HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineAstra Electric Steering Pump

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WHIPPT355
    WHIPPT355
    Participant

Gday I’m wondering if any of you folks have fitted the Astra power steering pump to your vn-vs commodore?
    Obviously being a very strait forward mod to make I’m presuming there’s lots out there that have?
    I’m curious to know where you mounted it and also what the steering feel is like?
    Iv been told in the later models it makes the steering slightly heavier which to me is appealing as mine is way to soft!
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

There is a full how to thread on another forum to install one in VT-VZ LS1’s but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to figure it out for VN-VS’s

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Used one in an LE Monaro I built last year, works fine wouldn’t know it was there other than the initial spool up and when it spools down on shutdown.

WHIPPT355
    Participant

There is a full how to thread on another forum to install one in VT-VZ LS1’s but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to figure it out for VN-VS’s

Yeah Iv seen that one. Fitting it’s simple it’s fitting it and regretting the feel I’m worried about. I’m going to have to do it and report back haha

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m interested too.  I have one I got off IJ months back but just haven’t got around to doing it.

no probs with linking to other forums on here btw, no issues on this site  :good:

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

I’d like to know too for as it’s damn  good idea….astra pump be better other option manual vl rack

Though of a few places like near wiper motor or for stealth front bar under headlight.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

I had a mr2 electric power steering pump was going to put in my old vk, I had a resovior and braket made for it and fittings was going to put under rear guard were fuel filler was ,but when the assholes stole the car they ransack the shed as well and took the pump so never got to try but I am going to try this on the vh :yahoo:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer. Reason: spelling
    Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Good write up Renno. But his keen using 100series hose on the pressure side of a power steering system.

WHIPPT355
    Participant

Thanks guys appreciate your replies.. Iv got power cruise coming up in a few weeks here in wa and after that I’ll try get it in and let you all know how I go

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea def need to go 200 series on the pressure side, found that out the hard way….

Actually if I did my car again I would use 200 everywhere, rated to much higher pressure, impervious to E85 etc, and most importunately the fittings are way easier to assemble.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Good write up Renno. But his keen using 100series hose on the pressure side of a power steering system.

Be interested to see if the 100 series held up to the pressure, especially holding full lock in a drift.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Be interested to see if the 100 series held up to the pressure, especially holding full lock in a drift.

exactly. Full noise. Full lock.

Imagine a hose let go.

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

exactly. Full noise. Full lock. Imagine a hose let go.

All because someone was too cheap / didn’t know what they were doing lol.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’d personally just go manual steering.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.