This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Off to Melbourne to have the headers ceramic coated and the driveshafts balanced..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Birdcage Maserati….

Profile photo of

LOL

——————————————–

And home, I don’t know how people cope with Melbourne peak hour traffic, 25 minutes to do 5km and I was losing the will to live…

On a + note the “Goldilocks” trans sump arrived, first one was too deep second one too shallow this one is just right!

Profile photo of

Removed the front cage sections and cut out the temporary bracing and dressed up where I’d welded it in.

Profile photo of

After a question from my Nephew about adding structure back into the tunnel I had a rethink, as designed with the wire frame it was going to be difficult to add the needed structure as well as skinning it was shaping up to be a nightmare…

So plan b was hatched, using the wire frame as the minimum clearance I can aim for I decided to make a 25x25x1.6mm tube frame, this cuts down a LOT of the angles and simplifies the entire process, it did however mean yet another trip to Bendigo for material..

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

A different set of eyes never hurt for ideas and this one paned out nice work Ian and nephew

Profile photo of

I had intended boxing in the upper corners but this is much better/easier to do it this way!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, a guy I worked for used to say “nobody has a mandate on good ideas”  And at least the wireframe as you say is setting the broad minimum envelope. Nice work.

Profile photo of

Only thing I miss about living here is no one really to bounce ideas off, always been a big help in the past…

———————————

Really NOT enjoying this part of the build, my brain damage is partly to blame, it’s forgotten that .6mm wire is totally useless for vertical or overhead so I spent a lot of time laying turds..

One of which ended up in my short glove burning the crap out of my hand, so long day with not much progress…

Almost out of gas on both welders so will keep going tomorrow till they stop the get refills on Tuesday.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Some jobs are just tedious…  Does the car get most of its chassis strength through the roll cage IJ, or will this help as well?

Profile photo of

This will help immensely Gary, the shell is a tin can and without going a full race spec cage this is the only way I could see to stiffen it back up..

My gas supplier was open today so I’m good to go again!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s surprising how much stiffer the cage makes the car.

Profile photo of

I don’t think the Lexcen would have been driveable too long without the cage or the internal bracing I built into it…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Have you considered maybe less notching in the shapes of the tunnel and more straight triangulation if that makes sense?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

That’s exactly what I’m doing with it, I’ll make it in as few pieces as possible and each flat section will go through the bead roller in some form.

I think it’ll end up hugely strong and coupled with the bolt in cage should easily make it stiff enough for my purposes.  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool, I mean I have never built a race car in my life, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt!!

Profile photo of

Any and all input is appreciated, I may not follow it verbatim but it often leads me off on a good tangent, I had a mate over yesterday morning to pick up some parts and discuss a bunch of aspects of the build!

———————————–

And that’s enough for today, I’m replacing the .8 sheet metal with 1.2mm, should be more than strong enough, rosette welds along the top surface and stitch welds underneath.

Profile photo of

Another day another section done!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looking good mate, looks like a fiddly part of the build!!

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, yeah it’s not a whole bunch of fun but has to be done, I procrastinated it long enough… ran short on material so took a CBF’d day today!

————————————-

And home, bit of a typical shit day, Bendigo leg went ok, got to the driveshaft shop and the really expensive bit of tube I used in the front shaft wasn’t being helpful, took a LOT to get straight and balanced, one bonus is I got to hang around and observe the entire process!

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.