HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool Room3D Printed Miniature Gearbox

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Pretty cool and also that hydro dipping is amazing.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So want a 3d printer, only problem is better ones are coming out all the time. Agreed that hydro dipping is a big freaky.

Profile photo of braddles
    braddles
    Participant

I’d love to see the printed version/assembly

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If you spend a little more, you get the one that will print in ABS, that way you can actually use the parts as is. Be nice for example to model up in 3D a new dash surround with the holes etc for the gauges, then print it out. Bit of light sanding, paint it up and away you go. The big advantage is once you have perfected one, you can just print off an many as you need. Awesome technology :)

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

yeah I love the 3D printers. I’ve also considered buying one as they have come down in price a lot over the past couple of years. But I’m going to wait a bit, it’s still a relatively new technology. The entry level printer resolution still isn’t great. Won’t be long before the entry level printers are putting out the same or better quality than the higher level printers worth $20K are putting out now.

I build scale models, so it would be real handy for this sort of thing. At the moment I’m building a 1/10 scale radio control Bell UH-1B ‘Huey’. Can’t find the right scale pilot for it. I could also print the instrument panel, seats, pilot controls etc. Would be so easy to just to find a 3D image and print it.

Also I paid $90 from Ebay for a set of 10 NOS plastic gutter rail clips for the VH. I could have easily created a 3D image of one of these clips in a free 3D program like Blender and then printed a set. Could sell them for half the price of the NOS items on Ebay and still make a killing

• This reply was modified 8 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ would be perfect for what you want, if you do and you ever need anything 3D modeled for it, let me know :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^^ actually come to think of it, if any members on here ends up buying one, let me know, I would be happy to donate some time doing 3D modelling, and would happily pay a small price to get bits made up. Could be a good thing for the forum.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

^^ actually come to think of it, if any members on here ends up buying one, let me know, I would be happy to donate some time doing 3D modelling, and would happily pay a small price to get bits made up. Could be a good thing for the forum.

Did someone say model up the VN/VS manual gear surround and start making and selling them before Rare Spares do and make a killing!!! You are Welcome :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wouldn’t be difficult to have one 3D laser scanned, little bit of tidying ip in CAD then printing it. Anyon eountthere have access to a laser scanner?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.