HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VS91 VN SS Alpine White Manual Pwr Pack (Pic Heavy)

This topic contains 121 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

I was actually looking at 16″ Walky’s tonight for maxium period correctness :)

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

So ended up buying a set of Walky Rims :) They have a little bit of rash around the outsides so going to clean them up and smooth the centres, then the plan is to have the centres and inside painted Alpine White matched to the car and leave the outer lips polished :)

I have picked the best centre cap sticker and set it off to Stickthis Decals in SA to be reproduced and started polishing the centre caps up on the lathe :)

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Great buy mate!. Cannot go wrong with a mint VN SS.  Love the stock look. Have to do a photo shoot if your ever in town. If the nationals don’t come to Sydney I will put on a meeting to get the 5.0’s together. I have entered in All Holden Day again this year. Its a great day out!

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Great buy mate!. Cannot go wrong with a mint VN SS. Love the stock look. Have to do a photo shoot if your ever in town. If the nationals don’t come to Sydney I will put on a meeting to get the 5.0’s together. I have entered in All Holden Day again this year. Its a great day out!

Thanks Mate and I’m keen to do something in Sydney or would be mint to go to Bathurst! Hopefully the nationals are in NSW next time :)

Profile photo of Nevin
    Nevin
    Participant

Nice car man! Can’t wait to see the new rims on… Should come up a treat.

Nevin

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice car man! Can’t wait to see the new rims on… Should come up a treat.

Thanks Mate :)

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

So typed the Bloke who originally purchased the car’s last name into the whitepages and what do you know he still lives in the same house! So gave him a call and he was very surprised (as you would be, some random ringing you knowing your name and a car you bought 22 years ago) to hear thats its still getting around (he sold it with abit of rust in it,now fixed, was wondering if it ended up at the wreckers). So we had a very long talk over the phone about the car and I could tell that he really loved it and obviously had a lot of memory’s attached to it.

So the story goes he had a HQ Two door Monaro marriage,baby on the way,misses nag nag and Monaro has to go for something more family friendly. So out of spite he said im getting another bloody V8 but this one will have four doors! Looked around and had liked the VN SS’s, VP’s where out by this time but liked the VN’s much more. Went to Dwyers Holden and they were having a Run Out Sale on the VN’s, there was a Apline White, Auto, Power Pack (Built July 1991) VN SS sitting on the floor that apparently someone had ordered in but backed out when the VP’s were released and bought a VP SS instead. So he purchased it for a killer price (I asked if he still had the original purchase receipt but threw it out only a couple of years ago, Bugger!!!) on the 6th of May 1992.

He drove it, serviced it, kept it standard all the way up to 2010, by this time it had a fair bit of rust at the bottom of the rear window and parcel self. He got a quote to fix it proper and it came back at $3,000 so once again misses nag nag, need something more fuel efficient and don’t want to spend that money on an old car. So after owning it for 18 years he traded it in on a new car with only 110,000 kms on the clock.

Talking to him he said he still regrets selling it and never should of done it. And was very happy to hear it got the rust fixed and is still kicking around. He asked if I could send him some photos of what it looks like today and he said “She is looking good, thanks for contacting me hope you enjoy it, its a great car!”

So pretty Chuffed I got to unlock a big piece of History of the car :yahoo: So now just to piece together the last 4 years.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

So with the up and coming AHD (this weekend :eek:) I have been doing a fair amount of work to the SS to get it ready for the drive down there. So far I have replaced Front & Rear Swaybar links, Front wheel bearings, Complete Front lower control arms, Chassis to Radius rod bushes, pulled Gearbox out and re-sealed it and changed the fluid, new water pump, new fan clutch, all new coolant hoses, thermostat, new inlet manifold and extractor gaskets, new fuel tank breather lines (because they were not there at all and if you filled it up over 3/4 full it would piss fuel out everywhere….) and of course oil, air, fuel filter change and oil. Well its a completely different car!!! Heaps more stable on the road, no longing hops & jumps around, alot less body roll and no more knocks coming from the front. Motor idles better and sounds heaps better with no more annoying exhaust leak tick! And it now gets up to running temp and stays there without leaving nice green puddles everywhere.

And I also pulled apart the centre console and remove the shitty aftermarket head unit fitted and replace it with something a bit more period correct (I haven’t been to able find a S2 VN SS Head unit but found a VP SS one and the only difference is the VP has a different print on the cassette flap and it has the Security Light and Code).

