generally due to someone else’s laziness) :(

pet hate…  :evil:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

In the plastic bag on the trans Sump, it’s a reinforcement plate so you use 2 bolts instead of 1 for the Oil pickup, this prevents it cocking on installation and pinching the o-ring…

Right got it now :facepalm:

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.