HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VS91 VN SS Alpine White Manual Pwr Pack (Pic Heavy)

This topic contains 121 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Been away for awhile…  :unsure:

I’ll try and do a ‘Big’ update tonight on everything ive been up to with the car over the last 8 months  :good:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Fixed up the Old Lazy LSD in her, Nice and Tight Now!  ;-)

Went down to Sydney for the Performance Inc. Christmas party and stayed with a mate who has Not 1, But 2! VS GTS’s. Both 6 Speed’s one standard one ripped off its head 355!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

So much awesome all in one place!

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Put a new Clutch in and found that when it was converted by previous owners they didn’t bother to put a spigot bearing in??? :wacko:  Also threw some Whiteline adjustable upper control arms in.

After a very long draw out process I also got 3m of VN SS Trim  :yahoo:

Picked up a VT Roller Motor standard bore for $300 plans for that later on…  B-)

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Im pretty sure i have seen those on the street commodores forum didnt he have ve gts wheels on one of them? Nice rigs the both of them. :good:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Back down in Sydney for a Cruise out to Katoomba with a few 5ltr Blokes. Was a good weekend with some nice cars  :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

trim   :negative:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Now back to that VT Motor, Plan is to build a 383 Stroker! Not out to break records, want to still be able to jump in it and drive it without a worry and not really fussed on what power it makes just want heaps of Torque!!!

This my first time building a motor so if there is any thing I missed or Suggestions please don’t hesitate.

Parts List so far:

C.O.M.E. 383 Premium Kit, CamTech Hydraulic Roller 290/237 .587″ 110 , T/P High Rise Dual Plane Manifold, Aeroflow 1375cfm T/B, Cam Bearings, CamTech Double Springs, retainers, locks, Morel Tie Bar Lifters, Y/T Pro Street 1.65 Roller Rockers, Cloyes True Roller D/R Timing Set, P/B Race H/B, ASR Street Comp Sump. Will probably get TK  to do the Head work and also modded stock oil pump.

What I’m unsure about is the Fuel and Ignition side?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What’s the budget?

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Isn’t one really, Going to do it once so whatever It needs ill just chip away at it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

what power your hoping for.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Don’t care about Power, just Torque!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Torque comes with power…

Profile photo of

2 sides of the same coin…

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^not this chestnut again.  I agree peak power and peak torque are two sides of the same coin.  So if all you are interested in is racing or impressing your mates at the pub with a number then great otherwise its just one part of the picture.  Are you really saying that my car with 600hp/600 ft lb will drive exactly the same as a 3L turbo Nissan making 600hp/600 ft lb?  Because the fact one makes 80% of peak at 2,000 rpm vs the other that maybe would make half that at 2,000rpm are going to drive very differently on the street. How often does a street car actually spend at redline vs how long at 3,000 rpm?

Answer me this, if torque and power are two sides of the same coin why do all engine dynos and engine builders measure both?

Btw, awesome update, car looks mint :good:

Profile photo of

Dyno’s measure Torque then calculate HP….

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, as someone who runs a mechanical engineering business I kinda get that.  Power and Torque are related but that does not mean they are the same thing, honestly saying they are “two sides of the same coin” really is a bit simplistic (by that I means yes its sort of true, but no its sort of not).

For Cav to say torque comes with power, is sort of inferring two cars that make 600HP have the same torque.  Thats just not even close to being true.  And what I have said above is that even two cars that make the same power and torque still aren’t the same because its how and where that torque is delivered that matters.  Engine builders care about power and torque, why?

I do appreciate its not a clear cut black or white thing, and not wanting to pick an argument btw (kinda my personality too though ;-)   )

Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

….is sort of inferring two cars that make 600HP have the same torque…

If it is at the same RPM then, yes, they both have the same torque  :bye:  (Power = Torque x RPM /5252)

Couldn’t help myself there.

I think you’re talking about area under the curve, which is what defines the driveability in the terms of your argument above. A peaky curve isn’t nearly as good to drive as a tabletop curve.

Profile photo of

Nope and nope, they’re directly related, Torque and power cross around 5400 rpm it’s how Dyno’s work, you’re talking about a totally different thing, “area under the curve” of course a large displacement or blown engine will produce useable power earlier in the rev range than a small one but 600/600 is 600/600 no matter how it’s made.

In the real world having the widest possible power band results in a much easier/nicer car to drive, you can lug it in higher gears and don’t have to downshift as often, downside to the smaller engine making the same power/torque is that it’ll be in a very narrow powerband, and you need to shift gears often to keep it there.

I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing it’s just the way things are.

I stand by my statement power/torque are 2 sides of the same coin.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Hp wins races.

:yes:

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.