The Mess I was expecting, seems who ever had it apart last couldn’t be bothered to put it back together probably and left half the screws out and even left out the passenger side A/C air ducting…. WTF!!!

And such a lovely job they done to wire it up… not

All fixed now! Never to be cut again!

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Well what a weekend!!! Had an absolute blast! Made some Great Friends and became severely sleep deprived for the 72 Hours I had only slept 16 of those…. Drove over 1000km’s and gave BP over $200 Dollars :cool : hahaha But can’t wait to do it all again!!!

Ready to leave for Sydney

Dat Ass!

Not taking any chances with you, you bloody knights supporter :p

And made it to the AHD! Turned out to be a good day! Car didn’t end up getting washed until 5 O’clock that morning at a servo with a quick hose down…. hahaha and then hit with quick detailer when it warmed up and some wax and grease remover Thanks to Lloyd :p Came up alright. ;)

And some Photo’s that came up on FB

Profile photo of Mistikal
    Mistikal
    Participant

Looks mint bud, quite jelly!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Only going to get rarer and rarer in this condition, beautiful :)

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

So the other day I was lucky enough to have the chance to buy my original Grill back :D hahaha the bloke who I bought the car from sold the original grill to a person down the street and then put the SV3800 Fiberglass grill that’s on it now. I was on FB the other day and came across the person selling a White SS grill undamaged with everything intact, so asked if it came off my car and it sure did!

So i’ll get it repainted some time and I’ll have to find a badge so if anyone has a NOS or good conditiion secondhand one let me know :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice score  :good:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

So a few Goodies have been turning up went and checked out the local wreckers and what do you know! $5 Bargin, should clean up all right and i’ll give it a new lick of paint  :yes:

Got this to add to my little collection  :-)

And another turned up today thanks to Cav, A Brand new NOS Manual Gear Surround after agreeing to buy it probably 3 Months ago. (And i’m not exaggerating it was probably longer ;-)  hahaha)

Look No broken clips!  B-)

And just a random Pic from the other night  B-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

just beautiful mate, truly :)

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks Maateee  :good:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Washed her today, so got some quick pics before running out of light  B-)

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Local car show was coming up the other weekend so I thought I would put the old SS in it. I know its nothing special but still support the local show and someone might like it. So I thought why not spend some time cleaning it up and for the whole week leading up to the show I spent a few hours every night after work in the shed working on it.

I Clay Barred (Dodo Juice Gentle Grey), Polished (Meguiars Ultimate Polish), Micro Glazed (Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite) and then finished with a Wax (Dodo Juice Diamond White).

(Toohey’s Old Getting it done!)

Before

After (Probably doesn’t show much with shitty compressed images)

Show was on Sunday morning and one of my mates came home on the Saturday and wanted to go out for a few beers that Night, all good just told him I have to meet everyone at 8:30 the next morning… Nek Minnit wake up at Noon on Sunday! With about 15 missed calls and messages from everyone saying where the fuck are you??? I have no idea how I got home, messages suggest 6 in the Morning! With the last vivid memory from that night doing Bicardi 151 shots at the pub…

So after all the work I put in the week leading up to it, I bloody missed the whole thing! :mad: Ohh well I now have a Schmick looking SS! :cool :

B-)

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Curious what you think of the dodo polish was thinking about buying some and the prep?

Whats it like to use how hard, hows it last, hows it look in person etc..

Looks nice in the pics

There is this cars twin in Melbourne actually thought it was yours another white vn ss clean rig..

Whats the go with the ford?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Curious what you think of the dodo polish was thinking about buying some and the prep? Whats it like to use how hard, hows it last, hows it look in person etc.. Looks nice in the pics There is this cars twin in Melbourne actually thought it was yours another white vn ss clean rig.. Whats the go with the ford?

Dodo Juice is Mint! They are very easy to use, the clay barring took awhile to do but that was because it was the first time it had been done so won’t be as dirty next time. I used the Meguiars Ultimate Polish because I only had the Lime Prime Lite which is the same as Lime Prime just contains no micro abrasives. Still used the LPL after the Polish and it made it so much smoother and glossy. The Diamond White is a hard wax so it gives a really crisp, glass like finish and should last up to 3 months if cared for right and looks amazing in the sun!  :yes:

And Really? Hahaha Did it have the Venetians? Definitely wasn’t me but  :-)

And the ford is a mates drag ute, doesn’t have a motor at the moment but has a fuck off turbo in the tray!  ;-)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.